March 2nd, 2011

He's making a list, and checking it twice. Gonna find out which kitchen intern is going to suck or not. Chris Cosentino is coming to town.

Five Supplies To Bring Your First Day in a Kitchen: Chris Cosentino

Read more about Chef Cosentino at his site OffalGood.com, and catch him in the kitchen at Incanto or at his salumeria Boccalone.

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Celebrity Chefs • Chris Cosentino • News • Think

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Joiey

This guy sounds like a total asshole!!

August 27, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  2. John Christophe

As less than a novice when it comes to understanding the ins-and-outs of a kitchen, why must each person have their own set of knives? How do they keep track of their own knives? One doesn't keep one's own knives on one, does one?

Also, how much time is there to write down a recipe, not to mention to reference it? Is it not recommended that one memorize the recipes?

On average, how long does it take to move from intern to chef de cuisine? One decade? Two? More?

August 26, 2011 at 12:50 am |
  3. qwerty1078

i love chefs with foul mouths....

March 2, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
  4. Quinn

Chef Chris: One thing you need on your first day of shooting a video: a light.

March 2, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  5. Chris

this is really silly huh? common sense. most if not all of this you learn in culinary school?

March 2, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • chef cal

no you dont learn this you either have it or its branded in you by pure spite...

March 2, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  6. Bruce Richardson

@ various rudeness apologists

Is that really the message, that some how being a chef versus being any number of other things (where the stakes can be higher than a plate of grub) entitles a person to rudeness? I can't agree. The most talented and effective people I've met have a common trait–they are respectful and humble, and they speak with their talent, not their ego. This guy could have delievered the entire message informatively and with just as much entertainment value by being funny, or endearing, or quick...instead, he chose condescending and dismissive.

March 2, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Death Metal Chef

His target audience is aspiring professionals, not rachael ray wannabe's. There is no room in a pro kitchen for pleasantries. If you have thin skin and can't deal with the mean man calling you an idiot, you have no place in the restaurant biz. Perform well or GTFO. Being a chef is not an excuse to be rude, being a chef MAKES you rude after years of dealing with fresh culinary grads who can't seem to grasp the most basic of concepts despite a 4 year education. Maybe cooking for a living isn't as dangerous as the military or law enforcement, but make no mistake about how dangerous it is. People lose fingers. People without proper footwear slip and break bones. People get burned in ways that would make a firefighter cringe. Just because the stakes aren't life-or-death, doesn't mean there's no danger. If you're too stupid to have these 5 basics on day 1, chances are you're stupid enough to pull some shenannigans that can seriously injure yourself and those around you. Lose focus for a split second at the wrong moment and someone's going to the hospital. Thank god for the restaurant biz. It seems to be the one profession left that hasn't been ruined by political correctness and spineless jellyfish that need to have every request prefaced with the word "please". If you need your cooking instruction sugary sweet and nicey-nice, I suggest you go watch rachael ray or paula deen. I'm sure they have something "yummo" waiting for you!

March 2, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  7. GuyFierri

Hey, c'mon guys... I Host "Minute to Win it" and "Triple D"! I'm the best!

March 2, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • somedude

haha, what happened to Diners, Drive-ins & Dives!?!

March 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  8. Death Metal Chef

Maybe you find his attitude condescending, but as a chef who has dealt with my fair share of culinary grads, believe me it is more than warranted. A six figure culinary education cannot buy common sense – something which most fresh grads seem to lack. A chef with a large kitchen is arguably one of the busiest people on the planet. There is NO TIME to deal with the sort of BS that most recent grads seem to tote around like a backpack. These 5 things that Chef mentioned are the most basic necessities of working in a pro kitchen, but you would be surprised how many kids show up on day 1 without them. Walk a mile in this man's shoes before you criticize his cynicism. FYI – this guy is the prince of nice compared to most chefs in the biz.

March 2, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
    • chef cal

Totally agree...

March 2, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  9. Michael

What the hell is wrong with all you cry babies. The chefs have been there and done that!! You haven't you have to earn you place in line. These Chefs aren't even close to being as MEAN as a DRILL INSTRUCTOR. If you cry babies want to be be a lead chef, try McDonalds. I understand that would probably be easier for you. They the Chefs have a responsibility to the owners and investors, and above all the customers to produce a great product and if you all can't deal with it, Go check out the fast food places, or the greasy spoon down on the corner. I had the same problems these chefs had when I had my cabinet/furniture shop. Every person claimed to be a cabinet maker yet most of them had no idea what a blind finger joint was, or how to lay veneer yet they all wanted there pay check at the end of the week no matter how much material they wasted. Many of my people told me that I was an A$$ h__e, I told them to go somewhere else to work, if it was that hard. Because my name went on that product I was selling. So if you whinners can't deal with it, Pay back your folks for all the money they spent helping you get into a school. There is a big difference between School and the real world. So if you get the chance to work for a GREAT CHEF, Take full advantage of everything that he is willing to teach you. And be grateful of the chance. Not everyone is that lucky to work under the best.

March 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
    • Calmdown

Uh huh! You are a chef, aren't you? I can smell the attitude before even smelling your food! No thanks, I do not need teachers like you! I will live on sandwiches if I can help it!

March 2, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
      • Michael

Calmdown, yes I was a Chef, I'm retired. And I can tell you, you would never had made it in any of the kitchens I've worked in. And I'm really glad I never had you working for me, Because you couldn't handle the pressure... And enjoy your sandwiches. I also get the impression that you don't keep a job very long do you? Because you seem to know more than the boss!!!!

March 2, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
  10. ZenBirder

Arrogant prick-a legend in his own mind. I have met decent, well-mannered chefs. This little worm needs medication.

March 2, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  11. ChefGirl1981

I got a Bachelor's in Food Science, went on to Culinary School and did a culinary internship. I can certainly attest to how condescending most chefs are. It really is a shame, since so many of them are so naturally talented. During my time in the kitchen I could not see the point of calling someone names and swearing at them because of something as menial as a potato or a fillet of fish. Yes, I understand that it's money, but there are much better ways to earn respect. The best chefs I've ever had were the ones who took the time to teach and went out of their way to help me hone my skills. Unfortunately with the demands of the industry, not all chefs can do that.

March 2, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • ChefGirl1981

By the way, I agree with Consentino's supply list completely. If you have gotten far enough in your education to land a culinary internship, those items would be common sense. However, his "i can cook therefore I'm holier than thou" attitude is just old and tired. He should let his food speak for itself and ditch the arrogance.

March 2, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
      • Will

When you become a sous trying to get covers out, then you'll know why. You will yell. You will curse. You'll become every stagiare's worst nightmare. Then, at the end of dinner service, you'll go have Jaegermeister shots with the crew and all will be right with the world.

March 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  12. jillmarie

What were the five supplies? My work computer has limited visibilty, I can't watch the video. Thanks to anyone who is kind enough to fill me in!

March 2, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • someguy

A decent notebook to write down recipes in (so you don't need to be told twice), a sharpie to label stored food with (label food with name of dish, date & your initials), a clean pair of shoes with no holes, etc., a sharp, non-serrated (vegetable) peeler, a knife kit including a chef's knife, a paring knife and a sharpening steel.

March 2, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  13. zug

The points themselves are good and reasonable, but how many years has this guy spent cultivating the horrible attitude? It's been some time since I've seen such a self-important windbag in public! Maybe he's a good cook but for his own sake I hope he doesn't try acting like that outside the kitchen.

March 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  14. Chef Awesome

Most chefs are assholes. They are rude, obnoxious, sexist, self-absorbed and narcassistic. They have to be in order to control a kitchen full of people, get orders out on time during the dinner rush on a Friday and Saturday when every dish has a substitution, and some of your staff barely speaks English. Needless to say the divorce rate amongst chefs is pretty high...

March 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • chef cal

Kind of random points there but yes, things can get very hectic and yes our tempers are short when the train derails. This business is understood by few outside of it and most "normal" people dont understand it. I would love to have the idea that yes were here to serve you all the time but its very hard. As a chef you're under alot of pressure to deliver a good product in reasonable time. When any number of factors occur and change to rhythm of the kicthen, the shell that one can create that holds things together can burst and then emotions can bubble to the surface and is very hard to put away. Were people too not robots and we have to put most of those things away when we work so its with no surprise that when they do break free theyre exponentially worse then most people

March 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
  15. Tard

Because that's how they were raised and most of these people are undereducated.

March 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • PS

So true! Such condescending people generally will not succeed in their careers long term. But hey, somehow these chefs seem to think they can! Not sure what is in the food they eat!

March 2, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  16. PS

Not sure why every one of the TV chefs have such patronizing attitudes and mean dispositions! May be they should ask all aspiring young chefs to find kinder and wiser mentors first!

March 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,308 other followers