February 25th, 2011

1. Mrs. Sherman

I pack a triple lunch for my daughter, even though she is eligible for reduced cost lunch. I instruct her to share her lunch (discretely) with the other school children who are hungry. She is also instructed to share her school lunch too. She can't live with the fact that others are hungrier and would give her entire lunch away and go without for others. Does it make it a lot tighter? Absolutely. Is it the right thing to do? Absolutely. I have seen some of the students with whom she shares her lunches gain a bit of weight throughout the year. Food stamps today are not enough to feed a family. They only last for about 20 days. I am expected to feed a three person family for $200.00 a month !?! My neighbors lost a total weight of over 100 lbs between the three of them on food stamps and charity. I am lucky enough to be able to spend $35.00 a month in addition to our food stamps. We get foods stamps even though my husband has worked at the same job for ten years. I feel privileged to help these children. How come it often comes down to the poor people to help each other. Am I entitled to help to help others? Yes, if I want to live with my conscience. Do I feel entitled? No. Are others? Absolutely. We are all entitled to food, shelter and education. To not help fund such necessities is selfish, cruel, callous and entitled (I am entitled to all my money for me and I shouldn't have to pay my taxes to help anybody else!) How greedy. We need to help these children to succeed. To not feed these children in our society is asking for almost 20% of the population to continue to need help into adulthood and beyond. How much more expensive.

July 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  2. Porcupine

My Daughter always comes hungry from school. Crap they feed them is uneatable and most kids will get 15 min or even less to eat. Bad, bad and bad people in the schools!!! No more Unions for you naughty uselesses.

April 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Jerv@Porcupine

One solution to your problem is to pack your daughter a healthy, filling lunch, not bash the unions.

April 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  3. fh

I remember a few years ago, my son came home from school in 7th grade, shocked and very sad. He told me of how the kids in the lunchroom were complaining of the horrible food served. (Normal kid complaining) when a boy heard them talking and said he would take whatever they didnt want. Then he told my son that this was the only food he gets to eat. That they had no food for the weekends at home. And, he was so hungry and this food tasted so good. It shook my son. And, never again did I hear him complain about he food at school. This touch of real hunger, next to him changed him. My son has grown into a young man with a tender heart for those in need. It is around us, all we have to do is open our eyes, and our hearts and we will see it.

February 25, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  4. Becca

@Evil Grin – As a former school teacher, I can tell you that no matter how the video comes across, they are not talking about just a meal missed. Many school age children do not get food anywhere other than school. If that is the only meal they can get, then it is no wonder they are falling asleep, unable to pay attention, and not learning at the same rate as all the rest. I had one child whose mother would not provide a homemade lunch or buy a hot lunch for her child. He simply didn't eat. When the special education dept. spent money on snacks the poor kid would not eat it for fear of getting in trouble. When we talked to the mom she said she 'wasn't interested in our charity.' It is a crime when people act like their children are no better than the strays on the street, and do not deserve better treatment.

February 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Snowbunny@Becca

It was your responsibilty, and the school's, to contact social services. I hope you did and just forgot to mention it.

February 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  5. Truth

Given our level of affluence this is nothing short of a travesty. Given the proven studies that kids learn better when they are not hungry, I do not understand the reluctance to fund school lunch/breakfast programs. We fund school infrastructure, teachers and support staff and supplies, this should be done as well.

February 25, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  6. Evil Grin

Ban Comic Sans!

I don't know that I ever would have thought of going to a teacher and telling them I was hungry if I hadn't eaten breakfast. I assumed before watching this that it was talking about chronic hunger, but it seems like it's just talking about students who simply didn't eat a meal or two that day.

February 25, 2011 at 10:41 am |