Lunchtime poll – is your beer gay enough?
February 22nd, 2011

"Baby, what's the matter? Is there something wrong with your beer?"

(Sigh.) "No...it's fine. It just could be, I dunno...gayer, I guess."

A colleague guided us to a Time article about Minerva, a small brewery in Jalisco, Mexico brewing artisan honey-ales that "will appeal to gay men and lesbians whose refined tastes have been put on the back burner by beer manufacturers."

Well - that was news to us. We were operating under the wacky assumption that gay men, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered people were physiologically identical to straight people and that taste has pretty much zip to do with sexual or gender orientation, but clearly we were wrong. Wrongwrongwrongwrongwrong. Because this is in the news.

Seriously - we are all for gay-owned, gay-positive advertising messaging for all manner of products, but that notion that there is a collective gay palate is just totally goofypants to us.

Read LGBT Libation: Mexican Brewery Introduces World's First 'Gay Beer'

Posted by:
Filed under: Advertising • Beer • Buzz • Lunchtime Poll • Sip

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Sara

They mean happy gay right?.....right?...

February 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  2. mamablueyz

I regularly drink beer with gay people (daughter, friends, and sister) and they drink the same exact beers that I drink. Does this make me Gay? Please don’t tell my husband.

February 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  3. Gabe

Well, Miller Lite apparently thinks you're gay if you think all commercial lite beer tastes the same so...

February 22, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
  4. da

your closing thought is superb. LGBT, whatever, but the idea that there is a uniquely gay palate is simply outrageous. not gay, but seems to me that such presumption could b insulting ...

February 22, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  5. Gary

May I please borrow the phrase "goofypants?" It might be gay, it might not be, but it's hilarious!

February 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

And so it shall be thus! Please to enjoy.

February 22, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  6. Steve

This reminds me of that hilarious SNL commercial with Sandler and Farley for Schmit's Gay (or whatever it was called). "If you're thirsty, and you're gay, grab a Schmit's Gay".

February 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

That's what I thought of IMMEDIATELY, too. Ha!

February 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  7. M Pica

Every beer advert except for 2-3 targeted in Boystown in Chicago that were hand painted are targeted at straight men and to a lesser extent women. Specifically targeting gay and lesbian boozers is nothing new. Are you going to get up in arms over gay bars next?

February 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

Like was said in the bit at the end - we're all for gay-friendly marketing. Everyone should be celebrated! It's the weird implication that every single gay person shares a collective sense of taste that's just sort of other-izing and odd.

February 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

We are the Borgsss. Prepare to be ASSimilated, resistance is preferred.

February 22, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  8. TimD

I tried a Strawberry Ale from Abita this weekend, I kind of liked it. That made me feel a bit gay.

February 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Sara

Abita Strawberry is like a religion down here in NOLA. I'm also particularly fond of Purlple Haze. Its a raspberry ale! I never thought I would be a beer drinker, but now I enjoy one with dinner and my hubby whenever I can! Woots for ABITA!!!

February 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  9. Caroline

What about fruit beers? Or beers that you put fruit in? Lambic anyone...I mean if that doesn't gay, what does. Wait, last I heard drinking wine was gay. But I drink both beer and wine...now I'm confused.

February 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Beer and fruit don't mix. Unless it's a lime in your Corona. Then you're good.

February 22, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
      • Jerv

Amen to that!!

February 22, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  10. Evil Grin

It's not about taste, it's about cornering a marketing niche. I'm sure it tastes exactly the same as just about any other beer on the market. They are just making a special effort to reach out to gay people in the hopes that they will rally around it and they'll make incredible sales. This happens all the time in men's/women's products. (You didn't really think that a disposable razor that's colored pink was really specially formulated for a woman, right?)

In this case, it's risky, I'd think. Whenever you cater to one group of people, you risk alienating the majority of another group. I don't think a whole lot of straight men, even women, are going to rush over to buy a beer specifically marketed to gays. If that community doesn't buy the whole marketing spiel about the beer, then they're sunk.

February 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • Jdizzle "The Analyst" McHammerpants

Yep. No offense, but you would never catch me drinking Brown Eyed Beer.

February 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
      • Evil Grin

Guinness? (Sigh) Don't you have a gayer beer here?

I can't even see a gay person saying something like that.

February 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
      • Turkleton

Isn't what what "Chichelob" Ultra is...?

February 22, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  11. Mark L

I dont evven know what my opinion is on this one.

February 22, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  12. Richard Simmons

The bubbles tickle my nose!! Ah hahaha, teee hee.

February 22, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  13. JBJingles

Love, love, love the "goofypants" comment. Put a smile on my face! :) Glad the pup is doing good!

February 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  14. Boy George

Unless I missed something, it would be helpful if their website was in English.

February 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  15. Truth@Kat, AlleeD

My guess is that our old friend vapor will show himself on this one.

And Kat, btw, that is great news about Whippet...!

February 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

And thank you for your kind thoughts on that! I left her at home under a giant mound of sofa pillows and she seems to be recovering nicely.

February 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
      • Mildred

Oh good to know that the recovery is going well.

February 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  16. AleeD

Wow ........ really? ROFLMAO! If I drank beer, I'm not really sure how gay it should be. How does one rank a beer on the gay scale?

February 22, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  17. Truth

Stereotype much?

February 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

Exactly the point.

February 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • AleeD@Truth

Do you want to keep count of the trolls this one will flush out? :)

February 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Mildred

Yeah... that's my feeling. I've never had anyone I know accept or reject a drink based on it's "gayness" or lack thereof.

February 22, 2011 at 3:20 pm |