Lick the Screen: New Orleans – Muffuletta
February 16th, 2011

This, my friends, is a muffuletta. I suppose you could eat one somewhere else in the United States - there's probably not a law against it - but why would you? You could be chowing down on this meat and cheese and olive salad slathered sandwich in the elegantly dessicated, palm tree shaded court of the Napoleon House. That way you'd have a Pimms Cup or a brandy or bourbon milk punch to sip (I was told to "do the right thing and have a breakfast cocktail," and who am I to cross Poppy Tooker?), and you'd also BE IN NEW ORLEANS.

Then again, your friends who are TOTALLY JEALOUS of your RIGHTEOUS SANDWICH would be all yelling at you that you're doing it wrong - that a muffuletta should never be served warm, and should only rightly be purchased at Central Grocery and you'd feel all dumb and stuff. But then again, to heck with them. You're in the Big Easy with a muffuletta and they're not. Nyah.

Laissez les bons temps rouler! Eatocracy is in New Orleans this week getting ready for the second edition of our Secret Supper. We'll be sharing the people, purveyors and places that make this such a significant food town, and hope you'll join in with your questions, memories, restaurant suggestions and general bonhomie.

1. Franklin

Napoleon House is the worst muffuletta I've ever had. I couldn't even take more than one bite. I do prefer the one at Central, but I am a fan at Cochon Butcher

February 7, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
  2. blue88s

NO!!! It is not a muffeletta! Even your picture is not a REAL muffeletta. I only see two slices of meat...or something. It may be a "Muffelletta Sandwich" or a Genuine N'awleans Olive Relish Muffel" or some other pertubation, but the ONLY REAL muffelleta is from Central Grocery. It's actually the setting that adds to the experience...Napoleon House is wonderful, but pretentious when it comes to a muffelleta. Alabama? Seriously?

March 8, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • byndpst

I couldn't agree more. I've had many sandwichs from all over that look like & are even called Muffuletta, but I have to say none are better then Central Grocery. EVERY time I make it to NOLA, I'm in line for sure at Central Grocery. Get a muff & Abita to go. Take it over to the river, sit on the steps & just stuff myself. head back to the hotel & sleep it off. Fun times!!!

March 8, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
      • Kat Kinsman

I've still gotta stand by my Cochon Butcher muffuletta. Not just the best one of the bunch that I've had - perhaps the best sandwich I've ever had, period.

But - side note - it brings me such huge joy to see that people are arguing so passionately about this topic. New Orleans and food - it's a special bond.

March 8, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
      • Dalandlord

What a load of crap! If you want a poor excuse for a Muff from rude people who are treating tourists like suckers go to central grocery.

If you want a great muffuletta from nice people like the locals do, get in the car or grab a cab for a 10 minute trip to Arabi Food store in Arabi. You won't regret it. And if you are buying a couple the better price will. Over your cab fare. Go to Arabi, grab a Muffuletta and. Bottle of Barq's and live large like we do.

Don't be held up by the muffuletta nazi that sells you an overpriced muffuletta with nothing on that will throw you out if you complain.

January 22, 2014 at 1:03 pm |
  3. Lavette Rubiano

Good post! jfgoiprjg

February 24, 2011 at 6:40 am |
  4. Sam Meyer

I love 'em at Central Grocery, but even if they're hot, it's hard to beat the setting at Napoleon House. Especially their Pimm's Cup.

February 16, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
  5. OliveSalad

I think Central Grocery's muffuletta is over-rated. Maybe it was better MANY years ago (I've had several, but the first was probably 6 or 7 years ago). I've had better ones at lesser-known places in NOLA (and even Alabama).

February 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  6. NOLA EX-Pat

The Grocery's the best, but there's also Dimartino's on the West Bank. It's right off the expressway, and it's delicious.

February 16, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  7. Mister Krabs

The best muffuleta is not at Central Grocery, it is at Nor-Joe across the canal off old metarie road. Just look at the pic on their page and you tell me that central has a better sandwich.

February 16, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • Dalandlord

Nor-joe is another good choice, ten minutes from the FQ in the other direction from Arabi food store. Heck if you are in town a while do both. Sorry about the typos in the other post, this typing on an iPhone is tough.

January 22, 2014 at 3:22 pm |
  8. Hungry Tummy

Yummmm... my stomach just growled.

February 16, 2011 at 11:33 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,388 other followers