Food & Wine's The People's Best New Chef 2011: Mid-Atlantic
February 15th, 2011

If there's one thing our friends at Food & Wine do even better than throwing fabulous festivals all around the country, developing stellar recipes and generally making our lives more appetizing - it's identifying up and coming talent from around the country.

Since 1988, the editors of Food & Wine have feasted their way from coast to coast, seeking out 10 innovative chefs, each with a distinctive vision, creating exceptionally delicious food. They've bestowed upon these shining stars the title of Best New Chef. This year, the dining public has a say.

In each of the ten designated regions of the country, you - yes, YOU - may vote for the chef whose restaurant has most significantly stirred your soul and your palate. The winner of the The People's Best New Chef 2011 will be the subject of a profile in the July issue of Food & Wine and will no doubt hold you in tremendous gratitude and esteem until the end of time.

We and the editors of Food & Wine would greatly prefer that you only vote for chefs whose restaurants you've actually visited, so the "chef" part of The People's Best New Chef 2011 really holds true. See more details at and let the clicking commence!

Midwest | Pacific | Southwest | Northwest | New England
Southeast | New York Area | Great Lakes | Mid-Atlantic | Gulf Coast

Nicholas Stefanelli
Powers and Crewe Photography

Nicholas Stefanelli
Bibiana - Washington, DC

Aha moment: “When I ate a tomato out of my grandparents’ garden at age 2.”

David Guas
Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar and Eatery

David Guas
Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar and Eatery - Arlington, VA

How he relaxes: “Hunting or fishing with fellow chefs, or taking long rides on his eggplant-colored Harley Davidson.”

Daniel Giusti
Courtesy of Butch Bernstein

Daniel Giusti
1789 - Washington, DC

On music in the kitchen: “I was trained in places where you don’t talk. Nobody says anything, it’s very serious. Here we have music. When I have to focus, I can block it out.”

Courtesy of Steve Legato

Charles "Chip" Roman
Blackfish - Conshohocken, PA

Why he’s amazing: Because his obsession with fish shows in his confident, original dishes.

David Gilberg
Courtesy of Koo Zee Doo

David Gilberg
Koo Zee Doo - Philadelphia, PA

Why he’s amazing: Because he brings comforting Portuguese flavors likes seafood stew and baked duck rice to a Philadelphia BYOB.

Jeff Michaud
Courtesy of Osteria

Jeff Michaud
Osteria - Philadelphia, PA

Menu inspirations: The cuisine of his wife’s Italian grandmother; his braised rabbit with pancetta and sage is based on the way she cooks her home-raised rabbits in a wood stove.

Pierre Calmels
Jason Varney

Pierre Calmels
Bibou - Philadelphia, PA

On schooling young chefs: “Younger chefs, they don’t know how to break down whole ingredients anymore. You put a rack of veal in front of them and they look at it like it’s from a whole different world. But I teach them.”

Justin Severino
Tana Butler

Justin Severino
Elements - Pittsburgh, PA

Favorite time of year to cook: Fall. “We’ve got apples, pomegranates, squash, pumpkins, figs; we can also cook with beer. Plus, pork is more acceptable in the fall.”

Sonja Finn
Heather Mull

Sonja Finn
Dinette - Pittsburgh, PA

Best known for: Her crunchy, flavorful breadsticks. She makes 1,500 sticks a week for her 40-seat restaurant.

Kyle Bailey
Courtesy of Birch & Barley

Kyle Bailey
Birch & Barley - Washington, DC

Worst cooking scar: “I’ve got one on my chin. I was working in Miami, and I was making croutons. I took the tray out of the oven and put it in the window, which was just about chin level. Someone called my name and I turned around really quickly, and it burned me underneath my chin. The funny thing is that I did it again the next week! I got a double burn, so I started growing a goatee. Now I’ve got a beard.”

Midwest | Pacific | Southwest | Northwest | New England
Southeast | New York Area | Great Lakes | Mid-Atlantic | Gulf Coast

Voting starts on 2/15/11 and ends 3/1/11 at One vote per computer per region. Votes from any automated means or intended to disrupt the voting process (in American Express Publishing Corporation’s sole discretion) will be void. Chefs with the highest eligible votes per region will become finalists (10 total). The People's Best New Chef title will be determined based on highest number of eligible votes received during the voting period. All votes subject to verification.

© 2011 American Express Publishing Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by:
Filed under: Best New Chef 2011 • Content Partner • Food and Wine

1. دانلود نزم افزار

Abnormally well written piece of writing!!!

November 19, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  2. Mom

JUSTIN, Great Race, Your still our #1

March 2, 2011 at 6:54 am |
    • Peggy Hench

My son works with Chef Justin and he is just finishing up culinary school, he is learning so much from Justin, he talks about him and his culinary talent all the time he sounds like someone to look up to.
      Congrats to him for his achievements, I hope to meet him someday he sounds awesume you must be so proud!

March 2, 2011 at 10:25 am |
  3. ed

does anyone know who won?

March 2, 2011 at 12:57 am |
  4. ed

whenwill the winner be announced?

March 2, 2011 at 12:45 am |
  5. ed

i have been locked out, this is his Dad, I am so very proud of him
    he is an awesome man!

March 2, 2011 at 12:22 am |
  6. jenna Mills

Kyle is really hot...the hottest chef winner of this competition..woo hoo!

March 2, 2011 at 12:21 am |
    • ed

is it finally over?

March 2, 2011 at 12:22 am |
    • Peggy Hench

Congrats to Kyle

March 2, 2011 at 10:26 am |
  7. Mike

Looks like Kyle did.

March 2, 2011 at 12:07 am |
  8. ed

who won?

March 2, 2011 at 12:06 am |
  9. Aunt Carol

We are all so very proud of you, Justin!

March 1, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  10. David G

Congratulations to the 10 talented and accomplished Chefs that were selected for this nomination. I'm fortunate enough to work with Justin, and have seen his talent both in the kitchen and with his team. I'm proud of his recognition by Food & Wine Magazine and thankful to the thousands that took the time to vote for him. Of course, winning this popularity contest would be great, but don't lose site that this recognition is a positive for all participants. Again, congratulations to all the chefs that were named.

March 1, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
  11. Math

1% is not 10,000 votes

March 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
    • The Dude

It is if you are "Mechanically" voting.

March 1, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
  12. Carly

Everyone should come to Churchkey to support Kyle tonight. I'm here now and they are having a "rock the vote" party, (got an email about it yesterday.) Everyone is in great spirits and is all about the love for Kyle. Wish I could vote more than once but alas I have only one iphone!

March 1, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
  13. Math

1% is like 100 votes.. so 100 votes in an hour is mechanical? haha No what that someone that sends out blast asking their friends to vote thru email, constant contact, twitter, facebook and whatever else they have available.

Cheating? NO...Just using their brain....Keep bashing whoever gets .01% and you won't sleep at night wondering "where in the world did those 4 votes come from"...

Some people are just plain nasty to others.

March 1, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • The Dude

Hate to break this to ya buddy, but everytime you vote, the votes accumulated goes up, so 1 vote does not equal 1%. 10 peaple vote, the accumulated amout is now 110. say 10000 votes were cast. What is 1% of 10000? You do the Math.

March 1, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  14. Jill

Justin is an amazing chef....I am so proud of him!

March 1, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  15. The Dude

Did a little test, I brought up two sessions in the webrowser, both with the Poll Results. Did a refresh on session two after one minute, Kyle Bailey just gaines .09% – IN ONE MINUTE. Come on, if that is not "Mechanical Voting", then what is. I can see a few percent in a week, but come one here, it will be 1% an hour. Oh yeah, now at two minutes, .15%

March 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  16. Tom

I'll go to Bayou Bakery and shake his hand if I get a "free" snack. ;) Seriously I voted for Justin but find this bickering pretty amusing. And the stuff about giving "prizes" to people...Whatever works ....See no reason not to.

March 1, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  17. Nate

Perhaps Guas's success has had something to do with the article that was recently published by Southern Living about his restaurant? Is Southern Living in on the conspiracy too?
    It is all too easy to attack someone's character online, where everything is anonymous. I suggest that naysayers go to Bayou Bakery themselves and see if you still question David Guas's integrity once you meet him and shake his hand.

March 1, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  18. Josh Powie Wowie

Kyle cook good and he be cute

March 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  19. Ed

I thought that this was to be a fair contest created by the fine people of Food and Wine Magazine. We here in America at the very least need to be able to let the people vote and not use the technology to beat the system. Food and Wwine Magazine and the editors of the contest need to strongly take a look at the results from this particular poll
    Team Kyle, we need to pull together today and into the night

March 1, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
1 2 3
| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 9,986 other followers