New Orleans: F.O.N.E.S.-ing it in
February 14th, 2011

Laissez les bons temps rouler! Eatocracy is in New Orleans this week getting ready for the second edition of our Secret Supper. We'll be celebrating the people, purveyors and places that make this such a significant food town, and hope you'll join in with your questions, memories, restaurant suggestions and general bonhomie.

My old colleague Bob Johnson used to complain of his debilitating case of F.O.M.S., or Fear Of Missing Something. It caused him to stay too late at the party, hang around for a beer or two past his bedtime and generally run himself ragged, convinced that an unmissable occurrence was right around the corner. It was rarely worth it.

Here on my maiden venture to New Orleans, I've got a different strain: F.O.N.E.S. or Fear Of Not Eating Something. It's an astonishing food town, with beignets, boudin, gumbo, muffaletta, po-boys, jambalaya and raw oysters abounding. I don't want to waste a single meal on something that may be sub-par (though I hear that's pretty difficult) but I'm also quite conscious of wanting to make the most of every mouthful, seeing as I waited so very long to get here.

Guide me. In the comments and in iReport, share your ultimate New Orleans restaurant crawl, lovingly documenting or describing your most essential dishes, and we'll include the most mouthwatering ones in our round-up at the end of the week. Get chomping!

iReport – Eating New Orleans and don't miss New Orleans: Cooking with Carville

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Cuisines • iReport • New Orleans • New Orleans • Secret Suppers • Travel

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. KT NOLA

Have seen Brennan's mentioned in a couple of posts. Unfortunately, they closed last year. Stanley's at Jackson Square is really good. Muriel's has an excellent crepe. Tujaque's is now opened for lunch, as well as dinner. Napoleon House is just good to kick back at.

February 28, 2014 at 9:40 pm |
  2. Monkey Jones

Yes to Parkway, and to leaving Mothers to the less-informed tourists. Definitely chicken tchoupotoulas at Coops. And try a hot chocolate with you beignets at Cafe Du Monde.

Also don't miss Crabby Jacks – Po Boy lunch counter with the same owner and manager as Jacque-I-Mos

February 12, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
  3. Erica

You MUST have the charbroiled oysters at Drago's Seafood Restaurant, which is located in the N.O. Hilton. They are often imitated, but never duplicated.

February 12, 2013 at 9:19 am |
  4. Fozzy

If you don't go to Coop's you're missing out, great food. And for a nicer quieter meal, the Italian Barrel was spectacular, my wife and I loved it

February 12, 2013 at 7:35 am |
  5. Yummy

Lil' Dizzy's, Felix's, Uglisich's (though they might have retired) and of course Commander's and Manale's

February 10, 2013 at 11:57 pm |
  6. Lauren

Parkway Bakery and Tavern for po'boys for sure. Two of the best restaurants in the city in my opinion are Dante's Kitchen and Atchafayla Cafe. Both are Uptown and don't get nearly the attention that Emeril's and John Besh's places get, but both are well worth the trip. For lunch I love Il Posto or St. James cheese company, or Steine's deli (all Uptown as well).

March 8, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  7. John

Mothers – Poydras and Tchoupitoulas streets. best. ham. ever. also noteworthy for the bloody mary's and any po' boy with debris, but the ham is what makes it worth the wait.

Pat O'briens for hurricanes. thats where they started and remain the best.

the gumbo shop – just off of bourbon always has something good on special and is affordable for lunch and early dinners

February 16, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  8. Absinthe Fairy

A late night burger at the Alibi on Iberville can't be beat! Alibi is a service-industry bar with a great beer selection and good, greasy burgers.

Liuzza's Roast Beef po' boy & a giant cold glass of rootbeer.

Brunch at Court of Two Sisters – the eggs benedict are divine!

Johnny's Po-Boys on St. Louis has the best hangover remedy – breakfast on a homemade biscuit.

Port of Call, Mr. B's, Camellia, and Cafe du Monde are excellent New Orleans standards

February 16, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  9. Calilou

You can not come to New Orleans during Mardi Gras without getting a king cake from Randazzo's.

February 15, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

I'm taking a class on King Cake making tomorrow!

February 15, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
  10. Wickedly Sharp

MiLa, Cochon, Elizabeths (Brunch, seriously, don't miss it), Bayona, anything from John Besh, GW Fins, NOLA, Iris, Parkway Bakery & Tavern for po-boys, JUANS FLYING BURRITO (do not miss it – I recommend the shrimp & pineapple quesedillas), skip the trinity and go to K-Pauls, and Maximos for Italian.

Skip: Mother's. It's turned into nothing more than a horrid tourist trap. The service is indifferent and the wait far too long for a mediocre po-boy.

February 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  11. cjkolt

my wife and i are coming to new orleans in june and looking for a real taste of the big easy. some of the places suggested are places we planned on hitting. this is perfect timing as we plan our stay. thanks!!!!

February 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Nola29

Breakfast-Camelia Grill, Lunch-Baru, Dinner-Luke. If you are going for Creole cuisine I would recommend Brennan's. Cajun Cuisine-Cochon. Of the Trinity Restaurants (Galatoire's, Antoine's, and Commander's Palace), I would recommend Galatoire's.

February 14, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
  13. Sam Meyer

Cannot recommend Dante's Kitchen or the Green Goddess highly enough. Or Chris McMillian at the Bar UnCommon.

Oh, and the Museum of the American Cocktail in the Southern Food & Beverage Museum.

February 14, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
  14. john

Welcome to NOLA! I live here. I am sure Mr. Carville gave you some good suggestions. The one not to miss is Cochon.
    Cochon is located on Tchopitoulas in the CBD. Everything on the menu is amazingly perfect. NO, I don't work there. You'll have to take your dessert togo, because the portions are big and you WILL finish everything on your plate. When you're done with dinner, slide over to the Butcher. Butcher is a sandwich shop next door to Cochon (also ran by Chef Donald Link). Butcher makes sandwiches, but also cures their own meat. Any questions? email me, I'd love to help anyway I can.

February 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

I tried going Sunday night but it was too late. I believe I see it in my future within the next day...

February 15, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
  15. kimbly

Parkway Bakery – roast beef dressed and don't skip the bread pudding!

February 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  16. Manda

Oh! and falafel and shwarma at Mona's!

February 14, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  17. Manda

Muffaletta from Central Grocery. Shrimp poboy from Rocky and Carlo's. Skip Ralph and Kacoo's, skip Copeland's, go for the Bloody Mary and breakfast at Blue Moon on Conti, ANYTHING at Cafe Mesparo and Mother's, a freeze at Camellia, beignets and cafe au lait (coffee and doughnuts) at Cafe Du Monde, travel to the northshore for thin-fried catfish at Middendorf's,

February 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  18. E.L

char grilled oysters (garlic, butter, parmesan awesomeness) at Felix's on Iberville, chicken tchopitulas (topped with shrimp in a tasso cream sauce) at Coop's on Decatur, shrimp and alligator cheesecake (creamy and spicy and melty) at Jaque-imo's, and an all that jazz (the most epic sandwich ever) from Verti Mart

February 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  19. Charlie

Oh, and it's Mardi Gras season...so a little king cake couldn't hurt.

February 14, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
  20. Charlie

You must try BBQ Shrimp...it's not like it sounds at all. Mr. B's on Rue Royal or Deanie's is a great option for this. Cochon De Lait & Turtle soup from Commander's Palace is another must.

February 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  21. jillmarie

Chicory coffee at Cafe Du Monde, anything at Brennan's (they originated bananas foster there) and hurricane at Pat O'Brien's (they originated hurricanes there!). Oh, and Emeril's restaurant.
    The whole town is filled with lots of wonderful places to go- I hope to return one day.

February 14, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  22. Liz

Gotta have: burger at Port of Call, omelette and a freeze (not a milkshake) at Camellia grill and a po-boy at the hopefully re-opened Verti Marte

February 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  23. Cindy

Parkway Poboys – Cant go wrong with anything

Ninja Sushi – best sushi anywhere. Get the Cajun Tuna Tataki & whatever is on special

Camellia Grille on Carrolton – great 12 seat diner

Deanie's – BBQ shrimp

Enjoy!!

February 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  24. Sara

Oh! And Ralph and Cucos!

February 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
  25. Sara

The onion soup from Cafe Maspero's. The Acme Oyster House. Liuzza's roast beef poboy. And of course a Cafe Aulait and Beignets from Cafe Dumonde!

February 14, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  26. Evil Grin

I've never been to New Orleans, so I can't help you, but I hope you find some tiny, hole-in-the-wall place there that serves the best food you've ever had. Somehow I imagine there's more than one of those places there.

February 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  27. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Strippers On Wheels
    – 4 reviews – Place page
    http://www.strippersonwheels.net – New Orleans – (504) 644-4602

February 14, 2011 at 11:48 am |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,389 other followers