Lunchtime poll – how you gonna woo?
February 11th, 2011

I'm an old married person and in fact will be away from my beloved husband on February 14th (did I mention that Eatocracy will be live from New Orleans all next week?), but if we were indeed going to be on the dine together, I'm pretty sure I know how it'd go down.

He'd make a steak, pattypan squash and butter-drenched hen of the woods mushroom and I'd seek out the blackest Madiran known to man (Bonny Doon Vineyard's "Heart of Darkness" if you're keeping score). No real reason, other than that's what we ate on our first Valentine's Day together in 2005, and we've done that ever since. Some traditions are worth repeating.

Frankly, we'd also rather not deal with Valentine's Night price-gouging, churn and burn "sexy" menus and the often icky spectacle of folks getting all romantical at too-close tables. I'm sure there are perfectly dandy V-Day dinners to be had (or the PR folks flooding my inbox would like for me to believe), but in my couple of decades of dating and marriage, I've yet to witness one.

You gonna chow down all romantic-like on Valentine's Day?

Previously - Lunchtime poll – a delicious proposal

1. Mark L.

I ignore this stupid holiday

February 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Reply
  2. JR

Where's the option, "at home with the entire family"...?

February 13, 2011 at 9:34 am | Reply
  3. Truth

Just bought some perfume for my bride and I will make dinner on Monday. Will also be getting her some Godiva Chocolates over the weekend.

February 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Reply
  4. 4U Mister

Pray for me, everyone–this year Valentine's dinner will be at a nice restaurant, with the MIL. She didn't get a birthday party, and hubby is feeling guilty...

Drat it all.

February 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Reply
    • Wow!

And celebrating what should be a romantic dinner that includes his mother wouldn't make him feel guiltier because this should be with just the love of his life?!? There ARE other days of the week you/he could have done celebrated MIL's birthday! Why do it this way?.

February 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Reply
    • B

Seriously?? You are way nicer than I am... I would've put my foot down. I'm not one of those people that like to make a big to do about Valentine's Day. I don't expect gifts or flowers or candy, but I do expect to us to give each other our undivided attention for an evening and use it as an excuse to spend some (increasingly few and far between!) quality time together. Even if it was just dinner at home and he invited the MIL, I would be so mad!

February 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Reply
      • 4U Mister

Thanks Wow and B–it's just me, he has always been a bit of a mama's boy, and me, well, I don't like conflict, I am such a push over–undivided attention?–when MIL is in the room, I seem to all but disappear. But, I will think of ways to make him pay...heh-heh-heh...likely will involve jewelry...

February 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Reply
      • Charlotte

Wow, I cannot imagine being so petty as to object to such a nice gesture. Valentine's isn't any different from any other day and there's no good reason you cannot celebrate it early – on the weekend – just as you point out the MIL could have her celebration on any other day as well.

February 11, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  5. Homebody

We used to go out for Valentine's Day, but I like to cook and it's much more affordable, not to mention the wine is better, so we are staying home. Since it is on a Monday, I probably will make something that I can prep on Sunday. Not sure what though...

February 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  6. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Step One: Cut a Hole in the Box...

February 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Reply
    • Caroline

Sick...funny, but still sick.

February 11, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Reply
    • AleeD

A heart-shaped hole. After all, it IS a special occasion. Just make sure the hole is large enough so you don't poke a hole in something you DON'T want a hole in!

February 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Reply
  7. AleeD

...with my spouse at home – munching on a special treat! We're getting a huge, heart-shaped chocolate chip cookie with lots of gooey frosting all over it.

Things at work have been crazy for my usually romantic love & I. Since (a) we had just celebrated our 15th Anniversary last Fall at THE BEST restaurant in town and (b) V-day is on a Monday this year, we agreed to tone it down a bit. And that's ok because we'll be together!! That's the BEST V-day gift EVER!!!

February 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Reply
  8. Matt

Skype date

February 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  9. foodiesarefun

We are having a museum day in NYC then Bowling / Beer / Pub Food that night at Brooklyn Bowl in Brooklyn, NY.

February 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Reply