Lunchtime poll – a delicious proposal
February 9th, 2011

Check your Champagne flute for foreign objects and don't chomp down too hard on that spoonful of chocolate souffle. If our inbox is to be believed, couples all over the country are going to be plighting their troth over Valentine's Day dinners at restaurants across the country. Should this happen to transpire at one of Kellari's restaurant outposts the couple will receive lifetime free dinner on Valentine's Day or their wedding anniversary.

Would you want the question popped over a romantic restaurant meal, or does the notion make you want to upchuck a truffle?

Valentine's Day dinner horror stories? We wanna hear 'em. Share below!

« Previous entry
  1. NCJ

My fiancee (RIP) proposed over a pork butt that we were smoking while somewhat intoxicated. Apparently he had the ring for weeks and was waiting for the perfect moment and he believed that was the perfect moment – and to be honest, it was. It reflected more of us and our passion for cooking and spending time together than any restaurant proposal could have.

February 24, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  2. soleada

I dont care for Valentine's Day either. I'll cook a special dinner for my bf, but neither of us go out of our way to buy special gifts. Christmas, my bday, & his bday (not to mention our kids' bdays) are all pretty close together. Lol $$ is tight when VDay comes around. Anywho, if he proposes, It'd be cool for him to do it randomly & private. I hate when a bunch of people focud their attention on me.

February 11, 2011 at 1:58 am |
  3. Chrysalis

If I ever recieve a proposal from my man, I don't mind where or how it's done–as long as he really means it and we're both ready, that's fine enough by me. =) Personally I'm looking forward to Valentine's Day this year–we'll actually be celebrating over the weekend, since the actual holiday is on a Monday (which school for me and work for him won't allow. :( ) We'll have fun, I'm sure! =D

February 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  4. cori

Ok so I was proposed to on my birthday at lunch with my then-boyfriend. He was obviously nervous and I wasn't ready to marry him. I reluctantly said yes, as to not hurt his feelings (even though no one seemed to be paying attention) but a few days later I said it wasnt happening. He knew. What an akward and uncomfortable situation.

GUYS, BE SURE SHE'LL SAY YES.

February 10, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  5. Cieje Valentine

It could be worse.. You could have been BORN on Valentine's day to a single mother, being forced to spend money on HER on YOUR birthday EVERY year, and being perpetually single on every Feb14. Yeah, that's where my online alias is from.

February 10, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Just A Thought

Perhaps your bitterness is why you are single....

February 15, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  6. Nick

I HATE Valentine's Day. If you're single it's a reminder of that and if you're in a relationship you have to spend a bunch of money on useless crap.

That being said, I wish I had made Valentine's Day coincide with something else, ideally my wedding. Then I could just kill two birds with one stone and only have one day a year when I'm forced to make romantic gestures whether I feel like it or not. Don't ge me wrong, I have no problem with being romantic but it should be my idea, not the calendar's.

February 10, 2011 at 9:56 am |
    • Queen of Everything@Nick

There is nothing a woman loves more than having her husband pick their wedding day to that he can "kill two birds with one stone." That's right up there with marrying on Elvis' birthday so you can remember your anniversary. LOL!

February 10, 2011 at 10:02 am |
    • Rins

I also hate valentines day. Actually, I hate any holiday where you are basically forced to buy a gift for someone. Luckily my husband feels the same way so we don't bother doing anything special on valentines day and for christmas the most we'll do is buy a gift together that both of us can use (for example we bought ourselves Rockband this past christmas).

When I feel like getting him a gift I don't feel like I have to wait for a holiday and it's great. It's even better because he doesn't expect the gift and knows I didn't "have" to buy the gift so I think it means a little more.

February 10, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  7. MrDolomite

Proposed on VD, but not at dinner.

February 10, 2011 at 8:38 am |
    • JDizzle McHammernuts

You mean you propsed "with VD" – how would you propose on a venereal disease?

February 10, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  8. Cat

My husband proposed to me Valentine's Day morning by buying me a star using my soon to be married namet and a card asking me if I would marry him. Very thoughtful and romantic. Still happily married.

February 10, 2011 at 8:32 am |
    • JDizzle McHammernuts

Which star did he buy you? Charlie Sheen?

February 10, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  9. michele

Aww I LOVE the mailbox/magazine proposal

February 10, 2011 at 1:03 am |
  10. JCizzle

More importantly, what is the best place to inform your spouse that you want a divorce? Dive bar? Classy restaurant? Baseball game? Things to consider...

February 10, 2011 at 12:57 am |
    • Formerly a Firefighter's Spouse

In front of their place of work just as they come off-shift. It was a public place where potential threats to my safety were minimized.

With the help of a friend and my parents, I moved out while my soon-to-be-former spouse was on-shift. I left a letter on the dining room table, then went to the firestation to discreetly wait for the shift to be over. Said what I had to say and proceeded with the divorce from there.

I understand that would only work for a minimal number of cases, but it worked for me. I covered my bases and got out of it in one piece – safely.

February 10, 2011 at 7:59 am |
  11. m

My husband created a scavenger hunt for me. He took me out to lunch on a random weekday, and at the end had the waiter deliver me an envelope with a clue written as a poem (and let me know he'd called my boss and gotten me out of work for the rest of the day). He then left me with his best friend and a giant SUV to drive me around solving the clues he'd left. Each poem clue led me to a new location of significance to us, where one of my friends or family members was waiting for me with a rose and a small gift. By the time the scavenger hunt ended, I was in the SUV with 12 of our closest friends, and ended up in the place where we'd had our first "date" (not really a date- we'd been in high school so we just went to hang out after school one day), I found him and both sets of our parents. He proposed in front of everyone we were close to, and had champagne, and roses for our moms too (so we also were able to get pics of the proposal). When he opened the ring box, I saw an exact replica of a 1920s art deco diamond and sapphire ring I'd fallen in love with on an antique website years before. He had kept the photo and had a jeweler reproduce it exactly. Then we all went out for a spur of the moment engagement party. So, sure, getting proposed to in a restaurant would have been fine- of course I would have still said yes. But, I really prefer what I got!

February 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
  12. Dizzle

I went to get my mail one day and received a bridal magazine addressed to me, but with his last name added. Turned around and he was kneeling in my driveway with flowers and a ring. He had been hiding in the bushes for almost an hour, waiting. Awwwwwww.....

February 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  13. Kenny

My best friend wasn't proposed to on Valentines Day, but it was pretty awesome anyways. Her and her boyfriend decided to take their camera and hike up a mountain one morning and take some pictures of the city in the distance. They got to the top and snapped a few pictures, then decided to set up the tripod and take some pictures of themselves in front of the view using the camera timer. After a few test shots, her boyfriend set the timer again, and a couple seconds before the shutter snapped, he got down on one knee with the ring. The resulting picture is priceless.

February 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  14. Eric Cartman

Valentine's day isn't a holiday anymore....

February 9, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • AleeD

[is this a South Park quote?] When was it ever?

February 10, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  15. jillmarie

I got engaged in a restaurant. It would have been a great experience no matter where it was. What I also loved was that my now husband gave our waiter a camera beforehand so the whole proposal was photographed! I even used those pictures in my montage for my wedding DVD, and got the pictures in black and white as well.
    He picked One if by Land, Two if by Sea in NYC because he read it was the most romantic restaurant in New York. Not too many diners said anything, except two nice gentleman. It was a wonderful night!

February 9, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  16. annie

I suppose it works for some people (one of my best friends was proposed to in a restaurant-the site of her and her husband's first date), but I don't want to be propsed to surrounded by people (and that includes family). Call me selfish, but I would prefer it to be in private and have that moment just for me and my fiance. If you need an audience to propose, I think there's something wrong.

February 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  17. TAM

I was proposed to on V-Day at home but I knew it was coming. Then we went out to a lovely wine and chocolate tasting at a local vineyard where I could show off my new ring.

February 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  18. Ana

My fiancé proposed to me on my birthday on a hot air balloon ride. He told me the night before my birthday to be ready to be dressed and ready to leave my house at 6 am. He showed up at my house with flowers. We drove for about half an hour and then I saw the hot air balloon. I thought this was the best birthday gift ever. When we reached the top, he got on one knee and asked if I would spend the rest of my life with him and I said yes. We are getting married next fall. It sure would have been an awkward ride down had I said no though.

February 9, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  19. NW

Propose wherever and whenever, but don't do the hide the ring in the food bit. It's stupid, dangerous, and has been done to death. If a guy did anything that "cheesy" (no pun intended), I'd feel demeaned, having to grub about for a ring. Put the ring on my finger or be prepared to lose it to the sanitation plant.

February 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • m

Truth!

February 9, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
  20. Amy

My husband and I were engaged last Valentine's day, although not at dinner. For Christmas, he gave me a long weekend trip to Colonial Williamsburg over Valentine's weekend (I've got a MA in Early American History, and he's getting his PhD...it's not for everyone, but it worked for us). We enjoyed our weekend, and for some reason, I didn't expect a thing (I figured if we were going to get engaged, he would pop the question early in the morning...so after 11 or so, I figured it was just another enjoyable trip). That evening, we went for a walk on the Palace Green where he asked me to marry him, and I was pretty much speechless so I don't think I actually said yes, but I did agree. We then went to dinner at one of the nice restaurants in town, called the Fat Canary. I was pretty shocked and excited, and unfortunately had no appetite because of it. However, he enjoyed a full, three-course meal congratulating himself on a job well done and a shocked bride to be!

February 9, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  21. LEB

Don't ever, ever, ever propose to your beloved in public unless you've already talked at length about marriage and you're SURE she'll say yes! You don't want to embarrass yourself or her if she says no. Then again, if you're not 100% sure she'll say yes, you shouldn't propose anyway.

My hubby proposed on our anniversary, and then we later got married on our anniversary. Valentine's Day or Christmas would have been fun, I suppose, but a gazillion people get engaged on those days. What woman wants to go back to the office Monday morning to say, "Guess what? We just got engaged on Valentine's!" and two of her coworkers reply, "Us, too!"

February 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Me

Ha I would...
      many people go to the Carribean on their honeymoon; does that mean that I should not because of it?
      Proposal can take place at any given day – Vday, Xmas, Hannukah, Kwanza you name it...
      It's irrelevant when, as long as it happens and both of the people want it.

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • Calif Girl

Agreed. Guy I was dating started dropping hints that a proposal was coming, and I shut him down right quick. We hadn't been dating long enough, among other issues. I'm not sure what I would've done if he'd just sprung it on me out of the blue in a public place; I'm pretty straightforward, so probably would've said No and embarrassed the heck out of him.

I'm not completely against public proposals; depends on the guy's reason for doing it. If he's just a show-off trying for his 15 minutes of fame, no. But watching a televised marriage ceremony on one of the morning shows, my then-boyfriend noted that would work well for us - our families were on opposite sides of the country, many of them too old to travel long distances, so if we did it on TV they could all "attend the wedding" rather than one side feeling left out. So as much as I dislike the idea of a public proposal, if his point in doing it on camera at the stadium is so both families can watch, OK.

February 10, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  22. ad

He proposed to me on VDay (we had never been able to celebrate it before) – at a restaurant – 5 star/romantic/secluded table, and a table of elderly ladies bought us pink champagne after.

February 9, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  23. Caroline

My proposal consisted of me asking my now husband on Sadie Hawkins day. My exact words were..."Remember when you told me that your father said don't get married until you're too old to do anyhting else? Well, I've got news for you, you're too old. So are you going to amrry me or what?!" With that he looked at me and asked "Where's my ring?" I handed him a box of Entemann's chocolate covered donuts and said "Here's eight, where's mine"...Then he handed me his mothers engagement ring. I almost fainted. Still married 17 years later.

February 9, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • LEB

I LOVE your engagement story! I'm betting that there is a lot of laughter in your happy union. =)

February 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Sandy

That's so cool! If you didn't do it, he would have done it anyways :)
      You seem like a fun couple :)

February 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
      • JDizzle McHammernuts

If not a little eccentric!

February 9, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
  24. Allison

If my engagment went sour I would never deny him the ring back if he wanted it.

I think engagments are romantic no matter where they're done or who is watching.

I told my boyfriend that when he proposes I want it to be on the Jumbo Tron at a hockey game. I think people watching makes it even better.

You shouldn't propose without some discussion prior about marriage. That's a great way to be blindsided by heartbreak.

February 9, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  25. Queen of Everything

When my husband proposed it wasn't a big surprise as we had been looking at rings for a couple of weeks. He called me on my way home from work one night and asked me to stop by his place on my way home. When I walked in his house all the lights were off which I thought was very odd. The CD player came on (Louis Armstrong "As Time Goes By") and hubs came walking down the stairs in a suit. He proposed, I said yes and our dinner consisted of Wendy's chili and macaroni and cheese.

February 9, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  26. AMA

I'd really hate to turn a guy down in public. But I have no idea which would be worse. Saying "yes" to save face and then having to do a quick turn around as soon as everyone else stopped looking or saying "no" immediately and causing embarrassment but not having to backtrack.

I really hope any proposals coming my way are either when I'm ready for them or done where an honest discussion can take place if I'm not ready.

February 9, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  27. r

The ring belongs to you no matter what happens (you break up) because he gave it to you on a "holiday".

February 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • Truth@r

Thank you r for giving us a glimpse into your personality. I am going to go home and do something nice for my bride since she does not share this attitude.

February 9, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Back @ r

Define "holiday" for me. If Valentine's Day is a holiday, then why don't I get the day off work?

If there is even a possiblity that the answer will be "no", then be careful! Because of the legalities mentioned here, proposals shouldn't be done where the ring can be construed (con"screwed"?) as a gift. I know that's not romantic, but engagement rings ain't cheap!

February 9, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  28. Truth

I'm with JDizz and Misty on this one...Should be done in private. I ordered chinese takeout on Friday evening, and took her fortune cookie out of the foil wrapper and with tweezers, removed the fortune and replaced with a slip saying "Will you marry me" in very small type. Went to a lot of planning, and at the end of the meal, wouldn't you know it, she does not want dessert and I had to push the issue by saying "Why not just read your fortune?"...

February 9, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Pimp

February 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • jillmarie

I love your proposal story! The fortune cookie idea was so cute!

February 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
    • JDizzle McHammernuts

Why was the cookie wrapped in foil?

February 9, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
    • JDizzle McHammernuts

Why was the cookie wrapped in foil?

February 9, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  29. Amayda

I personally think it would be sweet and have no idea why others would find it tacky. My husband has romantic moments occasionally and the way he proposed was one of them...We lived two hours from each other and on the day he proposed he walked into my office with flowers, informed my boss he was taking me to lunch, and then proceeded to take me to the place where we first kissed, at the Old Mission Peninsula Lighthouse in Traverse City. He had packed a picnic lunch and everything. It was awesome!

February 9, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Ash

Gosh that is so sweet

February 9, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  30. Lucy

A Valentine's Day proposal sounds very sweet. I really couldn't say personally, as my husband never proposed to me (and I never proposed to him). However, we have been married for over 25 years.

February 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • JDizzle McHammernuts

Shotgun weddings are the best. How far along were you?

February 9, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  31. Misty

I was proposed to that way – in a restaurant and it got the attention of a lot of people. I was in college and not ready to be engaged and wanted to say "No" – but ended up saying "Yes" in order not to embarrass my boyfriend or cause a scene – then when we got in the car I gave him the ring back and told him let's wait a while longer. We did end up getting engaged – two years later. It is better to do those things privately with just two of you unless you are guaranteed a positive outcome and no embarrassment for either of you.

February 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

That's why I would never do it in public. Just in case.

February 9, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  32. jenn1108

My fiance' proposed to me on Valentine's Day last year in Las Vegas in front of a fountain inside the Bellagio where we were staying for a long weekend!! It was amazing! I thought this was a great idea and wouldn't change a thing about it. It wasn't "over dinner" but that was just fine with me.

February 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  33. JBJingles@Snowbunny

Check out the Lido Beach Resort in FL...very quiet and beautiful! Will be there in March!

February 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  34. AleeD

OTHER: Mine happened on bended knee in the comfort of our home. It took me several minutes before I could even see that he had an engagement ring in his hand. Once he started going down on one knee I knew what was coming and started tearing up. :'-) Happy tears!

Would I have wanted it to have happened a different way? No. This is our special memory. I wouldn't change a thing! :)

February 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • daisy

ours was smiliar to this.. and i wouldn't trade the memory for anything. we have been married many years since..

February 9, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Valerie

Love your story! That is how it happened for mr too! Hahaa...my now husband just "all of a sudden" got down on his knee and pulled a ring out....hahaha....I will NEVER forget that moment.

February 10, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  35. Jaime

My mother used to work in our county's Superior Clerk's Office, which among other things handled lawsuits. So this is a cynical observation, but an engagement ring is basically a part of a contract, ie by accepting this you're agreeing to marry me... So if the engagement is broken, the ring has to be given back. However, if given on a holiday/birthday and the engagement is broken, the ring could be considered a gift given for the holiday/birthday and does not have to be returned.

Of course this can vary from state to state, but my mom has seen her share of these types of lawsuits, and when the ring was given on a holiday/birthday, the guy was out of luck.

February 9, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • LEB

Etiquette states that if he breaks it off, she gets to keep the ring - and if she breaks it off, she must return it.

However, that is etiquette and not law. Some courts have ruled that a gift is a gift and does not need to be returned, and others have ruled that an engagement ring is a "conditional" gift, so if a marriage never occurs then the ring goes back to the person who gave it. That is, presuming, that the guy paid for 100% of it... which isn't always the case.

February 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • JCizzle

As much as all these stories make me throw up, proposals are kind of a necessary evil, as I have a thing for married chicks.

February 10, 2011 at 12:54 am |
  36. JBJingles

My first date with my now husband was over lunch on Valentine's Day, he brought flowers and candy, and I thought it was cute. When we finally decided to get married 5 years later, we wanted a small wedding (just us and two others), so we went to Vegas and got married on Valentine's Day, 16 years ago. It was not tacky and they made it very personal, and what a blast we had. Good memories and a marriage still going strong.

February 9, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Snowbunny@Jingles

If me and my bf ever get married, I hope we do, I'd like the two of us to go off somewhere like that and get married. Maybe on a white sand beach... a girl can dream, can't she?

February 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • jillmarie

I loved your first date and proposal story. A wedding in Vegas sounds like such fun! I've said to my husband at some point I want to renew our vows, Vegas has come to mind.

February 9, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  37. Al Capone

You could say that....

February 9, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,987 other followers