Breakfast buffet
February 9th, 2011

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday and the most delicious finds on TV.

February 9 is National Bagels and Lox Day. Mazel Tov to all!

Bagels appeared in the United States in the 1800’s, but they didn’t become popular until the Eastern European Jewish immigrants arrived in New York. The bagel, lox and cream cheese trifecta didn’t hit the majority of tables until the 1950's when Family Circle magazine published a recipe for the combo, and according to Richard Horwich, “perhaps a Jewish echo of the Christian union of bacon, eggs and pancakes.”

What are you waiting for? Schlep over to the deli and nosh away.

What's on TV?

“Bottle Shock” – SHO2e, 7:45 a.m. ET
Based on the true story of how Napa Valley wines made it to the world stage in 1976.

“Top Chef” – Bravo TV, 10 p.m. ET
The chefs make their own versions of fondue and then cater Jimmy Fallon’s birthday party.

“Cocktail” – TV Guide Network, 10 p.m. ET
A material guy teams up with a veteran bartender, mixing drinks while dancing and charming the ladies.

“Jimmy Kimmel Live” – ABC, 12 a.m. ET
Chef Bobby Flay talks “Throwdown” with Jimmy Kimmel.

“Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson” – CBS, 12:35 a.m. ET
Chef Cat Cora discusses her new book, “Cat Cora’s Classics with a Twist.”

« Previous entry
  1. Alfreda Culbreath

I used to spend long hours with my grandmother outdoors. She had a beautiful flower garden along with her very large vegetable garden. Though she was a farmer’s wife and had to spend a lot of time helping out with the family business, she made time to tend to both of her gardens. Her vegetable garden was not only a labor of love; it was something that helped them through the winter. The more they could can, the more money they saved when milk production was low and the money was not as good as it should have been.*^

Most current post on our own web-site
    <http://foodsupplementcenter.com

May 8, 2013 at 12:42 am | Reply
  2. Joe

@Gene, to each one's own. Burrito's are great. For my own edification, however, I must inform you that the salmon lox is smoked. It is not uncooked. That would be strange and probably unhealthy.

February 10, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Reply
  3. Gene

I concur Garrett. I hope our incredibly "overworked" Congress didn't waste their time (and our tax dollars) on this stupid declaration. What's next, National Tortilla and Guacamole Day? By the way, nothing beats a Chorizo, potato, and egg burrito for breakfast. That runs circles around a flavorless, hard, doughy bagel, gooey cream cheeze, and disgusting uncooked slice of salmon.

February 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Reply
  4. steve

sirry i missed it

February 9, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Reply
  5. Garrett

I stand by my post. To have a "National Bagel and Lox Day" is absurd. So is "National Talk Like a Pirate Day". Don't get me wrong though, I love bagels with lox AND talking like a pirate, but to have a National Day to commemorate such things? Ridiculous. To have an article about it? Even more ridiculous. In the "Eatocracy" section, how about just sticking to things that are of use, like recipes, tips for affordable nutritious meals, or ideas on how we can stop being the worlds most overweight nation? Actually, Eatocracy is just what we are. A country governed by our insatiable stomachs.

February 9, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Reply
  6. jillmarie

I can't wait for Top Chef. My hubby and I love to have fondue dinners, it will be fun to see the chef's take on it!
    Besides, Jimmy Fallon is really cute.

February 9, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Reply
  7. haskeli

Bagel Boss - all over Long Island
    Game.Set.Match.

February 9, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Reply
  8. Garrett

Really? Someone felt that the bagel and lox sandwich combo deserved a day of recognition? Worse yet, someone also considered the made up title of "National Bagel & Lox Day" to be a newsworthy event? I mean, someone at CNN actually sat down, considered this to be of importance/interest, took the time to include this information on the website, and got paid for their efforts. Actually, now that I think about it, I truly feel dumber for having spent time, however little, on ridiculing this article. I guess the joke's on me. Please, continue reporting on inane bullsh*t. I will remain silent from here on out.

February 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Reply
    • Dave

Garrett, if you haven't noticed, you're reading an article in Living & EATOCRACY. Don't like it? Don't read it, fool.

February 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Reply
    • Queen of Everything@Garrett

Is your last sentence a promise? I really, really hope it is.

February 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Reply
    • Truth@Garrett

Uhm, Garret...?
      This is a food blog. Here we discuss food issues. Could be what we plan to serve for dinner tonight, maybe exchanging recipes or stories about memorable dining or events. If you want hard news, go the front page. For you though, I would much more strongly suggest a seat in our STFU Cafe. Immediate seating available.

February 9, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Reply
  9. Larry

Ess-A-Bagel, on Third Avenue and 50th in Manhattan.

February 9, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  10. toosie

Being lucky enough to live in the bagel capital of North America-Toronto, Ontario, Canada, you guys don't know what you're missing! No cinnamon, raisins, chocolate chips, etc. Just a good crusty on the outside, soft on the inside, covered with nothing or poppy seeds, sesame seeds or caraway seeds bagel. We're fortunate to have a number of bakeries in the city that are fabulous. Sorry, Montrealers!

February 9, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Reply
    • Don

Montreal might have you 1 uppe with Poutine.

February 10, 2011 at 10:30 am | Reply
      • Queen of Everything

The Frenchies don't count.

February 10, 2011 at 10:41 am | Reply
    • Dystopiax

A general reminder.

Due to the earlier harvest, National Bagels and Lox Day is celebrated one month earlier in Canada.

February 11, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Reply
  11. beenz

Local mom and pop store here in Fargo.. Boppa's Bagels.. Yum!!! Cheddar bagels with double olive cream cheese.. yum!!!

February 9, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Reply
  12. sheepy

Panera has good bakery stuff, but they don't make real bagels, only a roll with a hole.

February 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Reply
  13. YoMom

Oy! Dunkin bagels are a shonda! Small local deli bagels are the best! When in Youngstown, try Kravitz bagels.

February 9, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Reply
  14. Queen of Everything

I love Genesis Bagels and Deli on the southside of Indianapolis. Just thinking about their cinnamon sugar bagel makes my mouth water.

February 9, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Reply
  15. beachbaby

I hate to say this, but people who like chain bagel stores don't know what they are missing. The best bagel stores are little mom and pop shops. I am from Jersey and the Bagel Bakery in Monmouth County cannot be matched.

February 9, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Reply
  16. Sheryl

Wish I were in Brooklyn now or perhaps at the Zabars fish counter, watching the beautiful lox slicing. So thin and yummy!

February 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Reply
  17. hannah1

I love Bruegger's bagels with just about anything. Unfortunately, East Tennessee is so backward we have to drive to Asheville, NC, to find a Brueggers. Dunkin' Donuts' bagels are OK, but they only arrived in this third-world area 6 months ago! UGH.

February 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Reply
    • GoVols

Hannah – feel free to go back to Brooklyn, or Israel, or wherever. I doubt "the backward, 3rd world" people will miss you one bit.

February 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  18. polishsausage

I love bagels and cream cheese but smoked salmon makes me gag. Although Ive only had it made by the grocery store so maybe that has something to do with it.

February 9, 2011 at 11:43 am | Reply
    • Heidiann

Yep, it probably does. Try it from your local seafood market – you'll be a believer!! :)

February 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Reply
  19. Truth@Jaina

Funny that you should write that...I have been missing NYC a lot lately. Used to LOVE going into Manhattan on a Sunday morning and getting a potato knish and coffee...Usually served by some older guy named Mort or something...

February 9, 2011 at 10:33 am | Reply
  20. JainaJade

When I lived in NYC I use to go by this hole in the wall Jewish Deli on Sunday mornings for B&L w/capers :-) It was my treat to myself for not hurting any customers for another week

February 9, 2011 at 10:19 am | Reply
  21. Truth

Wow...I'm on Kimmel tonight. Might want to nap this afternoon if I have to stay up that late...

February 9, 2011 at 10:10 am | Reply
  22. Snowbunny@Jerv

No, just Vodka. :)

February 9, 2011 at 10:07 am | Reply
    • Jerv@Snowb

Laughs, good little drunk snowbunny.

February 9, 2011 at 10:15 am | Reply
  23. Snowbunny

I love Bruegger's bagels with garden vegetable cream cheese!! :P

February 9, 2011 at 10:00 am | Reply
    • Jerv@Snowb

Do you ever spike your veggie creamcheese with a little diced ja-lop-e-noz?"

February 9, 2011 at 10:05 am | Reply
    • Pete from Mpls

This is the best bagel place ever!

February 9, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Reply
      • Snowbunny@Pete

Panera is good too! The French Toast or Cinnamon Crunch bagels are YUMMY!

February 9, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Reply