Bargain bourbon: Wham, dram, thank you ma'am
February 7th, 2011

Call it the Mad Men effect: retro fashions, debonair dinner parties and especially classic drinks - like bourbon - are back with a vengeance.

"Despite the recession, consumers decided they wanted to drink better," says Frank Coleman, senior vice president of the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States.

Last year, sales of super premium bourbon (the highest price category) were up 17.7% from 2009, according to the council, while total bourbon sales grew at a rate of just 4%.

So what makes a bourbon "super premium"? Well, better often means older. Older whiskeys spend more time aging in an oak barrel, which is how they get their caramel color and much of the flavor.

Read "Great bourbons at a bargain" on CNNMoney.

Posted by:
Filed under: Business and Farming News • News • Sip • Spirits • Trends

1. j-son

For mixed cocktails, I'm partial to bourbon and ginger ale with a slice of apple, I like Evan Williams just fine.
    For serious drinking just on the rocks, I'm a Woodford Reserve man.

February 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  2. Mildred

I'll admit to a recent fascination with Prohibition cocktails and other vintage drinks.

February 7, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Reply
    • jillmarie

I'm obsessed with all things tretro! I love champagene cocktails, and sometimes bartenders have no idea how to make some of the retro cocktails. I'm glad they are making a comeback. There's nothing like a classic martini.

February 7, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Reply
  3. Truth

I drank a lot of cheap booze in college. The name Ten High comes to mind, along with Clan Magregor scotch.

February 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Reply
    • Mildred

I have a friend who still drinks Ten High. She mixes it with Diet Mt. Dew.

February 7, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Reply
      • Truth@Mildred

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...not at the thought of cheap booze, but at the thought of mixing ANYTHING with mtn dew...

February 7, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Reply