Lunchtime poll – how you dippin'?
February 4th, 2011

I put my hand upon your hip
When I dip you dip we dip
You put your hand upon my hip
When you dip I dip we dip...

Aaaaand that's all of that song we can print without getting all NC-17 on you, but seriously - mmmmm, dip. Truth be told, we're more Puppy Bowl than Super Bowl 'round Eatocracy HQ, but we'll gladly get our gridiron on if it means getting to dive face-first into a vat full of dippy goodness.

Despite all the press releases we're fielding about new, revolutionary, ground-breaking, earth-shattering, life-changing, chef-crafted, fat-free, artisanalsustainableorganic dip recipes, we tend to stick with the classics. Kat gets her Knorr Spinach on, while Sarah takes a lap in the guacamole bowl.

How ya getting your dip on this Sunday?

Previously – Richard Blais gets all Mr. Wizard on some Buffalo bleu

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Holidays • Lunchtime Poll • Super Bowl • Tailgating

« Previous entry
  1. Michelle

Buffalo Chicken Dip. Had it for the first time yesterday. It's delicious!

February 7, 2011 at 8:41 am | Reply
  2. rhonda

Thank you everyone for all of the delicious sounding recipes, I want to try them all!

February 6, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  3. oldguy

all of the above...

February 6, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Reply
  4. T3chsupport

My sister makes a reeeally good shrimp dip. I don't ask her for the recipe, because I want her to keep making it, and I like having the excuse that I don't have the recipe when the holiday cooking comes up... It's shrimp, cottage cheese, and some other stuff. Looks fairly horrible, but tastes like heaven.

One of my childhood favorites is a heart attack waiting to happen, because you end up eating pretty much an entire block of cream cheese.

Put block of cream cheese in a bowl.
    Pour salsa all over it.
    Get those Cooler Ranch Doritos for it. Get a wad of salsa and cream cheese on your chip. Mmmmmmmmm
    I suppose you could warm it up.

February 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Reply
    • DickCheney@T3

Got my defibrillator ready?

February 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Reply
  5. lauren

I'm so hungry for some now that I mention it....

February 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Reply
  6. lauren

Hummus! Original or garlic!

February 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  7. Julie

I can't do Buffalo Chicken Dip – it's gross. the one time I tried it, it had about a 1/4 inch layer of orange grease all over. Yuck.
    My favorite dips are:
    1) fresh tomato pico de gallo with jalapenos or habaneros, with a side of guacamole.
    2) refried bean nacho dip (layer refried beans, cream cheese, sour cream, tomato, onion, shredded cheese, black olives)
    3) sun dried tomato dip (in a blender, mix a bag of sun dried tomatos and cream cheese)

And this dip that a friend brought to one of our 4th of July parties:
    BLT Dip
    Mix light mayo and sour cream together
    layer on tomatos. bacon (crumbled) and chives
    Serve with crostini

February 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  8. Jan

buffalo chicken dip, with a backup of artichoke/spinach and hummus. DIp crackers, chips or veggies in any of these. Yummmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

February 6, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Reply
  9. The Happiest Belly

February 6, 2011 at 11:18 am | Reply
  10. Snacker

What about a Cheeseball?

February 6, 2011 at 10:28 am | Reply
  11. monah

Creamy jalapeno ranch dressing dip at Chuy's. Incredible. I've tried making it several times but can't get close to theirs; it's not just jalapenos added to ranch dressing. Austin, TX

February 6, 2011 at 9:59 am | Reply
  12. Lothar

One with as many unhealthy good to eat ingredients I can find to make up for my denial since my Xmas feast

February 6, 2011 at 6:34 am | Reply
  13. Brooke

Best Dip Ever : Jalapeno Popper Dip. So Yummy. So Bad For You. And The Most Requested Thing I Have Ever Been Asked To Bring To A Party. :)

February 6, 2011 at 5:11 am | Reply
    • Funbags3

Jalapeno Popper – BEST DIP EVER!!!!
      I prefer mine cold rather than warm because I find it more flavorful when chilled.

February 6, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Reply
  14. soleada

My mother's cheeseball (not as 'dippy' as other recipes, but crackers are used, soooo lol...)

In a lag bowl, combine:
    1 pkg Velveeta Chz (1 lb)
    1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
    1 8 oz pkg crumbled bleu cheese
    1 pkg shredded cheddar cheese
    Sprinklings of onion powder & garlic salt to taste
    ^^ cheeses should be room temp

Using clean hands, knead the cheeses & seasonings together. Transfer ti a serving dish & shape into a ball or ithet shape. Great with Triskets or Wheat Thins!

February 6, 2011 at 2:03 am | Reply
  15. Rhon

My kids still love this to this day.

Ugly Dip:
    I can Nacho cheese soup
    I can the hottest chili with beans you can find
    I 3 oz brick of cream cheese
    Hot sauce to taste
    Toss it all in a pan heat through until the cream cheese is melted.
    Serve with tortilla chips.

February 6, 2011 at 1:13 am | Reply
  16. Lucy

Spinach/artichoke in a small crock.

February 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Reply
  17. jngfvghdfcyh

add a pan of nacho cheese and chop up small itty bitty pieces of chicken and eat it with tortillia chips.

February 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Reply
  18. Marcia

Oh, it has to be Bison French onion dip!! The best.

February 5, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Reply
  19. jngfvghdfcyh

:I love nacho cheese and chicken dip. its very good.and its spicy.and it doesnt get under your nails. ;)

February 5, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Reply
  20. Nickie

Mock oyster dip. This s a recipe we ave made for years.

February 5, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Reply
    • Lynne, the other one...

A bit late in the season for Mock Oysters in this part of the world, I fear. ;)

Hummus, salsa, black bean dip, and guacamole tend to be the dips of choice in my household, with occasional cream cheese dips such as "smoked salmon".

February 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  21. Rochester

If I am going to make a dip I only make Cooking Light Tex-Mex Black bean dip (June 1998). It isn't greasy like other dips and it isn't loaded in fat (just 1g) and calories (just 42 for 2 tbsp). I've been making this since I first saw it in 1998.

February 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Reply
  22. Tee Jay

Basic Queso Dip. 1 lb. VELVEETA, 1 can Rotel.cut Velveeta into cubes, add Rotel, and heat stirring frequently. Serve over tortilla chips for nachos, or serve as a dip for raw veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrot sticks, celery) for a healthier dish. I keep this one in the crockpot on low for as long as it lasts.

February 5, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Reply
  23. Joe Blow

Has to be spinach dip for me.
    Cream cheese
    chopped spinach
    red onion
    red pepper
    hot sauce
    worcestershire sauce
    s & p
    put into shallow baking dish, cover with sharp grated cheddar 20mins @ 400.
    Serve with blue corn tortillas, gotta love it.

February 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Reply
  24. Tee Jay

How about a zippy bean dip? 1 can refried beans, 1 can Rotel, 1 pkt taco seasoning, 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar. Mix together taco seasoning, and Rotel, add refried beans, and heat, stirring frequently. After they are well combined, stir in cheese, continue stirring until cheese melts. You may add water to adjust consistency. Serve with corn chips or tortilla chips, or make bean burritos.Yum!

February 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  25. Wildblue

Not many people think of it, but one of my favorite dips is actually lowfat cottage cheese. The creaminess perfectly offsets a good chip like flavored Doritos or Ruffles, and as far as dips go, it's one of the healthier options. I could eat that non-stop.

February 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

To me, cottage cheese is about as appetizing as a diaper filled with burnt Indian food. No thanks.

February 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  26. Athens

My mom's coworker made this amazing corn dip for a party back in December, and we got her to share the recipe so we can make it for Sunday. It's got both pepper jack and Parmesan cheese, fiesta corn, mayo, and green chilies in it, and is baked until lightly browned.

February 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Reply