5@5 - Sunny Anderson
February 1st, 2011

So - you've decided against the idea of lodging yourself into a crowded bar of foam cheese hats, terrible towels and reverting fraternity brothers this Super Bowl Sunday and opted to catch the big game at home? Nice defensive block.

But, where's your offense? Sunny Anderson, the host of Food Network's "Cooking For Real," has got the game-winning strategy.

Hut, hut, bite!

Super Bowl Entertaining Tips: Sunny Anderson

1. Ice, Ice Baby
"It's no party with room temperature drinks and no one likes to make a run during the game, so be sure to stock up on ice. A good guideline is at least a pound of ice per guest."

2. Wing it!
"The perfect finger-licking snack for game time is a big bucket of wings. It's easier than you think to get my 'Wings 3 Ways' ready to go for kick off. Have on hand a stack of paper towels or napkins in a tray, dish or plastic container moistened with a mixture of water and fresh lemon juice for any guests caught in a sticky situation."

3. Rock the Halftime Show
"Halftime is all about the main course, so you have to bring out the big guns! Make the main attraction something you can prepare the day before and reheat. It should be familiar to your guests and comforting like my 'Game Day Chili,' which actually tastes better on the second day! Or assemble my 'Easy Beefy Cheesy Enchilada Casserole' on Saturday and refrigerate it. All you have to do on Sunday is remove it from the refrigerator on kick-off and pop it in the oven right around the middle of the second quarter."

4. Double-Duty Drinks
"No one wants to be on spill-patrol at a party. How about a signature drink that doesn't stain, but actually might clean something? My 'Hard Lemonade' is clear so it won't stain a carpet. Plus, lemon and vodka are both known to clean up many things to include bad breath, bad feet and even bad trash talkers."

5. Sober 'em up!
"We all know time is what really does the trick when sobering up, but a pot of strong coffee for pouring over ice cream never hurt. Just as the last quarter starts, get my 'Minty Mocha Affogato' at the line of scrimmage for a play on a classic dessert with a twist."

Be sure to hike your Super Bowl menu into the comment section.

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Entertaining • Think

1. johnnie socks

Super Bowl Party Tips 101

1. Invite everyone you know. If you don't know anyone, place an ad in the paper or purchase billboard space.
    2. Call Captain D's for the catering.
    3. Make sure there is plenty of O'Douls on stock.
    4. Put newspapers down for cats and dogs.
    5. Gather everyone 'round the ipod for the Big Game.

February 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Reply
  2. dinnerparties101.com

Check out the Super Bowl article on Dinner Parties 101 for a different list of Super Bowl "must haves" including recipes for simple yet tasty half-time snacks: http://dinnerparties101.com/2011/01/31/are-you-ready-for-some-football-hosting-a-super-bowl-party/

February 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Reply
  3. MT Miner

Beer, Pizza, Beer, Wings, Beer, and bowls of munchies, nice and simple. Did i mention beer?

February 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Reply
    • Jerv@MTM

What kind of beer? I thought some of the comments were a bit rough for a light hearted piece.

February 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Reply
    • MT Miner

For Sunday I have a case of Moose Drool, my absolute favorite anymore . There is always a mix of miscelanious american lagers out in the garage for when the gang is over working on cars, bud, coors, yada yada, whatever someone brought and had leftovers of.

Agreed about being a bit harsh for all it is.

February 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Reply
      • Jerv@MTM

Moose Drool never heard of it. What's it like?

February 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Reply
      • MT Miner

Lovely brown ale, the link says it all.

February 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Reply
      • Jerv@MTM

Cool, thanks. It sounds great. I'll see if the local Total Wine store has it. They stock all kinds of beers.

February 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Reply
      • MT Miner

We really like it, we call it guiness light, lol

February 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Reply
  4. joe

she forgot about what kind of tablescape to impress the guys with. lol jk

February 2, 2011 at 11:43 am | Reply
  5. donna

i love hosting the super bowl for man man and his buds, i was going to make the cheesy beef casarole on the side of tacos until i read your comments..lol layered taco dip on the side it is! Thankx guys. lol

February 2, 2011 at 10:41 am | Reply
  6. Lexington

I usually love Sunny on the Food Network but this article just looks like something thrown together to get clicks.

Just pick up a bunch of frozen munchies from Trader Joes and throw them on cookie sheets and in the oven. Keep the finger foods coming as well as a few 30-packs of Coors Light...and you cannot have a SB party without wings but I will not display my secret marinated broiled hot wings recipe.

February 2, 2011 at 10:29 am | Reply
  7. whodat

... peanuts,chips, mini-snickers, little muffalettas, peeled boiled shrimp, jambalaya, and king cake ... oh yeah, and beer!!!

February 2, 2011 at 10:15 am | Reply
  8. svscnn

So, Betty Crocker here has the 411 on Gameday huh? May as well publish an article on the art of war written by a bunny.

Stupid – start to finish.

February 2, 2011 at 10:00 am | Reply
    • Truth@svscnn

"stupid – start to finish"
      Indeed so. But enough about your post.

February 2, 2011 at 10:44 am | Reply
      • svscnn@Truth

Well played mam. ;)

February 2, 2011 at 10:58 am | Reply
  9. Ryan

How about...I make none of those things. It's the Super Bowl who wants 'Easy Beefy Cheesy Enchilada Casserole' and hard lemonade? 1 pound of ice per guest?!? Are you insane? At least the author got the wings part right, but I guess beer is not reccomended.

February 2, 2011 at 9:40 am | Reply
  10. Banjo69

We're planning on having a live rock band for pre-game festivities. It has worked quie well before.

February 2, 2011 at 9:40 am | Reply
  11. Marcus

No mention of beer? Worst football article ever.

February 2, 2011 at 9:15 am | Reply
    • joe

Beer is more important than anything else on this list. Heck, it's more important than the game itself.

February 2, 2011 at 9:36 am | Reply
  12. JerseyGrrrlChef

Marcin – I'm inclined to agree with you!

Also, as far as I'm concerned I think the best food to serve during a football game is anything hand-held or that can be skewered. Chili and casseroles require a bowl and spoon/fork, which makes it cumbersome to eat and enjoy the game at the same time. I serve appetizers throughout the same and mini sandwiches or home made pizza for something a little heartier. The guys always eat a ton and never leave hungry. Dessert? Cookies or brownies.

February 2, 2011 at 9:13 am | Reply
  13. FIshBulb

This is a remarkably inappropriate article for suggesting that coffee will sober someone up. You'll be awake and drunk as opposed to sleepy and drunk.

February 2, 2011 at 9:11 am | Reply
    • BMarie

agreed!

February 2, 2011 at 9:22 am | Reply
  14. Marcin

Ok this has to be the STUPIDEST "super bowl 101" article ever.

It wasn’t terrible until "Easy Beefy Cheesy"; and the entirety of category 5.

If I ever find myself in the 4th quarter of the super bowl thinking " you know what I need? I need an Affogato" I will take myself out back and put myself out of my misery

February 2, 2011 at 8:24 am | Reply
    • GoPackGo

I couldn't agree more...lol. I think my dad would ask me to leave.

February 2, 2011 at 10:23 am | Reply
  15. Slayter

Jdizzle likes peepees!

February 2, 2011 at 8:21 am | Reply
    • svscnn@Truth

And you know this because...

February 2, 2011 at 10:59 am | Reply
  16. Super Bowl Entertaining Tips: Jdizzle McHammerpants

1. Underwear only during the first half. Make sure the heat is on!
    2. HalfTime SmokeOut. Self explanatory
    3. Only BDSM outfits. Dodgeball: Balls of Fury style
    4. If you aren't seeing double by the final 2 minute warning, you're on the cleanup crew.
    5. I'd hit it.

February 1, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Clarification: # 3 pertains to the second half.

February 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Reply
      • second half

you'd hit the velveta

February 2, 2011 at 7:47 am | Reply
      • David

The Velveta wanted it.

February 2, 2011 at 8:27 am | Reply
      • gutter sluts

velveta and hammer are made for each other

February 2, 2011 at 11:14 am | Reply