86 the Simba combo!
January 25th, 2011

Remember waaayyyy back last week when that Arizona's Boca Tacos y Tequila was all a-roar about its plans to serve African Lion tacos? They've now scrapped that notion over claims of safety concerns for family and staff.

Guess that mucks up our plan for tonight's mane course. (We'll be here all week. Try the Bengal tiger fajitas.)

Read Arizona eatery pulls lion tacos from menu on This Just In

Posted by:
Filed under: Animal Rights • Food Politics • Weird News

1. Mt Miner

Guess I don't see the issue here providing these are "farm" raised animals, they would go through FDA inspections to be served at a restraunt.

On the flip side, I have eaten plenty of mountain lion in the last 20 years, its the other white meat, cooks up like lean pork, mild flavor, very tender. If you look back through authentic data on the free trappers in the early 1800's, you will find that mountain lion/catamount/puma/cougar(all the same critter) was held in high regard for food value because it really is good.

All those jokes about cats in the chinese food from the back alley, alot of truth to the comparison of cat meat to pork.

January 25, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Reply
  2. Evil Grin

I'm kind of tired of seeing stories where companies/schools/business/people/whatever cave after public outrage. Public outrage is not always correct, after all. Just once I'd like to see someone say, "Hah, public outrage. I see your anger and raise you more of whatever you're upset about!"

This of course has little to do with whether or not I'd eat a lion. Which I wouldn't because I believe they are endangered, or close to endangered. That's my only reason, though.

January 25, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Reply
    • Truth@EGrin

I always thought that was the purpose of teh NRA...

January 25, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Reply
    • EDU

Well Evil Grin, the reasons to not eat Lion stem from it just being a bad idea to eat carnivores. There are disease issues and they thend to be rather stirngy (I speak form exerience). Other than that, the Lions this particular restaurant were going to sreve were farm raised in southern California. They wouldn't impact how many Lions are in the wild and probably wouldn't survive if set free in Africa. Public opinion is another thing, most businesses live & die by it so I understand the decision. One of the main reasons for the system of checks and balances in the US is to protect individuals and minority populations from the tyrany of the majority. But laws have to be broken before one can take advantage of those benefits.

January 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Reply
  3. Truth

Think of the marketing potential:
    "We take PRIDE in our food and we're not LION"....

January 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Reply
  4. Truth

Does this mean I cannot get a cub sandwich...?

January 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

I wish we had a LIKE button.

January 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Reply
    • wendy

LOL!!! i vote 'yes' on the like button also!

January 25, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Reply
  5. wendy

agh! i cant imagine eating a tiger!! is nothing sacred? i'm all for beef and venison, but yeesh! i just cant see eating a fellow carnivore/omnivore.

January 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Reply
  6. JBJingles

Oh, did we really have to go here? I thought if it is cute a fuzzy, we don't want to eat it...here comes the vegans.

January 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Reply