January 12th, 2011

Whew! Snomageddon averted here in Brooklyn. Yup, plenty of it dumped down overnight, but in a mad burst of sn-overkill for the inadequate response to the Christmas storm that blocked off outer-borough roadways for days, Mayor Mike Bloomberg made sure that plows drove past each resident's home approximately 153 times while they were trying to get some shuteye. (Not that we're complaining. Or that we counted.)

But as for the rest of the country (we know you're out there - we can see your frost breath), things seemed a tad more dire, as evidenced by the blizzard of iReports documenting picked-over supermarkets and snowed-over shopping carts. Plow through the gallery above and shovel down these chilling tales of desperation dining and dealing from our commenters on yesterday's Snowmageddon Supper.

Dinner by candle light

One time out on the farm when we had no power for about 2 weeks and mom made us toast with a candle. Interesting flavor... - Laurie

The goal is never to buy more food (unless you aren't stocked at all) it's to eat what you have so it doesn't spoil–also, to find foods that don't need much heating. Can we say spaghetti-o's right out of the can? I've had "pizza on the grill", steak 7 ways, soup over a candle and many other tasty dishes. I'll never have to buy bread or milk, I can survive on whatever is in my cabinets. - Amanda

A blizzard of booze

I stopped in convenience store and mentioned that I was stocking up for the snow storm. The lady at the register said "You know, most people get bread and milk, not beer and pork rinds."

Also, don't neglect tequila and limes. Snow Margaritas are great. You want to salt the ice, right? - Andy L

Bread, milk, eggs...these we can do without. Vodka? Don't let the bottle run dry... - Llama Llama Duck

When I stocked up, I bought 6 bottles of wine! I have three kids and when I get stuck inside with the three of them bickering and getting cabin fever for 4 days, it's the only way to survive! - m.d

Cold comfort

The nastiest thing I've had to eat during a snowstorm is canned salmon (cold) and crackers. It was with wonderful company, though, which made that nasty meal taste a little better. - Anne

As a twenty year resident of key West, I suggest purchasing a low cost camp stove and a couple of small cans of propane – we've been able to enjoy hot coffee and cook what food is in our freezer so you don't have to eat out of cans - BethB

BTW, you can eat a 10 year old canned ham. - Judi K
Editor's note: We're not actually advocating that, just so ya know.

Had to feed the dog hamburger and steaks from the freezer, which was great for him, but the t.p. thing was kind of a problem, don'tcha know....What amuses me is all the people with a cart full of cheap white bread. It makes me wonder what meals are like at their house. - kree8ive

When I was a starving college student during the blizzard of 1977, I had 2 meals of pancakes made with flour and water. I was working part-time at a fast food restaurant and ate 2 meals a day there on days I worked. I was supposed to have gotten paid the day of the blizzard and was going to buy a few groceries then, but our checks were being delivered by car from a town an hour away and they couldn't get through and I didn't have any groceries. Cell phones weren't invented yet and I didn't have a land line to call anyone.

Thankfully a family friend who worked in the area stopped in and gave me $20 and enough groceries to last a day. I finally was able to get in touch with the Red Cross to make sure my parents who lived on a farm at the end of a long lane could get out and had food. We made it through, but I never again let myself get to a place where I didn't have anything in the house to eat! - Liz

Squirrel it away

I'm old fashioned. I can a lot out of the garden and butcher my own meat and freeze it in the fall. I do this for the quality of product I can not get in the store. Except for a few occasional staples like flour and sugar, I can go most of a winter without going to grocery. - Minnesnowta

You people need to start saving time, money and gas and shop smarter. I only go to the grocery store twice a month and even if a blizzard hit on one of my "restock" days all I would be short on is fresh fruits and veggies, milk and eggs. You're snowed in, it's a great time to pull out those cookbooks that have been holding down your bookshelves for years, dig to the back of your cabinets and spend an afternoon making that extravagant soup that takes 4 hours to simmer (hence why you've never made it before). - Snowmarmot

As a twenty year resident of Key West, I suggest purchasing a low cost camp stove and a couple ofsmall cans of propane – we've been able to enjoy hot coffee and cook what food is in our freezer so you don't have to eat out of cans. - BethB

Cold-blooded conspiracy theory

I moved to Oklahoma in 2003, and in the winter of 2006/7, the weathermen forecasted anywhere from 10 inches to two feet of snow overnight (depending on what station you watched). People went NUTS – to the point where shelves were EMPTY at stores. We didn't even end up getting ONE inch of snow overnight. I started considering the conspiracy of meteorologists getting some kind of kick-back from the grocer chains and the people who sell wood. - MsAttitude

Sympathy for the checkout crew

I work in a grocery store part time in NJ, and I'm scheduled to go in tonight. I just want to shoot myself in the head instead. - Bonnie

I feel for ya. I worked a part time job in a Kroger grocery store, loved the people and work, but when we had inclement weather, customers would have a feeding frenzy. It was ridiculous. - Jerv

October 1988 at a tiny college in the Adirondacks. An early snowstorm dumped 22" overnight when the leaves were still on the trees. Power out for a week. School closed and sent everyone home – really handy for the international students. I lived off-campus and my roommate and I had 4 extra people at our place for the week.

My intrepid Chevette managed the drive to town for provisions; the Grand Union was giving some perishables away because their fridges were out. Cooked big pots of spaghetti sauce, chili, and pea soup on our gas stove, and baked lots of cookies. We brought coffee and cookies to the power-company crews who had come from all over New York State to get the power back on. Good times! - LP

'Sno big deal

Up here in the Adirondacks, 7 miles from a grocery store, and 1/4 mile from the main road, I'll usually make it a point to get extra milk or bread if the forecast is for over 18 inches – other than that, it's just considered a dusting. By extra, I mean one gallon or one loaf, a day earlier than I might otherwise restock. No one really goes crazy up here, though. We're used to snow.

The good thing is, even if we lose power, we can just use the garage as an auxiliary fridge, and keep the frozen stuff out on the porch! The wood stove keeps the house warm enough, and we can cook outside on the grill. - Ann

Minnesota here and we feel the same way! Major snow – more than a foot – or a lot of ice requires thinking about an extra loaf of bread, roll of tp or gallon of milk maybe, just because it's easier to not have to deal with going out in it. But otherwise, we don't think about it too much. Wood heats the house and can cook the food. Lose power? The world is your feezer, pop everything perishable out on the porch in the snow until needed. - Snoflinga

SNOMG! Stealing TP?!? Uncool.

I live just north of Snow-lanta, in a subdivision which has its own pool, community center, etc. Last night, someone broke into the the community center and stole all the toilet paper from both restrooms. Nothing else was taken – not the flat screen TV, not the stereo, nothing. Just the TP. I suspect that if we had eggs and milk, they would be gone, too. - Anson

Got a tale of dire snowbound dining? Submit it to iReport assignment Winter weather near you and follow CNN Travel's winter weather coverage

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • From the Comments • Hot Messes • iReport

1. Lynds

I'm from the far NE corner of Indiana (born & raised for 21 years) so we'd get the "lake effect" snow coming in from Michigan. It wasn't unusual to get anywhere from 6"-18" or more, sometimes in a matter of 12 hours or less. We didn't even blink until we hit 8"- even then it wasn't a big deal. I've lived in TN for 6 years now & I laugh every time the word "snow" is mentioned!! People go CRAZY!!

We got 3" one year & Nashville shut down for 2 days- supposedly the National Guard had to come in & help "stranded motorists". I've never understood the panic- you won't die in a day or two from malnourishment, even if it took that long to clear the roads!!

The southern states claim they don't have the equipment to deal with "such emergencies" because "this rarely happens". Well it's happened at least three times every year I've been here, so I'd say 18 "emergencies" are enough to warrant equipment so that cities aren't crippled by the weather :)

I miss a good snowfall, sledding, making snowmen & snow angels, snowball fights, building igloo forts & a nice cup of hot chocolate with extra marshmellows when you're done playing in the gorgeous white powder :)

January 14, 2011 at 6:53 am |
  2. lilylou52

Our power was out in Houston 15 days when Hurricane Ike hit Galveston. Unbelievable number of people whining on the news about not having any food and restaurants not open. Most of the time, you have some warning that a snow storm or a hurricane is coming. There's no excuse for not being prepared for an emergency. How is it that so many people expect someone else to take care of them? What happenedd to self reliance?

January 13, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Kilroy

I was here

January 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  4. Sallyforth

I live in Minnesota (born and raised), but lived in Richmond, Va for seven years in the 1980s. My first winter in Richmond was in 1983, and over Christmas that year, Richmond experienced the coldest weather in over 50 years. Pipes were bursting and everything was closed down due to snow and terribly cold temps. I kept thinking to myself: I moved from Minnesota to this???? How ironic.
    It would always make me laugh when Richmond would get a forecast for snow and everything would close down (schools, businesses, etc.) immediately, even before the first flake came down.(I realize it was because they just didn't have the equipment to deal with snow and ice, etc.) I would still be plugging away at work because, heck, I'm from Minnesota and a little snow was not going to stop me. Then, hours later, at the end of the afternoon, I'd stop by the grocery store on the way home and the shelves would be almost bare of milk, bread and other neccessities. What a hoot! Also, before I moved to Richmond, I absolutely hated winter...hated the cold, hated snow with a passion. After living in Richmond for a few years, I actually started to miss and long for a true Minnesota winter. I moved back to MN. in 1990 and have loved winters ever since then. (Guess the southern heat and humidity cured me.) Now winter is my favorite season! I love the crispness of it all: the brightness, the crunchy sound when you walk on snow, the way snowflakes sparkle in the sun and on snowdrifts, and the whole season of winter, which truly energizes me.

January 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  5. Charlie

I have no idea why people go out and buy an entire grocery store worth of food for a snow storm. If you shop smart on a regular basis you shouldn't run out of anything but fresh veggies or other perishables (milk, eggs) if snowed in for an extended period – and most Americans don't eat much of that stuff anyway. And why can't you go without milk or eggs for a few days? A week? Longer? Why are these such staples, especially in a snow storm? Frozen veggies taste great and keep for a long time in the freezer ... and if the power goes out in a snow storm, bury them in the snow in the back yard to keep them frozen. If you're like me and your kitchen runs on gas you're golden for cooking stuff ... if you're running an electric kitchen, cooking over torches / candles works fine. Or just eat canned goods that don't need to be re-heated. You should also always keep bottled water on hand in an emergency kit in case a water main breaks in your neighborhood (melting snow for drinking water works in an emergency, but because of the possibility of contamination it should be a last resort).

Shop smarter, not harder ...

January 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  6. Amy

We were stuck with NO food, NO car, NO money, and 7 people. No restaurants were delivering. There was literally nothing to do. It was a nightmare.

January 13, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • R Williams

Donner? Party of 7?

January 13, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
      • Sallyforth

Your comment made me laugh outloud! Thanks!

January 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  7. True Sage

Hudson Valley NY ! Love the winter driving. two yrs ago had a huge storm with no power for 3-4 days. Gota love paninis and cans of soup on the wood stove and REAL Percolated Coffee. Landlord hooked up the generator so we could have fresh water and hot water. Each other's company and a little solar-powered radio was all we needed.

January 13, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  8. Loopman

Live in rural KS at the present. Been here since 1998. Had a real bad ice storm about this time of year in '02'. No power for 8 days. Cooked everything in the fridge and freezer that we could on the grill, heated the house with a kerosene heater and used oil lapms for light. Only thing that we were missing was hot water due to an electric water heater. Took sponge baths with water heated on the grill as well. Note to all, make sure you have a backup propane tank for your grill. It sucks to run out when you need it most. Later!!

January 13, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  9. New Englander

Question: if people are worried about losing power, why do they always buy milk that can spoil?

January 13, 2011 at 8:39 am |
    • CityOfSinGuy

They buy milk because if you have no power, you typically have no heat. How will milk go bad when it is 20 degrees out? If anything, it'll freeze.

January 13, 2011 at 9:36 am |
    • Drew G.

New Englander's post is so stupid it is disturbing. I really hope you are kidding.

January 13, 2011 at 10:29 am |
  10. Simon Jester

Today I noticed that Petco in Atlanta was completely out of all rodents, no ferrets, gerbils, Guinea Pigs, hamsters, mice, not even any frogs. Just one lizard of some kind and a small snake. Usually they are fully stocked, I thought maybe they put them away for the night but the shop girl said " nope we just sold out" So I guess its Milk, Bread, Eggs (French toast?) and rodents that sell out during a storm.

January 13, 2011 at 4:21 am |
  11. soleada

Living in Nashville (tn is my home state).. I moved to Phoenix for a year & -loved- it!! Warm weather yr round, gorgeous desert scenery, something new & different to do everyday (lol drinking on Camelback & South Mtns!)... Oh how I miss it! I hate cild weather!

January 13, 2011 at 12:49 am |
  12. sue

Hey Liz, I had just graduated college and was working about 25 miles from home in the blizzard of 77. It took me 4 hours to drive home; and I thought I was going to die trying. A month later I moved to California!

January 12, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Drew G.

Yeah, and now it takes you four hours to drive 25 miles in California traffic everyday!

January 13, 2011 at 10:28 am |
  13. Mainer

I live in Northern Maine. 6 inches is nothing to us, 12 inches is kind of a bummer, 18 inches is a storm, two feet and we get grumpy. The stores here always have food because living with snow is normal to us.

January 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  14. Ozarks Girl

During an ice storm in 08 we made chili in the fire place. It was smokey and delicious. We made a huge pot so it lasted a couple days also.

January 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  15. Sam Meyer

This headline made me snarf my mocha.

January 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  16. warminmiami

ive never seen snow i have never even been on a plane just cruise ships and im 32.. born and raised in miami

i would never want to live where it snows.. though i would like to go to NYC for Xmas one year

January 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • MinnesotaGirl

I'm glad you're willing to go out and experience snow, though!

I live in Minnesota, and I couldn't imagine living somewhere that is green all year. I must say though, not needing to experience negative temperatures every year would be nice! I think it's really interesting how the climate in which you grew up can push your living preferences to one extreme or the other.

January 12, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
      • MidnightSon

Minnesota is weak. You haven't seen winter until you have hit -50 in Fairbanks.

January 13, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  17. T3chsupport

I live in Portland, Oregon. We're having a very, very boring winter (despite what the people on the news keep trying to say... every day... and are wrong just as often. We're wanting it to hurry up and snow so they'll just get it out of their system and shut up about it!).

It's raining. It froze overnight, and the road was a little slick, but not too bad. Then it just melted, and rained.

In any case, I've been learning to make bread and other things from scratch, so if I need to really stock up I mostly need the baking isle, and stocking up is fairly cheap and supplies last a long time.

If the power goes out, we have a propane grill and Uno cards, and I'm not above starting a fire in my back yard!

January 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  18. Evil Grin

Editors, not advocating the eating of 10 year old canned ham? Shame on you. Don't you know canned ham is like a good wine? It gets better with age. One day when we have no trees left and the oceans are a massive ball of plastic products, canned ham will be all we have. And we'll be glad to have that vintage 1998, believe-you-me.

January 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  19. Parmella

I'd like to thank everyone above for all the good suggestions. Just moved to the mailand from Hawaii. Know what it is to stock up, but that is usually from the teamsters and their annual strikes! Camping stove – excellent idea! I have also had to learn to deal with that hole in my wall where you burn the wood – called a fireplace!! What a wonderful invention! It was a foreign concept to me – but I have mastered the art of not forgetting to open the flue. This is my first winter ever and I think I'm going to like this white stuff. Sort of.

January 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm |