iReport – Show us your biscuits
January 11th, 2011

We have a bit of an obsession with biscuits at Eatocracy. To us, they're more than just a tender, flaky, piping-hot, butter-slathered lump of bliss - they're a link to the past and often the people who made them for us.

Your assignment - share your biscuit story. It can be an account of the method you use to make a perfect batch, a remembrance from your youth or - and we're hoping some of you will have the opportunity to do this - following your mother, grandmother or other favorite biscuit maker into the kitchen and recording them as they work their magic.

Get some background on our biscuit fixation and upload your pictures, text and/or video by January 31, 2011 using iReport. We'll post our favorites in a loving tribute to the nation's biscuit makers.

See Assignment Biscuit on iReport

Previously – Lick the screen – a Biscuitville bologna biscuit and An ode to Dad and biscuits

Posted by:
Filed under: Biscuits • Buzz • Dishes • iReport

Next entry »
  1. Todd

Whatever biscuit recipe you make, try this (actually works for any baking that requires solid fats) : 3 parts butter to 2 parts lard. Best of both worlds as far as taste, leavening & crumb.

January 17, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Reply
  2. Tess

Baking reminds me of my dad, he was a baker for as long as I can remember. He makes these flaky, crispy, and utterly fantastic biscuits. The best part? He would cut apple rounds, cook them with brown suger and butter, so they were caramelized and serve the apples in the middle. Man, SO good. The apple is tart and a little crisp and just blends so perfectly with the buttery goodness of the biscuit and the sweetness of the brown suger. Perfect Christmas breakfast. Now I have a craving =D

January 11, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  3. Meghan

I still have a scar on my arm from the 500F pre-heated cast iron pan that I was dropping biscuits into, does that count? Oy, that's like 24 years ago now....

It was one where you scooped out some Crisco, then put the pan into the oven while you made the dough & cut the biscuits. They were dropped into the hot fat, flipped so both sides started to cook, and then it all went back into the oven to finish.

Mom only had a cast iron dutch oven, I think I was probably supposed to use a frying pan. I knew enough to set the biscuits in gently rather than dropping & splashing, but positioning one of the last two I just had the wrong angle and did some serious damage to the inside of my forearm. It didn't stop me from using the recipe again – just taught me to rotate the pan instead of reach akwardly.

January 11, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Reply
    • Meghan

January 11, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Reply
  4. J.B.Jingles

I remember my great grandmother making biscuits and the house smelling wonderful. She never did write any recipe down, so that one is lost, but I'm sure some lard and a cast iron skillet probably had something to do with the wonderful biscuits!

January 11, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Reply
  5. soleada

Drop biscuits like my mother would make in a crunch. They're very easy!

January 11, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Reply
  6. Henry Clingaman

I was going to school in San Francisco/ I didn't have alot of money but I had a Fanny Farmer Cookbook. I would make drop biscuits Hot with melted butter; they were great. Pretty fillling too you could put anything on them.

January 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Reply
    • Jerv

I googled a recipe. Seems rather interesting and simple. Did you make yours with buttermilk?

January 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Reply