Lunchtime poll – why aren't you eating your veggies?
January 10th, 2011

We went on a bit of a tear earlier this morning, exhorting the 94 percent of men and 96 percent of women who reportedly don't eat enough vegetables to belly on up to the greens bar and get cozy with some winter cucurbits.

People have a litany of excuses why they don't get their RDA of the dirt candy - veggies are too expensive or too hard to cook, they're intimidated by the food police, prep time takes too long, ad infinitum. But we said it then and we'll say it now - just try your best. Don't get all fussed about the food police or fret about messing 'em up. Just get some into your gullet and eventually you'll find the variety and cooking method that makes your whole body smile.

Vegetables. Eat them. Here's how.

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. ann

PS – this reminds me, I have to use up that zucchini in the fridge! A zucchini quiche is in order, I think - mmmmmm!

January 11, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  2. ann

Love veggies but I do have problems making sure I use everything before it becomes a biology experiment in my fridge. I recently kept an eggplant around too long – it looked fine on the outside but the inside was all brownish by the time I was ready to use it. It's in my worm composter now – they'll like it!

I also love the convenience of the salad mixes in the box or bag, but get really irritated because certain brands (e.g. Dole) NEVER last as long as the date on the package! I bought one that had a week to go on it recently, and the next day, there were already slimy leaves in there. That's just not right. I guess I'm better off buying the more expensive organic brand, because every time I do, that really does last as long as they claim it will. Wonder why?

January 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  3. dnfromge

Love veggies but have a hard time getting in the prescribed number of servings a day – I just don't eat that much. I try for a serving at lunch and a double at dinner – but that's it. I'm not a snacker, so I won't much on baby carrots or anything in between meals. Favorites are broccoli, brussels sprouts, beets and squash. Love green beens and cauliflower, but prefer them both raw rather than cooked. Love tomatoes and cucumbers in the summer. Corn is good any way it comes. Won't touch frozen or canned – they both tend to be more mushy than I like once cooked and I prefer borderline raw veggies. Brussels sprouts however, I like cooked in milk until soft, but not mushy – mmmm, probably my favorite.

January 11, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  4. phaub

I have a husband that doesn't like vegetables - that is until he tasted heirloom tomatoes I grew last summer. He still doesn't want to eat veggies in winter, but at least we can eat healthy in summer. I'm not a green thumb, but plan to be one this summer after seeing the Seed Savers Exchange 2011 seed catalog - http://www.seedsavers.org
    the veggies look delicious, they're definately more nutritious and the descriptions of each variety make your mouth water. They have starter plants and seeds,that can grow in containers on the window sill, on a deck or in a yard. Here's the link - check them out for yourself.

January 11, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  5. Happyface :D

Honestly I eat alot of vegatables, just in my comfort zone. I eat alot of broccoli, carrots, bell peppers occasionally, cucumber, and celery. But I usually don't venture beyond those 5. I do eat tons of most fruit, though.

January 11, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  6. D Myers

My husband only eats fruits and veggies and has come up with very interesting preps for them. My favorite is roasted green beans. He gets the small skinny ones (but any will do) and spreads them out on a cookie sheet. He spritzes with a little oilive oil, shakes on Old Bay seasoning and roasts at 425 for 10 mins. Toss them and back in for another 10 mins. When they come out he sprinkles with a packet of Equal or Splenda and toss. They become this hot/sweet bean that is so deliciious. I have 4 teens that eat them right off the pan before I get them to the table.

January 11, 2011 at 7:26 am |
    • Jerv

Hmm, very interesting, thanks.

January 11, 2011 at 7:32 am |
  7. Nick

I found out that the reason I didn't like vegetables as a kid was that my mother basically only boiled canned vegetables. I still won't eat them like that to this day. When I was 17 I got exposed to steaming and roasting and that changed my life. A few years later I was in a horticulture program learning to grow them myself and found out that vegetables are incredible fresh. People just need to be exposed to vegetables prepared properly.

January 10, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
  8. D'Santo

Here is a great way to get more veggies in your diet... soups! And peppers are so good.

David D'Santo
    Frenchie and the Yankee

January 10, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  9. explosion

I like salads but they are always one of the most expensive things on the menu, what the hell is up with that? I dont buy them at the store because I cant eat it fast enough before it rots. Everything goes bad in a day or 2, I think the grocery store gets slow delivery or doesnt stock until its about to expire.

January 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  10. wendy

steamed broccoli is the BESTEST.

January 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  11. Tazer

My sibs and I were basically only exposed to veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, and artichokes as kids. For me it's difficult to even realize that something like kale or chard is edible! I've been working on expanding my recipes so I have more options. Today I have a cucumber salad to go with lunch. Baby steps.

January 10, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  12. Angela Knipple

One of the easiest ways to get vegetables in at my house is marinara sauce. Sure it's good with fresh tomatoes in the summer, but a can of whole tomatoes, an onion, some garlic, and just about any other diced vegetable make a simple meal that always goes over well. We always make it in big batches and freeze it in quarts so that we will get our vegetables on those nights when cooking just doesn't happen.

January 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  13. Snowbunny

Most of my veggies need melted cheese or ranch dip!

January 10, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Queen of Everything@Snowbunny

I concur. Everything is better with melted cheese.

January 10, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
      • Happyface :D

Is ice cream better with melted cheese?

January 11, 2011 at 10:25 am |
      • Queen of Everything@HF

Not sure if you are trying to be funny or b!tchy. If you were going for the funny angle then yes, ice cream is better with melted cheese but only if it's chocolate flavored. If heinous b!tch was what you were going for then let me say that with your emoticon, you look like you could fit a lot of ice cream in your pie hole with room left over for some STFU sundae. Thanks for playing our game and have a great day!

January 11, 2011 at 10:40 am |
  14. Panda1895

I think there's a lot of vegetarians voting, and it's skewing the numbers. 55% (at the time of this comment) think they get enough veggies?

That is one of my new year's resolutions: to eat more veggies. I had green beans with lunch, so I am getting there!

January 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Cole

I don't think it's the vegetarian vote, but about inaccuracies. There was a recent survey taken by Consumer Reports Health asking Americans whether or not they have a healthy diet. A silly ~90% said they do. Another survey (sometime last year) done on obesity showed that obese people don't think that they're obese, but just overweight.

So, a lot of people don't really know what a healthy diet is and a lot of others aren't being completely honest. Here, I suspect there's a lot of exaggerating.

January 10, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  15. The Witty One

I just wrap my veggies in bacon. That makes them tasty.

January 10, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  16. RichardHead

I eat my Soylent Green-Sustains me all day and don't have to worry about the crowds at the store.

January 10, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Evil Grin

Not sure that's quite what they mean by greens... but whatever works for you. I think as long as soylent green remains true to its roots and doesn't start substituting horse meat in there, everyone will be happy.

January 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  17. Evil Grin

The trick is finding veggies that you like if you are not vegetable inclined, and finding things to do with them other than boiling them.

I eat a lot of vegetables, but I also go out of my way to find interesting things to do with them. Not all my experiments turn out well, but when I do find something good and new to me, it works really well.

January 10, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  18. Tyler

47% of people (at this time in the poll) actually think they eat enough veggies... that's funny!

January 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  19. J.B.Jingles

I know I can do more, but I do love me some veggies. One of my food resolutions this year...so stopping by the local farmer's market today... This is a good recipe I've tried and very simple. http://www.food.com/recipe/Potage-Parmentier-Potato-Leek-Soup-Julia-Child-270731

January 10, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  20. Truth

I drink a can of V8 every day, and I love a salad with Gerard's Champagne vinaigrette dressing. Green beans as well, but that is probably it. I know I should do more (hangs head in shame)

January 10, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  21. Foodie Al

I LOVE vegetables! I easily get 5 servings a day. If I need to concentrate on getting more of anything this year, it's fruit. Too sweet...

January 10, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  22. jillmarie

I do make sure I get my veggies in. I'm shocked to see more men than women eat enough vegetables! I actually loved that article- looking forward to making kale chips.

January 10, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  23. OneFin

just too many fat/sugar/junky choices that I'm conditioned to select rather than veggies. And I like veggies... just will pick up a chocolate bar, french fries or cheese puffs instead.

January 10, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,388 other followers