Lunchtime poll – food taboos
January 7th, 2011

A few days ago, we ran a poll asking if our readers felt that Americans' longstanding cultural taboo on the consumption of horse meat would ever lessen. Somewhat to our surprise, only 30 percent of respondents believed that it would hold firm, and the rest felt, to varying degrees, that pending economic and ecological factors, horse meat would eventually find its way onto domestic menus.

From the comments:

I don't see horse meat as a huge deal. What makes it different from eating a cow, deer, or elk? They are all mammals of a similar type, and it can be said that moose, elk, or deer are as intelligent as a horse, and many cow lovers would talk about how intelligent they are.

I don't understand why people see some meat as being wrong, and others as being normal (primates aside), and cultural bias aside I'd like to hear a valid argument against eating horse meat (or cat/dog for that matter). - Tyler

It's psychological, I think. I struggle sometimes with what's the difference between my dog and a cow. Animals we've been trained to view as pets tend to not be socially acceptable as food. I have to admit, the thought of horse meat turns my stomach – but I know there's no rational reason why it should if I also eat beef, pork & chicken. - Laura

The difference is humans have a social contract with horses, much the same way we do with cats and dogs. Horses serve a purpose in our lives: they are companions and provide transportation. Implicit in that social contract is to not eat them. In other words: we do not eat our friends. It breaks down the bond that exists between human and pet. We rely on these animals for work and companionship. How can we ask so much of them and then slaughter them for food? Obviously this is cultural. Many cultures either do not feel this bond or don't consider it taboo to (in my mind) disrespect this bond. - Ben

For me, it's not only for my personal belief as an Christian (read Leviticus chapter 23), but also my personal feelings as a Christian as no other animal is mentioned in the Holy Bible as often as is the Horse. - Lona

We'll talk a bit more about this later today and delve a bit deeper into personal reasoning (not to mention sharing a wicked cute picture of my pet rabbit Claudette), but for now, how far will you go in the name of adventurous eating?

And no, we didn't include human meat. Just not going there.

« Previous entry
  1. GiGi Eats Celebrities

I'll pretty much eat any animal, as long as it had a healthy diet, IE: wild, free ranged, no grains.

November 18, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Reply
  2. Billige Nike Free Sko

Dame 2012 Nike Free Trainer, Billige Kvinder Dame 2012 Nike Free Trainer Salg, Great Price, Kampe Rabat, gode anmeldelser, hoj kvalitet, sikker levering, intet salg Skat og betaling med kreditkort.
    Billige Nike Free Sko http://www.vnikefree.com/

November 18, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Reply
  3. clickerbug

I have a personal suspicion that we are not meant to eat other carnivores.

We eat animals that feed on plant matter and it's pretty much safe. But once you eat a bit higher on the food chain, i.e. animals that only eat other animals, then I have a suspicion that a) the nutrients are not as plentiful and therefore the meat is not as nutritious, and b) somehow - I can't explain the science except that I read it somewhere during the Mad Cow scare - the proteins are more prone to harm the animals that eat the animals that eat animals.

By my theory, it would seem to be OK to eat horse, then. I think I can't because of my personal feelings toward them, but I don't think it would be "wrong." Eating lion, on the other hand, just seems really unhealthy.

My theory doesn't explain why we can eat fish, though, so I admit there's not a whole lot to back it up outside of a gut feeling.

January 22, 2011 at 12:53 am | Reply
  4. ***

I see IDIOT Vapor is back...

January 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  5. dillon ried- 303 246 1066

NO NO NO NO NO MY PEEPEE!
    I NEEDS IT

January 20, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  6. onosheidnnt

MooMoo's Friend
    Warning! Please read the following!
    ===============================================================
    I've eaten the following:
    Baby humans
    Baby diapers
    Baby Cougar
    Baby moon
    The sun
    Baby wombatt
    Laptops
    Airplains
    Zebra
    Money, lots and lots of money!
    Chuck Norris's peepee
    People
    Mice
    Rats
    Rat poisoning
    Propane and Propane accessories
    Cars
    I ove eating stuff that's big and can kil you!

-Jack needs to die he doesen't know how to chop his head off!!!
    DoooooooooooD

January 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Reply
  7. MooMoo's Friend

Warning! Please read the following!
    ===============================================================
    I've eaten the following:
    Baby humans
    Baby diapers
    Baby Cougar
    Baby moon
    The sun
    Baby wombatt
    Laptops
    Airplains
    Zebra
    Money, lots and lots of money!
    Chuck Norris's peepee
    People
    Mice
    Rats
    Rat poisoning
    Propane and Propane accessories
    Cars
    I ove eating stuff that's big and can kil you!

-Jack needs to die he doesen't know how to chop his head off!!!
    ----------------------------------------–

January 12, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Reply
  8. VV

Hey, wanna do it sometime?

January 12, 2011 at 11:05 am | Reply
    • Jack

Whatz your deal?

January 12, 2011 at 11:57 am | Reply
  9. VV

I wear a belt to my chest because I'm so fat I want my fat to look like boobs!

January 12, 2011 at 11:05 am | Reply
  10. VV

sup

January 12, 2011 at 11:04 am | Reply
  11. Dillon Ried Jr. -303-246-10066

Yeah, I've got a basement where I torture my sluts/ sex slaves too

January 12, 2011 at 11:03 am | Reply
  12. dillon ried- 303 246 1066

WIT DA PROTECTION IBET DA USED ONES SMELL LIKE CANDY

January 12, 2011 at 11:03 am | Reply
  13. Dillon Ried Jr. -303-246-10066

I'm trying to hang myself at the moment.

January 12, 2011 at 11:02 am | Reply
    • Jack

That's probably a good idea. You sound like you are mentally ill.

January 12, 2011 at 11:58 am | Reply
      • Dillon Ried Jr.

Hey, shut the hell up and kill yourself ok? i'm not mentaly ill I just choose not to be smart, I do not have mental problems biatch I'ma go whack it to your name, sexah

January 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Reply
  14. dillon ried- 303 246 1066

NOT DA PROTECTION!!! I HAS IT I KEEP IT I HANG IT ON MY WALL I SMELL DA USED ONES

January 12, 2011 at 11:01 am | Reply
  15. Dillon Ried Jr. -303-246-10066

...But I do use protection so I don't know what the big deal is! I don't know why he's so mad? I am a fagot..

January 12, 2011 at 10:58 am | Reply
  16. dillon ried- 303 246 1066

R!!! IMA PIRATE WIT MY PEEPEE ON DA POOPDECK

January 12, 2011 at 10:57 am | Reply
  17. Dillon Ried Jr. -303-246-10066

...But I do use protection so I don't know what the big deal is!

January 12, 2011 at 10:56 am | Reply
  18. dillon ried- 303 246 1066

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! MY PEEPEE!!! MY BOLOVED PEEPEE!!!!
    I NEEED IT!!!!
    OR I"LL CRY BLOOD

January 12, 2011 at 10:55 am | Reply
  19. Dillon Ried Jr. -303-246-10066

Sometimes I squeal and I think my roommate thinks I'm doin' his mom... AGAIN!

January 12, 2011 at 10:54 am | Reply
  20. Dillon Ried Jr. -303-246-10066

It's really fun to mess with when I'm lonley and bored in my bed!

January 12, 2011 at 10:53 am | Reply
  21. Dillon Ried Jr. -303-246-10066

It's so small

January 12, 2011 at 10:50 am | Reply
    • dillon ried- 303 246 1066

I NO RIGHT!!!!
      I'd LIKE 2 CUT IT OFF AND PUT IT IN A JAR!!!!

January 12, 2011 at 10:51 am | Reply

Baby moon
    The sun
    Baby wombatt
    Laptops
    Airplains
    Zebra
    Money, lots and lots of money!
    Chuck Norris's peepee
    Moby STICK
    by

January 12, 2011 at 10:44 am | Reply
    • dillon ried- 303 246 1066

Chuck Norris PEEPEE ME 2!!!!!!
      It tasted so good!!

January 12, 2011 at 10:48 am | Reply
  23. Cree ganMoryn

I have ethics based food exceptions. That includes anything produced by Tyson, Smithfield, Monsanto and others of their ilk who have a strangle-hold on our food supply and are power-sick enough to try and foust something like this off on the unsuspecting consumer. This would justify in their minds the slaughter of thousands of wild Mustangs every year. The last wild bison of Yellowstone are right up there with the Mustangs in this government sanctioned slaughter.

January 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Reply
  24. t

i have eaten:
    Y-religious-taboo food
    Y-meat
    Y-animal products
    Y-cute and fuzzy animals (guinea pig)
    Y-dog (no cat yet)
    Y-horses
    N-primates (turned down monkey brains)
    N-dolphin (will do given the opportunity)
    Y-rodent (water rat)
    Y-whale (deelish)
    Y-fetus (balut = mmmmmm)
    Y-insects (probably not again)

ITS ALL FAIR GAME

January 11, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  25. pete nicer

I believe i have the right to eat all creatures that are incapable of grasping the Pythagorean theorem.

January 11, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  26. Practical

Europeans started eating horse meat because the Nazis would wipe out their livestock as they moved through – but horses would be left dead on battlefields and it was the only recourse. Some europeans still do as a left over cultural element- but it is falling in disfavor.

Humans should not eat animals who are intelligent and conscious enough to:

Play with toys
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emxI-nRGWBE&w=640&h=390]

figure out how to open complicated door locks
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIQdFzN-XgQ&w=640&h=390]

act in a helpful manner
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAs9u7VBPbU&w=640&h=390]

enjoys competing and doing a good job:
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRUuO_J-r4&w=640&h=390]

January 11, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  27. V

There are very few things I won't try at least once. I wouldn't eat primate because genetically they are so close to us that it would poison a human. Cannibalism slowly deteriorates the muscles, much like eating primate would for a human we are just too close. The other thing I would have a problem eating is dolphin, the mercury level in the meat is too high and again becomes poisonous in large amounts, or over a long period of time. Other than that I think I'd try anything once, as long as it didn't wiggle too much ;)

January 11, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  28. Medium-rare

I want a penguin burger

January 11, 2011 at 11:21 am | Reply
  29. Paul

First, I do not appreciate someone on this list of comments calling another an idiot. As for me, I do not eat the flesh of dead animals, based on health. The animals have the uric acids left in them, as well as the fecal matter that hadn't been expelled. The vegans have the longest life span. I am an egg and butter and milk/cream eater. Also cheese. But I do find Leviticus Chapter 11 in God's book very informative when it comes to what is clean and unclean with regards to animal flesh. I figure God created them and Hhhe knows about their make up. He also says he will require the life of the person whoever kills an animal and eats it.(see Gen.9:5). CNN is to be thanked for allowing this privilege to express our thoughts but it would be nice to be able to report abuse, such as calling someone an idiot because they disagree with you.
    Respects,
    Paul

January 11, 2011 at 10:40 am | Reply
    • Steve

Good post.

January 14, 2011 at 2:31 am | Reply
  30. Mike

Other: List below. Okay.

I'll pretty much try anything once, and will indulge again if I liked it. I do have a few won't-even-try-them-said-Sam-I-am foods. From the list, those are living animals (fresh plants remain endangered on my plate) and fetal meats (though young, born food, like veal, is also fair game). The others off the list:

1) Endangered animals. I'll try non-human primates if they're common, but don't give me mountain gorilla. I'm not that jaded.
    2) Human. I'm not a cannibal (sp). I've heard some folks like to eat human placentas and they're welcome to my portion.
    3) Butt products. You can have your civet cat coffee and its delicious aroma of civet cat digestive juices.

Other than endangered species, I don't have great ethical reasons behind those rules. It's mostly just squeamishness and lingering cultural mores.

January 11, 2011 at 8:44 am | Reply
  31. Shannon

I could not eat any of the things listed.

January 11, 2011 at 3:24 am | Reply
  32. DanniB

I avoid Carnivors or omnivors. The meat is not supposed to be good for you, and those that I have tried were not good

January 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Reply
  33. WildhorseprotectionactFB

Thank you CNN for bringing awareness to the inhumane, dark industry that is "horse slaughter".

People here in the CNN poll, spoke loudly they do not want to consume horses and voiced strong opposition to horse slaughter being reintroduced to the US.

Horse slaughter was shut down because it is inhumane and unnecessary, that truth has not changed...nor the truth that our wild horses and domestic horses are loved, held sacred and deserve to live in peace and safety here.

January 10, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Reply
  34. Nancy Lee

It's interesting that this poll includes a photo of horses at the top of the web page, indicating that the poll probably came into being as a result of recent discussion about legalizing horse slaughter in the United States. The pro-horse-slaughter folks often use the argument that, since horses are eaten in other parts of the world, why not kill them here and ship the meat to them? A list of things that people do eat in other parts of the world should enhance our understanding that food taboos are practical, cultural and ethical. I personally feel that keeping horse meat OFF the menu is a practical, cultural and ethical choice. Practical: most domestic horses are given drugs forbidden for human consumption; cultural: were it not for horses, Europeans wouldn't have been able to conquer this continent (for better or worse); ethical: we raise horses primarily as companions and partners, not as food livestock. So, the list of foods that other cultures eat? Camels' eyes (Bedouin), bull penis and monkey brains (China), rats (West Africa), curried goat fetus (Anglo-Indian community in Southern India), rotted shark (Iceland), poisonous fugu fish (Japan), fried cockroach (Thailand), roasted dog heads (Viet Nam), maggoty cheese (Sardinia), pig blood soup (Philipines), dog meat stew (Batak, Indonesia), human flesh (Korowai, New Guinea; Congo, Liberia, Sierra Leone). Sue Wallis, Wyoming State Representative, who works tirelessly to make horse slaughter legal in this country, might also want to look into the maggot cheese and roasted dog head market, unless she's too busy defending herself from ethics charges arising from developing horse slaughterhouse plants concurrently with pro-slaughter legislative activities.

January 10, 2011 at 10:30 am | Reply
    • Nancy Lee

If CNN wanted to do more than just gloss over the surface of the horse slaughter issue with lunchtime polls, it could investigate the people and organizations who seek to profit from it. It's a tangled web but there are some easy starting points, including Sue Wallis of Wyoming, who lobbies non-Wyoming state legislatures and Indian tribes to agree to slaughter plants, while, as Executive Director of Unified Equine LLC, she plans to develop slaughter plants in Wyoming and other states (http://www.animallawcoalition.com/horse-slaughter/article/1486). Investigators might also look at tax incentives offered to breeders enrolled with the American Quarter Horse Association and other horse "associations" that commend horse slaughter. "Follow the money" and you'll find the real reasons behind the horse slaughter proposals – as opposed to the propaganda tirelessly espoused by Wallis and her cohorts.

January 10, 2011 at 10:48 am | Reply
  35. Alison

I do not eat much in the way of meat at all but i enjoy it when i do have it, however i do not think it is OK to eat meat and i do feel guilty eating it because some poor creature has had to die in order to put a chop or a stake on my plate. I could not eat anything which still looks like the animal it came from and i could not kill anything. I would definitely become vegetarian if i had to do that. I would never eat anything which could be considered a pet such as a dog or cat or horse or hamster etc. but then where does hat list end as people keep all sorts of animals as pets. Maybe this is where the guilt comes into my meat eating? I also wonder how frightened the poor animal was before i was put to death, what was going through its mind at the time? I think i am convincing myself to become a vegetarian full stop!

January 10, 2011 at 5:34 am | Reply
    • Steve

Have you seen the Earthlings documentary? You can view it for free on the film's website (earthlings dot com). In case you want a little (er, a lot) more convincing!

January 10, 2011 at 7:05 am | Reply
  36. Leery

What amazes me is that someone could think of eating an animal that could have been someones pet or companion. I would not trust anyone that could do that.

January 9, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  37. Blessed Geek

Soylent Green

January 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Reply
  38. Chewonthis

Vegetarian=Indian word for bad hunter

January 9, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Reply
  39. Andrew

I say it's high time we just start to eat humans. What's the big deal? Meat is meat. A juicy burger is a juicy burger. A steak is a steak. A roast is a roast. A hot dog is a hot dog. A sausage is a sausage. Everyone dies, so why are we wasting resources cremating people or burying them in boxes when they would make a delicious roast. Once it's cut up and in a plastic wrapped package at the grocery store what's the difference? Once it's on the barbecue what's the difference? Once it's fried what's the difference? Once you melt cheese on it, wrap it in bacon and stick it on bread what's the difference? Once you make it into meatballs for your spaghetti what's the difference. If you eat animal meat and then balk at human meat then you're psychologically brainwashed. Fools.

January 9, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Reply
  40. Brett from Toronto

As a pro-life activist, I would not eat any unborn meat. Balut reminds me of abortion. Anything live is fair game to me. I do not like cats and dogs and have no problem with some cultures eating them. Horse meat is the same as cows etc., and the Japanese have every right to hunt Whale and Dolphin. I have seen the action on Whale Wars and it is funny to watch people on the Left side of the political spectrum waste their lives to ruin busiess and force their diets on people who have eaten Whale/Dolphin for years.

January 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Reply
    • Steve

Interesting. I am vegetarian for much the same reason as I am pro life. A voice for the suffering and slaughtered voiceless. The Japanese are notorious for their cetacean massacres to make a few bucks, acting like juvenile delinquents when it comes to complying with whaling laws. They'll hold up hand-painted signs saying "research" whenever aircraft fly over their vessels as they carve up half-dead whales and dolphins to be canned and sent off to meat markets. "Research".....right. Anyway, regardless of one's stance on what is morally acceptable to eat, a primary reason for the moratorium on whaling is for conservation. Whales are in far more danger of going extinct than other animals people may consume. The Japanese (perhaps not in general, but many including authorities) do not care. If it makes them money, it's fair game.

Additionally, I'm sure most people, meat-eaters included, would agree that animals should be killed humanely. This is very difficult with whales. You can't pop them off with a bolt gun to the head, an electric shock in the anus (or several other standard butchery methods that are more gruesome but still more humane than in whaling). They are harpooned and left to struggle and bleed to death for possibly hours, perhaps even while being "processed". Hell, they even use grenade-tipped harpoons at times, blowing out chunks of the living whale or perhaps giving it a concussion if it explodes in the water nearby. All in all it's a fairly barbaric practice. I won't even get into the dolphin massacres – and the attitude of the fishermen involved – made public by The Cove documentary.

January 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Reply
      • Ernest

You are so wrong yes they do kill a lot of whales but its there culture. Who are we to judge that? Fact is buddy nature gave us those four sharp teeth for a reason...the body needs meat. And currently living in Japan I have tried whale, horse the whole 9 yards. I wish vegans would get off the "Im saving a living creature even though nature says I should be eating it" high horse. Plus I guess its ok for vegan groups like PETA to fund domestic terrosits to try and scare ppl into thinking theyre right. Fact is buddy, plants are living creatures too. Science has proven they react to music, positively or negatively depending on the kind of music. So remember when youre eating your salad your eating a bowel of slaughter. I wont be a hypocrite and Ill continue with what I was designed for

January 9, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Reply
      • Steve

"You are so wrong yes they do kill a lot of whales but its there culture. Who are we to judge that?"

Thinking individuals and nations who are concerned about both suffering and conservation on global scales, that's who. I will never subscribe to the cultural relativism argument. Would you have sat back in the late 30's as Hitler began oppressing and rounding up Jews, saying "oh that's just their culture, who are we to judge?" Do you support the freedom of certain cultures today that restrict basic human rights from women? After all, who are we to judge, right? It's just their culture. Hm.

"Fact is buddy nature gave us those four sharp teeth for a reason"

Do a side by side comparison of human physiology with an average carnivore's and an average herbivore's and get back to me. At any rate, one could argue that we have a vestigial tailbone for swinging through trees. Having the ability to use our bodies in certain ways has no logical bearing on whether we should or not. *That* question should be left up to ethics, pragmatism, etc.

"the body needs meat."

This is a common misconception. It does not *need* meat. Meat just makes the diet simpler, since it contains many required nutrients that the consumed animal already took up and processed from plant material (or other animals) during their lifetime. We can cut out the middle man (er, animal) and get the nutrients directly. How else would so many vegans/vegetarians live perfectly healthy lives? (you may say some don't, which is true. But of course, a great many meat-eaters aren't healthy either).

"I wish vegans would get off the "Im saving a living creature even though nature says I should be eating it" high horse."

It's not a "high horse". It's an ethical belief. Though for many it goes far beyond pure ethics to economics, health, and environmentalism as well. There is much to be gained by reducing meat consumption, and I have seen scientific studies that agree (pertaining to pollution and health, in particular).

"Plus I guess its ok for vegan groups like PETA to fund domestic terrosits to try and scare ppl into thinking theyre right."

It's pretty hard to debate with a meat eater about vegetarianism without them bringing up PETA... However, PETA is simply an organization with its own agenda. Whatever it does or doesn't do has no logical bearing on the merits of some or all of their stated ideals (veganism, etc). Please remember that.

"Fact is buddy, plants are living creatures too. Science has proven they react to music, positively or negatively depending on the kind of music. So remember when youre eating your salad your eating a bowel of slaughter."

Cute – and I hear this one from meat eaters a lot – but the ethical standpoint deals with suffering. Pain and psychological/emotional distress require nervous systems, characteristic in (most) animals, not plants. You know full well there's a difference, and you are trying to lump plants in with animals in a vain attempt at undermining the ethics component of the vegetarian/vegan philosophy.

"I wont be a hypocrite and Ill continue with what I was designed for"

That is not a reasonable argument. You are basically resigning to your primal instincts and ignoring an intellectual argument that goes beyond the primitive. Besides, you weren't "designed" to eat meat anyway. If you believe in evolution, organisms simply "survive" based on natural selection to pass on their genes. The fact that you are capable of processing meat metabolically doesn't necessarily say anything about what you were evolutionarily "designed" for or what you are "supposed" to eat, because nature doesn't prescribe such things. We simply make our own inferences based on what we see in our physiology/anatomy. But still, it is naive to hold ourselves to behaving only in a manner that matches what we perceive to be our "designed purpose".
        If you are a Creationist (Christian, for the sake of argument), I still argue that we were not designed specifically to eat meat. Genesis states that vegetation was provided as food for humans and other animals alike. No mention is made likewise of animals as food. The only vaguely related reference is that humans have dominion over the animals, but that hardly means we can do what we want with them. A king has dominion over his kingdom...does that mean he can freely eat his citizens?

My 2 cents.

January 10, 2011 at 6:56 am | Reply
    • Steve

Brett, I actually had not heard of balut before, so I just looked it up. I am utterly disgusted. Also, why am I not surprised it is an Asian dish... Asia has arguably the most unnecessarily cruel cuilinary practices in the world (typically involving cooking and consumption or partial consumption of live animals and, apparently, intentionally partially growing fetuses and then cooking them; truly barbaric).

January 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  41. billy

I have eaten a lot of liver in my life and now currently in Korea I have had slug, cows blood, chicken feet, pig intestines. Soon I will eat dog, my girlfriend said it is good but most do not like the smell. Whoever says they can't eat cute and fuzzy, it won't be fuzzy on your plate. My girlfriend can eat anything, her father told her when young that, "If it doesn't kill you, you can eat it."

Seriously, we ride horses still? FIRE UP THE GRILL!!!

January 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Reply
    • Steve

Isn't that a rather primitive approach to diet? I find it unfortunate that many people's reasons for eating meat amount to "because we can" or "we historically did" or "we're at the top of the food chain and are more intelligent". These aren't the stone ages anymore, and we are not brutish, dim-witted neanderthals. Let's put our minds to good use. Rather than "can we eat it?", let's start asking "should we eat it?", "do we really need to eat it?", and "are there better alternatives ethically, economically, environmentally, and health-wise?". I for one am not interested in my digestive tract becoming a corpse conveyor belt for any animal I can find to shove in my mouth...

January 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  42. pny

Don't eat mammals.

January 9, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  43. hunger

its all fair games you ppl would die in the wild. I have a problem eating animal heads raw,cooked or how ever you prepare them.i still wouldnt have a problem eatn monkeys cep chimps gorillas and oragatangs(i like them)so mayb i would try them at least once.
    i hear in some places them trap little monkeys in the table by there head and smack open there skulls with a hammer walla dinner. btw i heard its possible to go thru life eating only meat but if you try the same with veggies the outcome isnt so well(its that y vegans are so pale and thin)

January 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Reply
    • momma in new england

"Vegans are so pale and thin"? I don't know how many you have actually encountered, but in case you haven't noticed the average American on the SAD diet is overtly obese with a myraid of diseases. Perhaps some of the vegans have not been educated on the natural health laws, nutrition, exercise, water, sunshine, temperance, air, rest,and trust in God. In case you haven't noticed, most of the biggest and strongest animals in the world are herbivores, elephants, giraffes, moose, cow, deer, rhino, and what the world deems as "our cousins", the primates. The animals that people tend to eat are herbivores. Why go through the middleman when you can go direct?

January 9, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Reply
    • Jason

@mama hear hear!

January 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Reply
    • Derek

"btw i heard its possible to go thru life eating only meat but if you try the same with veggies the outcome isnt so well(its that y vegans are so pale and thin)"

Cue the old saying "don't believe everything you hear". Based on my own research, a pure meat diet would be far less healthy than a pure vegetable diet. In fact one compilation of studies indicated that those who eat a relatively high amount of meat are more prone to certain cancers and heart disease. Pure meat would certainly cut your lifespan. A vegan diet can be fine if you know what you're doing. Cases of unhealthy vegans are mostly those who simply don't pay attention to eating properly and getting the right nutrients. But of course that's a good rule of thumb for someone on any diet.

January 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Reply
      • farnsworth

tell that to the eskimo's

January 10, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Reply
  44. Nom Nom Nomnivore

I'll eat anything that tastes good. I've eaten both cat and dog, alpaca, jelly fish, guinea pig, rat, etc.I even ate placenta after my daughter was born. With so many people in the world going hungry I only see a problem with WASTING food.

January 9, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  45. Laura Bell

Most of you are missing a point in the reasoning against horse slaughter in the US: the fact that it is mostly the mass production "foal mill" breeders and the owners and trainers who start horses in hard training as yearlings and 2-year-olds in order for them to compete for the high $$$ purses at 3, and then use the kill sales and slaughter as a means to dispose of the horses they don't want (and many of these breeders produce hundreds of foals individually so they can select that small handful of "shining stars" and dispose of the unwanteds at the kill sale) and so they don't have to pay to dispose of the carcasses. If horse slaughter is allowed to continue in the form of exporting horses to Mexico and/or Canada, and if the slaughterhouses that process horses reopen in the US, this is like a reward for those irresponsible, unethical, greedy a**holes to keep over-producing horses since they don't ever pay to dispose of the ones they don't want, have crippled up by 3 or 4 years old, who aren't well bred enough for the breeding shed, etc. I don't know about other taxpayers, but I don't want my money going to support these jerks and their crap of over-production and ruining horses.
    The issue with wild horses is a different scenario, but still goes back once again to greed and bad behavior mainly on the part of the western states welfare ranchers who want to completely take over the Open Range at the expense once again of we taxpayers who pay for them to be in business to the tune of close to 700 million dollars a year. There are now only approx. 26,000 on BLM/public land, and there are over 3 MILLION head of cattle on that same land. Hmm, doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the numbers and realize that 26,000 wild horses can't impact the range all but a fraction of what over 3 million cattle does. The reason the cattle producers want this land is because they only have to pay $1.35 per head of cattle, per month (AUM) to run their cattle on the open range, compared to what ranchers in other parts of the country have to pay to lease private land and pay upwards of $14.00 per head, per month. Incidentally, the western states cattle ranchers only produce about 3% of the total of beef produced in the US, so they could disappear tomorrow and not only wouldn't we notice that their beef isn't at the supermarkets anymore, but the taxpayers would be saving at leat 500 million dollars because we wouldn't have to be paying their way anymore. As it is now, they go out every fall before they turn their cattle out in November and "sanatize" the range by killing every living thing that either competes with their cattle for food and water, or are predators to their cattle. However, since the wild horses and burros on BLM land are still protected under the 1971 FREE ROAMING Wild Horse and Burro Act, as the name of the Act states, the horses and burros must be allowed to roam free, without fences everywhere, so the ranchers basically use the BLM and the Dept of Ag to eradicate the horses and burros that they would just go out and kill like all the other wildlife if it was legal to do so, and thus, they can then fence off our public land so no one will be able to use it (i.e. hikers, bikers, ATV's, camping, fishing, etc). I live in Northern Nevada, surrounded by BLM land and I already for many years have experienced fences that go without a gate or cattle guard for miles and miles, so we can't gain access to our public land, and have also had ranchers attempt to intimidate me off the range.
    And besides the obvious that we as a culture typically do not eat horsemeat, so why the hell would we want to have our taxpayer dollars go to supporting that industry, horses are not raised the same at all as most livestock such as cattle, pigs, sheep, etc. I happen to have a 15 year old, 1500# pet steer named Karma, however, he is definetely not the "norm" when it comes to how cattle are kept and how they are treated. Most all cattle either have to be put into chutes, or roped and thrown in order to brand, doctor and vaccinate them. Most horses OTOH are raised around humans from birth, are trained to accept riders on their backs, they learn to trust humans, etc, and then as a final insult from these production breeders, they get shipped for slaughter is the ultimate betrayal. With the wild horses, even though not raised around humans typically (although, I had a band of 6 at my place the other night at 1:30 AM and was hand-feeding the stallion and 2 mares, and scratching the baby, just long enough to feed my horses more food and then I shooed the wild ones away), they are literally the only thing standing between we taxpayers and our ability to recreate on BLM/public land, and the western states welfare ranchers who are intent on taking over the range entirely so none of us can use it. Horses are also a species native to North America, unlike cattle, so I know I'd much rather see bands of wild horses and burros rather than what I'm seeing now when I drive down the highway, and thats thousands of cattle in just a very small area that I see as I'm driving, so we know there are thousands/millions more out-of-sight cattle grazing here, and in other states besides Nevada, that we are all forced to pay for with our taxpayer dollars.
    Ultimately, it's not only about whether we eat horsemeat in the US or not, it's about control of our Federal/public land (the cattle ranchers), and responsible horse breeding and not allowing "foal mill" operations to operate unchecked and dispose of thousands of horses every year at the kill sales because they don't want to pay for euthansia and disposal of the body, with once again, we taxpayers being stuck always paying, paying and paying some more for things that do not benefit us in the least, and always end up costing us money. Even if you're a person who couldn't care less whether horses are slaughtered or not, any person with any intelligence at all should care about the rest of us being used in regard to these groups greedy and irresponsible behavior, and them using us to pay their bills and also using slaughter to avoid doing the responsible thing and NOT over-breed horses. http://www.starwoodfarm.com http://www.animalwaystation.org

January 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Reply