Aaaa...aaaa...aaachooooo!
January 6th, 2011

Ugh. Team Eatocracy is down for the count today, felled by winter colds and random crud. We'll be posting less today, but if you feel like keeping us company, how 'bout posting some of your favorite cold remedies in the comments below? We'd be most aaa...aaa...choo!...ppreciative.

Posted by:
Filed under: Food as Medicine

1. Jennifer Hess

I drink mug after mug of hot low-sodium vegetable juice spiked with black pepper and as much hot sauce as I can stand. It seems to do a great job of both settling an icky stomach and loosening congestion. And when I'm ready for something more substantial, it's chicken soup. I make it like my grandmother does, with lots of onion, garlic, and cumin in the broth, plus rice, chickpeas, and diced potato. Top with cilantro and squeeze in some fresh lime juice and you're golden.

January 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  2. MiraUncut

fresh ginger cubes + slices of lemon boiled as tea + honey. 2 times/day. You will be feeling better in a couple days.

January 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
  3. Mildred

Hot and sour soup or any type with Pho (don't shy with the hot stuff). Chicken noodle soup or matzoh ball soup in a pinch.

I also drink mint tea with honey, and hot water with honey and lemon.

For a really bad sore throat I'll take a teaspoon of honey mixed with lemon juice straight... home made liquid cough drop!

January 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
  4. Amanda

Lots and lost of fluids, hot tea, water, real orange juice. I always freeze chicken soup after I make it so I have some on reserve for sick days. But on the off chance that I don't have any on hand, Pho Ga – be liberal with the jalepenos and siracha. And lots and lots of sleep. I made the mistake of trying to outsmart my cold and trick my body into thinking I wasn't sick by staying active – ended up with a double ear infection and throat infection, so not worth it. Probably compromised my immunse system enough to get sicker than I would have orignally had I not stayed active.

January 6, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  5. Panda1895

What I have always found to work is throw on warm pjs, thick socks, throw every blanket you own on your bed, get a glass of water and go to sleep. When you wake up, eat some hot soup and go back to sleep.

For everything except the plague I caught in November, it has never taken over 24 hours to get rid of a bug.

January 6, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  6. Anita

Miso soup, as hot as you can take it.

January 6, 2011 at 11:15 am |
    • Sally bertlesman

Hot spicy soup.....up the spicy

January 6, 2011 at 11:36 am |
      • Anita

I meant "hot" temperature-wise... I don't eat spicy-hot foods. But if it works for you, it might work for others!

January 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  7. Guinn

I agree with our erudite purveyor of Truth above...anything hot with rum, and add some really warm blankets, a few good movies (something you could doze through and not miss much), some soup and plenty of water!

January 6, 2011 at 11:06 am |
  8. Evil Grin

Green tea, ramen and massive vitamin C.

Do you have the creeping crud that's been going around? If so try some mucinex and Advil cold and flu. This is something I've gotten more than once already this year as it's been going around and coming back around. The first time I suffered through almost two weeks without anything in the way of medicine. After that I started on the medicine as soon as I realized I was getting sick again, and I was only sick for a couple of days each. Much more tolerable.

January 6, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  9. desiree

green tea with lemon, honey, and a shot of rock & rye. alternate with mugs of ginger and garlic chicken broth, and don't skimp on the sriracha!

January 6, 2011 at 10:55 am |
  10. Truth

Anything hot laced *liberally* with rum.

January 6, 2011 at 10:04 am |
    • RichardHead

I hate it when people get Political on a Food Blog! : }

January 6, 2011 at 10:08 am |
      • Jerv@RicH

LOL! Probably the only thing that Truth does liberally.

January 6, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  11. Jerv

Kill it with liquor and hot soup.

January 6, 2011 at 9:55 am |
    • RichardHead@Jerv

Brilliant Jerv,My recommendation also!

January 6, 2011 at 10:01 am |
    • Snowbunny@Jerv

I honestly have never tried killing a cold with liquor. What kind are you talking about and how would you make it? I see others have mentioned Rum??? Do tell! Colds are bad news. :(

January 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
      • Jerv@snowbunny

I like George Dickel sour mash whiskey with SpriteZero.

January 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,987 other followers