Lunchtime poll – food resolutions
January 3rd, 2011

We mentioned earlier today that we've resolved to pop the cork, lid and casing on the edibles we'd been saving for a special occasion - especially if they are in peril of perishing. It's not about living luxe or overindulging, but rather appreciating what we have and honoring those who produced it.

Over at Salon.com, our friend Francis Lam has vowed to eschew cheap chicken. Chef and author Michael Ruhlman has dedicated the month to breadmaking, cookbook author and Meatless Monday advocate Kim O'Donnel calls our attention to a Wall Street Journal plea for 2011 to be The Year of the Vegetable and Epicurious Associate Editor Esther Sung has made a vow to live more simply, including making better choices at the market.

Read – Resolution 2011: Eat the good stuff

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Lunchtime Poll • New Year's • Resolutions

« Previous entry
  1. Lesley

I currently prepare almost all of my husband and my meals. We eat fish, poultry, and vegetables. My goal to try in the next week is to have us go vegan for at least a month.

January 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Amanda

Less meat, more veggies, less fat, more fruit (I hardly ever eat fruit), less process foods, more local food. If I can make it out to the farmer's market at least once a week I'd consider that one a success. I'm paying more attention to food labels (because face it I'm buying some processed foods...) although the "natural" trend is picking up, I've noticed a lot of brands advertising "natural" or "no preservatives" but I still check the label, you'd be surprised what some people consider natural. Do they even regulate that sort of thing?

January 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  3. Snowbunny

Got caramel??

January 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Jerv@snowb

I know, don't all those cut apples look so good?

January 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
      • Snowbunny

Yes, and honeycrisp are thee best!!

January 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  4. Caroline

I am going to try to give up the bad mid-morning and mid afternoon snack (sigh) sometimes they are healthy...an apple here, a bunch of baby carrots there, but sometimes it turns out to be less then stellar choices ie: hersheys kisses, pretzels, that kind of stuff. So good-bye snickers! Hello fruit!

January 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  5. Panda1895

I am resolving to cooking/eating at home more. Thus I will eat less processed foods and (hopefully) better quality foods. The super perk of this is that I will have more money in my wallet from not eating out all the time. Win-Win!

January 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  6. Truth@Jillmarie

In regard to your first thought, have you already gotten your MMJ card?

January 3, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • jillmarie

Hahaha, that's not what I meant! Looking back, I can see why it would be taken that way! I'm actually going to cut back on my vino intake.

January 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  7. Llama Llama Duck

...jumping...

January 3, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  8. jillmarie

My resolution is to engage in more mind-expanding activities, and also to eat less processed food- especially carbs. I started doing this after Thanksgiving and kept it up- even on Christmas! I feel much better already.

January 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • The Witty One

define "mind expanding activites".....do these involve mind expanding substances?

January 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
      • jillmarie

No! I meant reading up on subjects that are interesting- the arts, taking a cooking class, watching more classic movies. Going to cultural events, art galleries, museaums. I did a lot of that in 2010 and loved it. Maybe read some books this year. Just having some fun learning new things, opening my mind, feeding my soul.

January 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  9. amayda

I made a resolution to have more homemade lunches (instead of frozen meals) and train for a marathon. I can't diet, and I love making and eating good food. I can only stay in shape by matching my exercise output with my food input.

January 3, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • Jerv@amayda

Marathon? Really? My hat is off to you. I get winded just taking 4 flights of steps.

January 3, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
      • amayda

Yep, that is the goal this year. Tried it last year and got a stress fracture from over-running my shoes. :) I normally do 3-4 miles 3-4 days a week. Have done as many as 7 miles in one run, but haven't gotten past that point without getting hurt or pregnant. :) At least one of those can't happen anymore, so here's hoping for a successful 2011 marathon this October. ;)

January 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
      • Jerv@amayda

Fantastic, all the luck in the world to ya.

January 3, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  10. The Witty One

And I made a resolution to fail miserably at my resolutions. It's a win win situation.

January 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Llama Llama Duck

You...you are one smart fella...

Note to self: make Witty One senior advisor once I'm finally made Supreme Ruler of the Planet Formerly Known as Earth.

January 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
      • The Witty One

Can I be Senor Advisor-o instead?

And how long until The Planet Formerly Known as Earth change to a symbol? Fitting all that on your letterhead might be tough.

January 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
      • Llama Llama Duck

We don't use paper on The Planet Formerly Known as Earth. Tin cans and string, light-saber morse code...and for good measure, I bought the old Batman signal light on e-Bay over Thanksgiving. You know, for emergency situations. I'm not sure what the big bat will symbolize, but I'm leaning towards "Chuck Norris says smile". Whadda ya think?

January 3, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
      • The Witty One

I like the Chuck Norris idea. I can probably tweak the bat symbol a bit.

Wait a minute....if thereisn't any paper, how can we make spitballs?

January 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
      • Jerv

...and if no paper, how will Sir Elton Johns arse assistant perform his job and maintain job security...

January 3, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Llama Llama Duck

...and pick-up milk...

January 3, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
  11. Llama Llama Duck

I made a resolution...to stop making resolutions.

January 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • Tyler

How original. I've only heard that 10 times this year, rather than the usual 20+ times.

January 3, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
      • Llama Llama Duck

Clever and scathing retort, Tyler. I'm wounded. Deeply.

January 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
      • Llama Llama Duck

...tying noose around neck...

January 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
      • Llama Llama Duck

...walking to edge of building...

January 3, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
      • Jerv@LLD

LMAO! So out of the blue here comes ol' Tyler with his two cents worth. What do some of these people do, scan the comments section just to make irrelevant comments? Thanks for your insight and wit, Tyler.

January 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
      • Llama Llama Duck

...probably would have worked better if roof was more than three feet above upper level of parking garage. Looks like Tyler was right–I'm too stoopid to do anything right...

January 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
      • Tyler

I made a reply of my own, and usually make 2 or 3 per week.

I was just waiting for the first anti-resolution person to speak because I thought of this retort a few days ago but have had no one to say it to. (yes, it was a George Kastanza "jerk store" like comment... and if you have no idea of the Sienfeld episode I'm referring to, shame on you!)

January 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  12. Tyler

My New Year's resolution is to bring my lunch to work more, rather than going out for lunch almost every day. This will result in less calories being consumed, healthier lunches, and about $1,000 extra in my wallet by the end of the year.

January 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
  13. J.B.Jingles

I have several off the list, less meat (does not mean no meat!), more local veggies from the farmer's market, and less processed food (less/no frozen meals). Meatless Monday today, so I will have farfalle pasta with artichoke pesto for dinner.

January 3, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • jillmarie

Your pasta dish sounds delicious! I have those ingredients on hand- maybe I'll make a similar dinner!

January 3, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
  14. Evil Grin

I don't really do new years resolutions, but I have been vowing to stop eating out/easy processed foods for awhile. Now's as good a time to make the attempt as any. I'm not planning on changing my meat or vegetable consumption any, though. The way of the vegan is not for me.

January 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,389 other followers