Lunchtime poll – tipsy does it
December 31st, 2010

We're well aware that y'all don't mind a tipple. Nearly 30,000 of you responded to a poll we posted waaaaayyy back in July of this year asking, "Do you drink alcohol? Not how frequently, why or any of that. Do you or don't you?"

The results:

Yes 85.86%
No 7.89%
I used to, but I don't now. 6.24%

We also know that if you were gonna overindulge, right about now would be the time. The question was "Do you drink more during the holidays?"

You said:

Yes! 'Tis the season to score every free office party and holiday gathering drink I can! It's fun. 22.59%

I up my intake to deal with holiday or family stress. 10.28%

I may indulge a bit more than usual, but that's just because there are so many parties. 31.54%

I'm pretty steady throughout the season – but plan on at least one hangover, probably New Year's Day. 9.37%

My intake doesn't really vary. 15.33%

I may even drink less - too much stuff to do. 3.06%

I probably drink less, but only because I'm around people who don't imbibe. 1.07%

So let's finish out the year with a big ol' bang...

Should your guests choose to overindulge, our readers have a few notions about how to get 'em home and if you do - here's how to make it a tad less ouchy.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Hangovers • Holidays • HolidayShopping • Lunchtime Poll • New Year's • Sip

« Previous entry
  1. zoltanwelvart

Malnutrition causes depression, that causes addiction, of weaklings, can maintain things with your dollars.bunch of loosers.putting the cart before the horse.making a hell for the whales. Your all made of biosolids.

April 28, 2014 at 11:30 am | Reply
  2. SAM

WHy dont you tell everyone where the DEALS on FREE SHOTS and Mugs are Too,To encourage them to become a DANGER TO ALL OF SOCIETY with their DRUNK BODIES ?

January 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  3. Shaun

You should have cooked dinner naked now that's a party.

January 3, 2011 at 11:30 am | Reply
  4. soleada

Definitely had a great night, but it was just my boyfriend & me.. Instead of going out, we had our own party @ home. I got dolled up & cooked dinner & we drank champagne & whisky! Better to be safe than sorry!

January 3, 2011 at 12:29 am | Reply
  5. cy

Other – I haven't stopped drinking since last NYE

January 2, 2011 at 10:46 am | Reply
  6. kathy

Stay home and party and have everyone sleep over a have breakfast together

January 2, 2011 at 8:40 am | Reply
  7. Labknits

This year, as in every year, I will be the designated driver. I have only had alcohol once on New Year's Eve in my 35 years on this planet and that was for the millenium. I was on the beach in Australia and wasn't about to drive any where. I drove around all night long safely and prevented my friends from getting a DUI or an accident or something worse. I am happy to do it and not just on New Year's Eve. I hope everyone is safe every day when they drink! Please don't drive if you are drinking!! Happy New Year!!!

January 2, 2011 at 8:35 am | Reply
  8. Carl

Staying home. I'm a professional drinker, and NYE is amateur night.

January 1, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Reply
  9. MN in GA

Just us and the kids this year, still made "party food" to get us in the New Years mood, and sat safely at the bar in our man cave to imbibe. No driving, lots of laughs, and lots of beer! Happy New Year!

January 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Reply
  10. ann

Had to be at work at 7:30 this morning so it was an early night for me - not that I'm into all the loud party nonsense anyway. Had some wine with dinner, bed by 10. Gotta laugh at some of the nauseated looks on my coworkers' faces this morning, though! It's not worth it to me. I enjoy drinking, but not being drunk.

January 1, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Reply
  11. Mel

I'm in the "not drinking – not anymore" category, so you can imagine why New Year's Eve isn't my favorite event. There were plenty of past new year's that I don't remember anything about. It's much better to spend a quiet night at home watching the ball drop. No danger there with the drunk drivers, and much better for your soul not to get wasted. More importantly, it gives some time for reflection and prayer for the new year. Have a great 2011!

January 1, 2011 at 10:53 am | Reply
    • Dave

Much agreed! Have a great year.

January 3, 2011 at 1:54 am | Reply
  12. Goofy

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Hic.

January 1, 2011 at 5:43 am | Reply
  13. Thatguy371

Haven't done a New Years Eve party in probably 5 years. So I guess I'm turning into a boring old geez.... but just think how much cashish I save by not buying beer all the time, and not paying lawyers to get me outta a DUI. Life is grand.

January 1, 2011 at 5:22 am | Reply
  14. Zach

Didn't drink tonight because I was serving food and drink to all the drunks at the restaurant. Don't forget that not everybody has the night off.

January 1, 2011 at 5:19 am | Reply
  15. joe

I don't know...

January 1, 2011 at 4:32 am | Reply
  16. sheilatrake

"Printapons" is a deal-of-the-day website that is localized if a certain number of people sign up for the offer, then the deal becomes available to all; if the predetermined minimum is not met, no one gets the deal that day.

January 1, 2011 at 4:28 am | Reply
  17. tiny

No drinks for me, I'm a workin man.... midnight to 9:00am anyone reading this now have a shot for me

January 1, 2011 at 2:49 am | Reply
  18. Anon

Im just gonna smoke a lot...bring in '11 in the clouds

January 1, 2011 at 1:56 am | Reply
  19. Jill

I'm on some pretty serious antibiotics for the most horrifically painful sinus infection I've ever had. So sadly, no drinking for me. Just trying to get better.

January 1, 2011 at 1:36 am | Reply
  20. tbird

The kids are sleeping now but earlier we danced to Justin Bieber and had a special dessert. Then a serious game of Operation – off to bed with the kiddos and hubbie and I stayed up to watch a movie on Netflix. A few glasses of wine. I grew up with parents who could not fathom not drinking until intoxicated on New Years Eve, and it hasn't done either of them much good. Call me prudish, but I've never had a fascinating conversation, a moment of great insight or really good sex when I was drunk. I think being drunk is best if you have a lot of problems or emptiness that you're trying to distract yourself about. Or you just do what everyone else does. Just sayin.

January 1, 2011 at 12:14 am | Reply
    • Goofy

You are boring. Just reading that almost put me to sleep.

January 1, 2011 at 5:46 am | Reply
  21. F*@#kYeah

ima be high as hell, no drinking for me

December 31, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Reply
  22. saftgek

Only an undeveloped (say 'juvenile') mind makes a decision to become intoxicated. First of all, if one needs alcohol to "have a good time" or "have fun," one needs to look seriously at their lifestyle. Should one CHOOSE to use alcoholic beverages, one need remember that – in most adults – the liver can process the equivalent of one drink per hour. With this in mind, one can reasonably imbibe at this rate and have no difficulty.

New Year's Eve is a night for irresponsible amateurs, as is St. Patrick's Day, et al. Mature, responsible adults recognize intoxication as loss of control – a signal of alcoholism. Sad so many people look upon drunkenness as mature, adult, ad nauseum. It is none of these!

December 31, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Reply
  23. shit face fuck bitch

Piss off you shit faced slut.

December 31, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Reply
  24. Squishy's Mom

Breastfeeding =)

December 31, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Reply
    • Squishy's Mom

((therefore, not drinking this year))

December 31, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Reply
  25. mac316

15 mph

December 31, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  26. mac316

havent had a hangover in 24years abd remember every new years coming in for the past 24yrs. had a lot of fun out there in my younger days so much fun it made me sick but I am better now!!!!! PARTY HARDY but be safe the life you save may be yours dont drink &drive nor smoke weed and drive you only drive 15 mpr when youre high thinking you are going 80 been there done that got the key tag

December 31, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Reply
    • Goofy

Party hardy? I like to have an erection as much as the next guy, but I prefer to party hearty. Then, if I find a willing female, and the little man still can stand up, I'll party hardly.

January 1, 2011 at 5:48 am | Reply
  27. Get r and do her

Anya, yer a stupid bitch. The only good woman is a silent woman. Who gave you an idea or allowed you to speak? Someone please find her husband and slap him so he can pass the message to her later tonight. Happy new year bitches.

December 31, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  28. em

baby on board, no drinking for me!

December 31, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Reply
  29. Billy Madison

I'm going to slip myself a rouphy and call it a night....

December 31, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Reply
  30. Chris

Probably just raid someone's medicine cabinet and try to almost Heath Ledger myself into the New Year.

December 31, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Reply
  31. me

Thank you eli!!!! You r a hero and keithin Canada you r a tard. Becuz you ppl like eli we have immense freedoms. Sorry but stupid comments like keiths just make me angry. And no drinks for me....stupid stomach flu.

December 31, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Reply
  32. Anya

My husband and I do not dink out of solidarity for the human race. Each dollar spent towards 'feeling silly' is a dollar that could be used to better humanity and feed a starving human.

December 31, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Reply
    • Huh??

Great ideas are born when people are feeling "silly".

January 1, 2011 at 2:30 am | Reply
    • Goofy

Tbat is the biggest load of pretetious crap I've ever read.

January 1, 2011 at 5:51 am | Reply
  33. Papi

GET R DONE

December 31, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Reply
  34. Get r and do her

I'm off to get some bitch drunk and then get her prego. She'll start the new year off just right, with a surprise.

December 31, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  35. All Ready there

I cant believe you guys havent already started. Me and my friends are already half wya wasted. We are hoping to make it to midnight. All you non drinking PC sheep can go to bed and let the world have fun without you.

December 31, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Reply
  36. Bryan

Not drinking at all. I'll be working and dealing with all the drunks, party complaints, fights, and m/v crashes because people don't know how their limits. I'm expecting the calls to start as soon as I go on duty and not to stop until at least 0500.

December 31, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Reply
    • Dave

And people wonder why prohibition was ever tried. Alcohol brings out the idiot in people.

January 3, 2011 at 1:56 am | Reply
  37. Good Times

Find any ol bitch to sling around tonight, tell everyone that the whore house was all tapped out and this is all they had left but shes quick and cheap. After you've had your fun, tell some other drunk fucker that you'll take 20 bucks for her and tell him she's real easy. The funny part will be when he tries to make his first move and when she finds out what he paid for her. Let the games begin.

December 31, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Reply
  38. Joe

I voted other... I'm kinda sick so i'll probubly try to have like a beer or two but the though of that doesnt sound good. Its one of those throat things so shots are out of the question anyways, the only way I can officially feel drunk lol. Plus I don't turn 21 till March and I really dont feel like playing the same old 'enter the bar illegaly' game that I've been playing for the past four or so years (Still haven't memorized the zip code on the fake ID i bought up in Toronto, and I think it says I'm like 25 now).

No I'll probubly just smoke a joint or something.

December 31, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Reply
    • Steak Knife

A nice cold beer always helps my sore throats....

December 31, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  39. sukmeleftone

Driving on the sidewalk is much more fun after you toss back a few. Remember, no harm, no foul and besides, it's only once a year that you get to have this kind of fun. I encourage everyone to get a little crazy.

December 31, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Reply
  40. JustinCase

I know it is not a popular choice but here's to truth. I plan on drinking and driving tonight. Party on

December 31, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Reply