It's a bird! It's a plane! It's super strawberries!
December 27th, 2010

Strawberries and chocolate go all too well together in fondue, cakes, and any other dessert you can imagine. Now, scientists are learning more than ever about the genetic makeup of both of these foods, and that knowledge could lead to genetically modified versions that are more nutritious and easier to grow.

The journal Nature Genetics is publishing studies about the genomes of each of these foods. Each of the studies is led by a different international team of researchers, and has received a mixture of academic, U.S. government and industry funding (strawberry industry groups contributed to research on that fruit, and Hershey Corp. helped fund the cocoa study).

By sequencing the strawberry genome, scientists can learn about how the fruits could be bio-engineered to be bigger, better-tasting, and more resistant to disease, said Kevin Folta, University of Florida researcher who collaborated on the study of the woodland strawberry. Folta estimates that it will be another 5 to 10 years before strawberries genetically modified for these qualities hit the market.

Read the rest of "What's inside chocolate, strawberries" on CNN Health

Posted by:
Filed under: Health News • News

1. RichardHead

I like cherries-especially in a PIE!

December 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I could eat two cherry pies before I eat two cherry pies, then I eat two more.

December 27, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead

I like it when they are shaped like Tacos! Makes it "Finger Lickin' Good"!

December 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Guess how many cherry pies I saw this holiday season?

Zero

What's this world coming to? I'm going to have to take things into my own hands here.

December 27, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead@Jdizz

This is a Travesty! As a Gyno-I must Concur! We like working with our hands!

December 27, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Don't ruin it, Head.

X)

December 27, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  2. Evil Grin

Super strawberries, here to save the day. I hope that if they do this, it will focus most on better taste. Already the larger, cheaper strawberries usually have the least taste. I'd rather have the small locally farmed strawberries exploding with flavor myself.

Now if they could engineer a breed of strawberry that grew with a chocolate center, I'd definitely go for that.

December 27, 2010 at 11:17 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I was thinking that earlier. For me the best tasting strawberries have been the smaller, brightest ones.

December 27, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Reply
  3. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Chocolate and Nurses go well together, too.

December 27, 2010 at 10:40 am | Reply