December 14th, 2010

It's not all Raki and Rize tea; today Turkey is producing over 350 different kinds of wine. Zain Verjee reports.

Read i-List Turkey

Posted by:
Filed under: Sip • Video • Wine

1. Karl Wilder

I spend Ramadan in Istanbul and many Muslim families break fast with a meal that includes wine. While they might not drink it in public so as not to cause offense there are Muslims who drink in private.

July 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Reply
  2. Dave@truth

oops, off topic, I'll go back to klatsch.

December 14, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Reply
  3. Dave@truth

Should have been there in the 80's before the techies discovered it. use to be only a few hundred thousand, now it's millions, mostly from CA. Gotta say, though, I LOVE the winter here in OKC.

December 14, 2010 at 11:59 am | Reply
  4. Truth@Dave

Been in DEN since 1994. Moved here for my then-job with IBM. Love it here. The only things I miss from NY is foliage in the month of October, and access to Manhattan at any time. Denver is great though..a big city that feels like a small town. Best of both worlds really.

December 14, 2010 at 11:53 am | Reply
  5. Dave@truth

You from Denver? I lived there for 38 years, had to move to OK, miss Denver, No good places to try wine in OKC.

December 14, 2010 at 11:48 am | Reply
  6. Truth

This reminds me of a great story...
    Denver has a networking group for women called "Women Who Wine"...basically a group meets once a month to talk and network over wine and hor'doeuvres. It is pretty well known in Denver.

Once, several years ago, I had a blind date who turned out to be a member. She asked me "Do you know 'Women Who Wine"?...without missing a step, I said "Is there another kind?"...Never saw her again, but I didn't mind. There's a line for folks who can't take a joke...:)

December 14, 2010 at 10:49 am | Reply
  7. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Isn't Turkey an Islamic country? Soemone fill me in on Islam and alcohol consumption rules. I know It's banned in Saudi.

December 14, 2010 at 9:48 am | Reply
    • Mert

Turkey is a Muslim-majority country like America is a Christian-majority country. But its constitution and laws are strictly secular.

December 14, 2010 at 10:09 am | Reply
    • Jerv@Jdizz

"There is no restriction on the sale and use of Alcohol in Turkey. The famous local anis drink "Rakı" is widely consumed in Turkey."

Once worked with a woman from Turkey, muslim and drank me under the table.

December 14, 2010 at 10:11 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

A few of my Air Force buddies were stationed there. Apparently, Jack Daniels is like gold over there.

December 14, 2010 at 11:47 am | Reply
  8. Jerv

Oh look, another wine report to tempt the vapor troll. I bet he is just the Timmy\Tommy Troll in disquise. Here, trollie trollie trollie.

December 14, 2010 at 9:44 am | Reply