A Loko-vore dinner party
December 14th, 2010

Philadelphians are loco for Four Loko. And at Adsum Restaurant, it was standing room only — just to get a taste.

On Monday, chef and owner Matt Levin put his culinary skills to the test with a food pairing extravaganza featuring the "blackout-in-a-can," Four Loko.

The $35, three-course dinner started with two seatings, but quickly grew to four. All were sold out.

“I kind of put it up on Twitter as a joke a few weeks ago and within about 3 minutes I had 40 people that said they were in, and at that point we had to do it,” said Levin, who opened Adsum, Latin for “I am present,” in July. The cozy eatery is located in the Queen Village section of South Philly with a menu full of refined comfort food like macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, burgers and duck fat fries.

“It's foods I’d want to eat every night after work,” he said.

The evening’s menu included fried chicken, homemade lamb sausage and fried French toast paired with a slushy Four Loko play on sorbet.

“We do serious food, and I wasn’t gonna change what I do just because we’re doing something a little bit more low-brow,” he said. “I’ve always been somebody that’s taken interesting and weird ingredients, whether its Pop Rocks and now Four Loko, and turned it into something fantastic.”

Levin began stockpiling Loko after he heard the concoction came under fire from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Phusion Projects of Chicago, the maker of Four Loko, has ceased producing caffeinated alcoholic drinks, and expects to have all of its caffeinated alcoholic beverages off retail store shelves by Dec. 13.

Levin’s verdict on Four Loko: “It’s an acquired taste, let’s just say that.”

Previously - "Livin' la vida Four Loko" and "Companies stop shipping 7 caffeine-alcohol drinks"

Posted by:
Filed under: Beer • Bite • FDA • Food Politics • Restaurants • Sip

1. J~

I'm planning to put together a 2011 Four Loko Party for 125 Four Loko Connoisseurs in Houston.
    I currently have 12 cases of Four Loko stockpiled for this event which will be given to my guests. I would like to invite the cook!

December 18, 2010 at 3:06 am | Reply
  2. Jerv

Man, what is that giant blue beverage?

December 15, 2010 at 10:11 am | Reply
  3. Ashley

I also agree it's stupid that they are banning this drink. Restaurants and Bars sell redbull with other alcohols. There are worse things in this country that are LEGAL that pose more of a risk or the same than this drink. Punish the minors who buy it and the people who sell it to minors. Why punish people who drink it responsibly? Alcohol in general poses a health risk? So does soda or drinking too much water... Exaggerated.. yes... but it's true. Cigarettes are a health risk so is medication if someone takes too much of it. But they ban this?

December 14, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Reply
  4. Jeff

It was pretty stupid of them to ban four loko, I can still make my own with red bull and vodka. I can make it as POWERFUL AS I WANT. MUA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And I stashed away a bunch of Joose, which is the superior product.

December 14, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Reply
  5. sarah

There sure is a lot of hate on here for a city of brotherly love. Haters!

December 14, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Reply
  6. KnuckleHead

Want the insider scoop?!!

December 14, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Reply
    • Lila King

No we don't. Thanks though.

December 14, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Reply
  7. Truth

Don't wanna hit that...

December 14, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  8. John

What a shock that the citizens of Philadelphia like Loko and duck fat fries. What a collection of morons. But it is good they are all in one place. The rest of us can give them a wide berth.

December 14, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Reply
    • Cole

Duck fat fries actually sounds pretty good. It'd add a nice touch of gamey taste to the otherwise dull potato. Sure, it limits what it pairs with, but adding flavor to something dull is a good thing.

December 14, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Reply
    • MrsFizzy

Oh no doubt about it duck fat fries would be awesome, but why spoil it by drinking that crap with it – it tastes like candy with a bitter aftertaste. :P

December 14, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  9. Antwan C.

follow Brian's blog at @TheSkinnyFatKid

December 14, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Reply
  10. Andrew

big shocker this is happening in philtadelphia

December 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Reply
    • Tim

At least we got Cliff Lee!

December 14, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Reply
      • Lila King

Damn! I from Texas but I can appreciate that humor!

December 14, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Reply
      • Lila King

Oh and at least the Yankees didn't get him!

December 14, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Reply
      • lorenzo

i'm from Texas also. As much as i hate to see him go, philly is much better ny!

December 14, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Reply
  11. James

That stuff is garbage. Tastes like gasoline..

December 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Reply
    • Mr T

yeah but gasoline doesn't get you as drunk

December 14, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Reply
  12. herp derp

I wish I knew about this! Adsum is about a 10 minute walk from my apt. Good place!

December 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Reply
    • Rodin

I realy enjoy how people can get so creative with ingredients.. My husband loves to watch the food network and see all the creativity.. but he doesn't know how to cook a dang thing. so this xmas I am going to change that.. I got him this hilarious politically incorrect beginners cookbook for his stocking stuffer.. it's called.. well I won't tell you the name of it here cause some of you will freak out on me.. but if you google "whipped and beaten culinary works" you can find it.. but seriously.. don't go if you can't take a good joke or if you get offended easily.. this is going to be PERFECT for him.. can't wait to see his face

December 14, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Reply
      • Lila King

Okay weird. Thanks for that bizarre rant about your husband.

December 14, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Reply
      • slupdawg

She's trying to hawk some book she obviously has a vested interest in. She said the same thing on another food bulletin board.

December 14, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Reply