Lunchtime poll - recipe for relaxation
December 10th, 2010

Shhhh! Don’t bust my to my bosses. I’m supposed to be taking a day off, but I’m incredibly bad at relaxing. Or perhaps it’s that I just relax in particularly active ways.

F’rinstance, I’m about to haul my cookies on down to the supermarket and pick of the makings for a few big food projects - possibly jarring some pork rillettes, baking up some some fruitcake (What? It kicks booty when it’s done right.), maybe even some, you know, actual cookies. These are all great giveaways - somewhat labor-intensive, but I revel in the acts of cooking. I sink into the chopping, kneading, stirring and drown in the heady, homey smells the kitchen and when it’s all done - I have food to share.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Cooking • Lunchtime Poll • Make

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. sarah

I like cooking as a way to relax, just as long as someone else cleans up the mess!

December 13, 2010 at 7:58 am | Reply
  2. Ann

Help! I love to bake, but then I always end up feeling guilty about feeding my family fattening food. Anybody out there know of something healthy that will fill the house with the wonderful aroma of baked goods?

December 13, 2010 at 7:38 am | Reply
  3. HappyCamper

I teach, and I usually don't know the results of what I do in the classroom until much later, if ever. There's something very satisfying about putting a meal on the table for my family and friends. I like doing something I truly enjoy especially when I can see the end result shortly thereafter. Fortunately, people seem to like what I prepare; I assume they're telling the truth since there are rarely many leftovers–the best compliment I think a cook can receive.

December 13, 2010 at 2:29 am | Reply
  4. bernie robinson

I have always cooked when I am stressed. I have often wished I was the clean when stressed type because that is cheaper and productive. The problem is that I rarely feel like eating after cooking. Not a baker-too precise and I like to just add things that seem to fit

December 13, 2010 at 12:55 am | Reply
  5. Joy

I love to bake but unfortunately I also like to eat everything I bake.

December 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Reply
    • Anon_e_mouse

That can be a bad habit. I don't dare leave goodies around the house when my wife is home, since she has to be very, very careful about her sugar intake; that's why I do most of my baking for the Lodge, and I send any leftovers home with the brethren. What's really nice is when their wife or daughter will have some and ask for the recipe... I wasn't even home from our regular meeting earlier this past week when my cell phone rang with just such a request!

December 12, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Reply
  6. T3chsupport

Cooking is fun, but it's really great when I get to cook with my husband (which is almost always!). We have so much fun in the kitchen, dinner gets done twice as fast, and it's so much more satisfying to eat what we've made together.

December 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  7. ed dugan

My wife and I have been married for 37 years and she has never cooked a single meal. She makes other contributions to our marriage. Am I relaxed? You bet!

December 12, 2010 at 10:52 am | Reply
  8. David

Cooking is good for the soul and everyone else fortunate enough to be around the kitchen. I make a very simple stove top type dish for my daughter and just the act of mincing garlic releases a lot of stress and I know she will have eaten at least one thing healthy that day!!

December 12, 2010 at 7:18 am | Reply
  9. J

bake to relax but not cook like a meal, make cookies or cakes, its a good escape, and if I am baking everyone stays out of the kitchen, so there is a nice quiet time

December 12, 2010 at 4:50 am | Reply
  10. Ressie

I thought I was the only person to use cooking as a method of relaxation and stress release. Even though cooking can be tiring its something about seeing people enjoy the food (me also) makes it all seem worth it. While I'm cooking the tension and stress seems to leave my body

December 12, 2010 at 4:30 am | Reply
  11. InkyDink

Nope–cooking is just another form of housework to me–about as relaxing as cleaning the bathroom or doing laundry. EATING certain comfort food dishes–creamed tuna on mashed potatoes, say–can relax me. And reading cookbooks, or cooking mags does relax me, but actually doing it–just another household chore to get done. Gardening does it for me. And for some reason, mending clothes by hand is also soothing, usually.

December 12, 2010 at 3:53 am | Reply
  12. slinky

i have a long commute for work all week and it's very aggravating. between satellite radio and cooking, i can relax on the weekends. i often show up at work on mondays with the fruits of my weekend labor and the co-workers don't complain.

December 11, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Reply
  13. woodekc

I cook 3 times during the week for dinner and cook every Saturday night.

I also cook almost 90% of my Sundays, not only because I enjoy cooking while sports are on, but also to make the lunches I take to work for the week ahead.

Being single allows me to cook exactly what I want/ like, and I'm luckily never forced to cook, (unless I take something out of the freezer and HAVE to cook it THAT night so it doesnt go bad).

I actually got to cook while on vacation in Manhattan last Oct, and LOVED it!!!!

December 11, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Reply
  14. avielayne

My BF and I both love to cook for relaxation. We do it together every weekend and even enjoy the clean up. We search out new and interesting recipes to try from French, Italian, German, Greek and Chinese in addition to our own creations.

December 11, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Reply
  15. eldorado

I love to cook, but I am not good at it. So it tends to be more stressful than relaxing for me. I relax by watching my husband, the Chef, cook. I pick the bottle of wine and enjoy the aromas and the way he moves around the kitchen. I can bake though and I absolutely love that. It's an instant gratification when you finish baking and everything has turned out fabulous!

December 11, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  16. guestwhat

Cooking is fun on weekends or after a mild work day–can't stand to be near a stove or oven after a hectic work day or if tired.
    Sometimes it's just a creative challenge to come up with a good meal based on food past its peak befor it turns into a refrigerator experiment–so in the interest of being frugal I do rise up to cooking on those occassions regardless of what the day is like.

December 11, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  17. Anon_e_mouse

I'm reading this while taking a brief break from active cooking... there are flank steaks marinating, the vegetables that I can peel and chop ahead of time are back in the fridge until I need them later, the potatoes are washed, the onions and red peppers diced, the cheese (for the potato cheese soup) is grated, and the chocolate pies that I made at midnight last night lurk at the back of the refrigerator, awaiting their layer of whipped cream. 50 people expected at the Lodge installation dinner tonight... as soon as my helper arrives (with 150 homemade rolls ready for baking) we'll move into high gear and get busy!

December 11, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Reply
  18. ohsnap

I love to cook. All my cooking is done right from scratch. It is relaxing and rewarding. This year I have delved into baking desserts like pies and cookies with much success. All the scary things I heard about, for example...pie crusts are difficult...have not proven to be true. I bake all my own bread (by hand, no machine). It's cost effective, tastes better. Nothing like homemade!

December 11, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Reply