Next year, Baltimore will lose an institution.
The owners of one of the city’s most famous crab houses have announced that next season will be the last at their downtown location. According to their website, Obrycki’s has been doling out steamed crab goodness since 1944 when Melvin Alexander and his brothers-in-law, Mitch, Joe, and Eddie Obrycki, expanded their bar at 1729 East Pratt Street in the Baltimore neighborhood of Fells Point into a restaurant. Soon, Obrycki’s became one of the premiere locations to grab a mallet, throw on a paper bib and dig into a mound of Maryland blue crabs.
Current owner Rob Cernak told local Baltimore TV station WMAR the family made the decision to shut its doors next year after the passing of matriarch Rose Cernak this past September.
Obrycki’s will reopen for business on March 15, 2011 and then close for good in November 2011. The restaurant also has locations at BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport and Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.
Love lake trout? Bonkers for Natty Boh? Share your love of Charm City's food in the comments below.
« Previous entryLunchtime poll – hungry at the holidays