Chilled out & cheery - peppermint bark
December 6th, 2010

As the last of the stale Halloween candy is shoved to the back of store shelves, an avalanche of red, green and white tumbles into the aisle.

The coming of the first seasonal candy cane means one thing to us: peppermint bark.

Whether you forgot to get admin Alex a gift, need nibbles for visiting wassailers or simply hankering for something spirited and sweet to munch on during the sixteenth hour of the "A Christmas Story" marathon - the solution is just 45 minutes and two ingredients away.

And the good news is it's within elves' strict dietary regimen of candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.

Package it up in a decorative cookie tin or a clear, plastic bag with a festive red ribbon - no gift receipt required.

Peppermint Bark

6-8 regular-sized candy canes
1 pound white chocolate (we use the Lindt brand)

Line a large baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Place candy canes in a plastic bag and gently crush - set aside.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can use the microwave or set a stainless steel bowl over a pot of simmering water.

Stir three-quarters of the candy cane chunks into the melted chocolate. Pour and spread mixture to 1/4-inch thickness onto the prepared baking sheet, and sprinkle with the remaining candy cane pieces. Place in the refrigerator to firm – about 30 to 45 minutes.

Break into jagged pieces and serve.

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Truth@RichHead

Actually my bride works until 7 or so our time, so I like to try to have dinner in the works when she walks in. I have learned that the smell of dinner in the works can be a great aphrodesiac...

December 6, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  2. RichardHead@Truth

I believe your bride can help with any spills that may occur. Have a great evening and I'll be in and out tomorrow.

December 6, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  3. Truth@RichHead, Kat, SLT

Ok, you've inpired me...Given that I will have an hour to kill before MNF comes on after I get home, I am going to try the homemade peppermint bark. Will let y'all know how it goes in the manana. In the worst case, I have a white chocolate slopover to finish and how bad can that be...?

December 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  4. Jerv

For the best bark chocolate candy ever, and other stuff, try Charlie's Carmel Corn & Candy in Vincennes IN. They are old school and take orders only by phone (812) 882-8008.

December 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  5. HarleyDavidsonGirl

With dark chocolate, you also get lower carbs. For those who are diabetic, like myself, the darker the chocolate the lower the carbs in most cases. It also depends on the brand.

–HarleyDavidsonGirl

December 6, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
    • RichardHead

Pan Head or Knuckle Head?

December 6, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  6. Kimmie

I do mine slightly differently.... first you melt and pour a layer of milk chocolate. While it's still warm, pour the white chocolate/candy cane mixture over it. Makes it 10x better! Just have to be sure the milk chocolate layer is still hot/warm or they won't fuse together correctly. Also.... I recommend keeping the total thickness pretty thin or it makes it hard to break into pieces.

December 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
  7. Katie

I love peppermint bark, but it has so many calories. Is there any way to make it healthier without compromising taste?

December 6, 2010 at 10:38 am |
    • Sarah LeTrent

Unfortunately with white chocolate and candy canes, there's really not a lower calorie option available. The beauty of breaking up the pieces is you can control the portion. As always, moderation is key! If you're still weary, you could always sub the white chocolate for dark chocolate - that way, at least you're getting some antioxidants in the process.

December 6, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  8. Truth@All

I used to live with a gal who worked at Williams-Sonoma, and she swore that if I ever made or gave her peppermint bark, she would hunt me down. I am still a sucker for the stuff though. Used to keep a stash at my office. Though as far as I am concerned, you could pour white chocolate over a brick and it would be delish.

December 6, 2010 at 10:22 am |
  9. RichardHead

We don't allow wassallers here in Texas,only Wrastlers! Sounds pretty good and easy to make.

December 6, 2010 at 10:18 am |
    • Kristen

We don't allow them here in IL either. I like carolers (especially if they are Scouts) but I prefer people to drink wassail to stay over since I make mine strong and hot!!

December 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
    • AuroraDawn

Howdy, how was your day??

December 6, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
      • RichardHead

Plz go to Coffee Kjatch and I'll show you around.

December 6, 2010 at 6:21 pm |