Fame Bites - NeNe Leakes
December 3rd, 2010

Fame Bites goes inside the belly of the entertainment beast. We're dishing out where the celebrities are eating, what they're eating and who they're eating with.

NeNe Leakes is one of the stars of Bravo's "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" and author of Never Make the Same Mistake Twice: Lessons on Love and Life Learned the Hard Way.

While it's easy to get caught up in all the hair pulling and which housewife isn't talking to the other one, we want to know the important things, like what they're eating.

Turns out, the charmingly outspoken housewife likes her snacks salty, her wine sweet, and will make a beeline for the cheese tray at any social affair.

How was your Thanksgiving?
"It was great, but a bit different. I went to my aunt’s house in Athens the day before Thanksgiving. She is eighty-one years old, and I took all of my family members out to dinner the day before. On Thanksgiving, my girl friends came over and we put up Christmas decorations and had cocktails - it was really nice.

I put up my tree every Thanksgiving, and for dinner I cooked homemade macaroni and cheese, rice, my aunt’s dressing recipe from scratch, BBQ ribs, a turkey breast from HoneyBaked ham, cakes from Neiman Marcus, green beans and collard greens.

Everyone wants certain items made from scratch like collard greens. But there are other items that you really can purchase in advance for the holidays. I know how to cook, but I’m not a big cooker - I love the holidays since they are about friends and family."

What is your favorite restaurant in Atlanta?

"One of my favorite restaurants is the Lobster Bar - I like the fried lobster tail for dinner. One of my favorite lunch places is Twist.

We film there a lot on the show and they have great sushi and a great atmosphere. I love great atmospheres - sometimes I will pass on good food for a fun atmosphere. Or a great cocktail! I love to people watch."

“The Housewives” drink a lot of wine on the show – what is your signature drink?

"You know we aren’t always drinking. We just be holding the glass sometimes! I’m a big white wine drinker. I love Riesling, sweet wines - I’m not a Chardonnay or Zinfandel or Pinot girl, but I love those sweet grapes. And for champagne, I drink Moët & Chandon Rosé - the blush."

What is one food you can’t do a day without eating?

"I eat a lot of potato chips - I’m a salt girl. I’m not a chocolate or cake person, but I am definitely a potato chip and peanuts girl."

What food or drink will make sure you aren’t "tardy for the party?"

"I’m simple - so if I were coming to your house I would go straight for the cheese and crackers. I am a big cheese connoisseur. I’m a damn rat!

My cocktail is definitely my sweet white wine. I do like margaritas. Some are tart but I like mine sweet - you can make yours sweeter by adding Grand Marnier. I make a margarita called 'The Miss Thang' with Patrón."

Who is your dream dinner date?

"It's Tyler Perry. I’m very in love with him - I’m his biggest fan. He knows that. I went to his home for a dinner thing and not only did he ask me, he asked all the housewives. I was there with Sheree [Whitfield] and Lisa [Wu Hartwell]. Tyler is super charming and he is very sexy."

What do you think is the most seductive food?

"... I think my freak number is very low and I am sometimes a very shy person. And that whole sexual thing makes me really shy. My freak number is low, child. Some fruit. Or whipped cream. That’s all I know!"

Editors Note: A "freak number" was referred to on the November 28 episode. On a scale from one to ten, it refers to how - um - adventurous one likes to get in the boudoir.

Devna Shukla is an Associate Producer for CNN's AC360°.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Columns • Fame Bites • Real Housewives • Television • Think

1. AuroraDawn

@ TX CHK...LMAO all I can say is..*yawn* When you get some new material let me know.

December 5, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Reply
  2. cynthia isabelle

The only one of them with any substance and humanity is Candy. I wish there were more people like her in this world. I love Candy.

December 3, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Reply
  3. VFGA

Wow...I love how people who take the time to read an article and then examine it for piece by piece talk about how someone is not newsworthy and want to know why this or that is being discussed. Seriously? You're sooo superior-not. Everytime you read this article or one like it, you're contributing to the "celebrity" of these people, like it or not. Try being a woman-or a man, and just admit that you like the show, you watch it as a guilty pleasure. You wouldn't know about it if you didn't. Protesting so vehemently that you hate it while practically writing a research paper on it only makes you appear pathetic.

December 3, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Reply
    • AuroraDawn

I don't watch that crap. This is an open forum for opinion so while I appreciate yours, it doesn't make it right. Also as for pathetic...you're commenting too...

December 3, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Reply
      • Tx Chk

Yes we are "COMMENTIG" not degradig or judging and pretendng like we dont watch the show, but yet know everythig about them- LIKE YOU!!! It comes on tonite... You probably already knew that though

December 5, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Reply
    • Observer

VFGA – Drop dead

December 3, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Reply
    • Jess

PREACH!!!!!!!!!!

December 3, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Reply
  4. AuroraDawn

Who mentioned anything about race except you?

December 3, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Reply
    • Tx Chk

I am referring to the comments: Gr8fuldude@Jerv
      Actually I should have said "We BE laughing at you not with you"...
      And for you to be someone who DOESNT watch the show, you sure know allot about Nene, "Anderson Cooper likes her, shes an ex stripper, she married some rich old guy. Seeing how much time you have to spend on here making comments, maybe you should watch it instead of judging. Better yet GET A LIFE!!!!

December 5, 2010 at 10:16 am | Reply
      • AuroraDawn

LOL If you have some many better things to do than waste your time commenting on here like those of us that need to"get a life" I suggest you go do them because you have nothing to add to the thread other than your inane,remarks because you disagree with me on the topic....may I suggest...YOU GET A LIFE.

December 5, 2010 at 10:25 am | Reply
  5. Tx Chk

Why is it that we speak about black people we always try to turn the words into IGNORANCE? Using slang is not just a black thing, Ive been to Alabama and there are plenty of white people who use these same words, but no one ever refers back to them when talking about white people. If you dont like someone why waste your time to make a comment on their post? If she (NeNe) is a "nobody" to you, use the time of day on your on somebody you find worthy

December 3, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Reply
  6. Child, Please!

We're currently in a culture of cruelty... and Sodom & Gomorrah TV. * Sigh * And the descent continues.....

December 3, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Reply
  7. Bettina

Yes, not really into reality shows, but love the Housewives of Atlanta, they are an interesting group and I love NeNe. She looks great and has a very big personality and tells the truth and we need more people like that in this world. She is more interesting that any actor or actress or late talk show with its boring conversation.(with the exception of G.Lopez)NeNe is charismatic!! Keep on NeNe!

December 3, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Reply
  8. Claudia, Houston, Tx

NeNe didn't have the greatest childhood as many children in the World but she fought against all the odds and you can too.

December 3, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Reply
  9. Davis

I love Nene..she keeps it real. Forgot u haters.

December 3, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Reply
    • Gr8fuldude@Davis

I have news for you, if you think this is "real" you are deluded.

December 3, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Reply
    • Jerv@Davis

Looks like your grammar is as good as hers. Birds of a feather....

December 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  10. AuroraDawn

LMAO Thanks RH!!! LOL@GR8 Ayn Rand...not a name you hear everyday!!!

December 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Reply
    • Gr8fuldude@ADawn

Mrs. Dude and I would rateher raise a Dagny Taggart than a Snow White. A Rosa Parks over a Brittany Spears.

December 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Reply
      • AuroraDawn

From your lips to God's ears! I agree totally!!!

December 3, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Reply
  11. Gr8fuldude@ADawn, RichHead

Actually if you really want to see demeaning behaviour, watch MTV's "16 and Pregnant" almost in every case, the guys turn out to be worthless, the girls deluded and the babies themselves nothing short of at risk. Truly demeaning to women.

I am old enough to remember when the show "Charlie's Angels" premiered and was slammed as chauvanistic, mysogynist, etc. That was freakin "Masterpiece Theatre" compared to what we have today.

December 3, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead

I agree as I remember that Lucy and Desi- could not be shown in bed together. Language on these shows has changed due to George Carlin and the 7 words not said. Guess I'm showing my age a little. .

December 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Reply
      • Gr8fuldude@RichHead

I'm with you. I remember when "Soap" was hailed as the downfall of western civilization.

December 3, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Reply
    • AuroraDawn

LOL I concur! I'm very much....a nerd I suppose by standards today. As I said previously I'm 31 but, I don't Tweet or text, I couldn't tell you about the "in people",I can't name all the Kardashians,I don't care who's wearing what etc. I am a prolific book reader,I cook...and am damn good at it if I say so myself. I have a career which I love, and I am unabashedly ashamed of how women are portrayed in the media. I was taught never to let others determine my self worth. It's a lesson young people aren't getting today with the 'role models" out there.

December 3, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Reply
      • Gr8fuldude@ADawn

Actually I think some of the most sexist films ever made were the old Disney cartoons. Think Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc. If Mrs Dude and I ever have a daughter, she will be read to from Ayn Rand and not Walt Disney.

December 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead

Your a "special" brunette NERD!

December 3, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Reply
  12. AuroraDawn

My whole issue isn't necessarily with this woman alone. It is the entire culture. The voyeuristic nature of it. I don't Tweet,I do have a Blackberry but I have to,it came with my job. I don't own a personal cell phone as...I have no desire for people to be able to reach me 24/7. On these types of shows...what is being learned? What kind of example is being set? Do these programs showcase education or intelligence?? No, they showcase money,sex,boob jobs etc. Not good for the self esteem of young women especially. It also showcases women in a demeaning way to young men. I do hope for a change at some point but...I fear it won't happen any time soon.

December 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead

Winner..+50 points.

December 3, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  13. Gr8fuldude

"You know we aren’t always drinking. We just be holding the glass sometimes!

Just remember darlin, we are laughing at you, not with you.

December 3, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Reply
    • Jerv@Gr8

I know, right? Chick is so full of herself.

December 3, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Reply
      • Gr8fuldude@Jerv

Actually I should have said "We BE laughing at you not with you"...

And it proves something I have long believed...NEVER allow yourself to be photographed holding a glass. Nothing good can come from it.

December 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Reply
      • Jerv@Gr8

"We BE laughing at you not with you". LMFAO over that one!

December 3, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Reply
    • AuroraDawn

UGH....The grammar...don't even get me started. LOL

December 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Reply
    • Jiggered

"We B laughin' atchew na witchew"

December 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  14. Gr8fuldude

There is something sad in our country when fame is attained by releasing a sex tape, doing outrageous things on television or disclosing what should be kept discreet. There is something sadder that when this is brought to light is is called "jealousy" by others. This emperor has no clothes. We are a nation in decline.

December 3, 2010 at 11:54 am | Reply
    • RichardHead

Well said!

December 3, 2010 at 11:56 am | Reply
      • AuroraDawn

I second that RH, that was really well said.

December 3, 2010 at 11:58 am | Reply
      • Jerv

Ditto here.

December 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Reply
    • Gr8fuldudetoo

Yup, the end will come. It will be lightning fast, grand and spectacular.

December 3, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Reply
    • Child, Please!

* Waves church fan * Amen!

December 3, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  15. MD

More dumbing down of America.....

December 3, 2010 at 11:44 am | Reply
  16. RichardHead@AD

Older Dude reminds me of the Immortal words of Willie Nelson on his 75th Birthday-"I have outlived my pecker"!

December 3, 2010 at 11:30 am | Reply
  17. Gingertee

Although I don't think of Nene as a celeb, she is famous. Sorry she did marry an older dude but he is not now nor has he ever been rich.

December 3, 2010 at 11:09 am | Reply
    • Pattie

Seriously – Anderson Cooper said she was his favorite person on TV. Y'all are just jealous.

December 3, 2010 at 11:32 am | Reply
      • AuroraDawn

LOL Yeah that must be it. We're jealous...Whilst I do hang on every word and opinion Anderson Cooper utters, I am capable of original and individual thought. I don't think this woman deserves any print/media of any kind. Not, just her...there are many of them just like her.

December 3, 2010 at 11:40 am | Reply
      • Truth@Pattie

I think all that proves is that Anderson Cooper needs to set his sights a little higher. I would have expected a little more from someone of his alleged position. That said, Edward R. Murrow, he ain't.

December 3, 2010 at 11:42 am | Reply
  18. Wakka Wakka

Well, I certainly hope that this lady sleeps on a tarp, because...

wait for it...

NeNe Leakes!

December 3, 2010 at 11:06 am | Reply
    • 4U Mister

LOL!

December 3, 2010 at 11:10 am | Reply
    • RichardHead

What does she Leake and aren't there any plumbers in Atlanta?

December 3, 2010 at 11:13 am | Reply
    • AuroraDawn

LOL That just struck me really funny. Thanks I needed that!!!

December 3, 2010 at 11:20 am | Reply
      • RichardHead

Your welcome. Have a Great Day!

December 3, 2010 at 11:26 am | Reply
  19. Snowbunny

There is nothing on t.v. anymore except for reality shows and re runs on HBO. :(

December 3, 2010 at 11:04 am | Reply
  20. AuroraDawn

@Truth thank you!!! A voice of reason. I am just so bored of The Housewives,the Kardashians etc,etc famous for absolutely NOTHING! God, there are people out there actually making a difference in the world and THESE morons are who get the stature,admiration and recognition...it's totally skewed.

December 3, 2010 at 10:51 am | Reply
    • Truth@AD

I sound really old by saying this, but back in the day, one usually attained fame by being really smart, really talented or possessing skills in sports, dance, the arts, etc. In the advent of reality television, that bar got lowered significantly (to put it VERY kindly) I really wonder where all of this is going. A good friend of mine thinks the pendulum will swing back to normal, I think it WAY otherwise.

December 3, 2010 at 10:54 am | Reply
      • AuroraDawn

I agree Truth!! I mean you have reality shows where brides to be are fighting over plastic surgery, shows that follow meter maids around, shows about people buying crap outta storage lockers...it has delved into the lowest of the low. I'm not that ancient,I'm 31 and I long for the days of glamour in Hollywood....real glamour not..sex tape induced celebrity. Stars like Liz Taylor,Ava Gardner,Grace Kelly Audrey Hepburn...they were talented,intelligent and worth watching....LOL I sound like an old curmudgeon.

December 3, 2010 at 10:59 am | Reply
    • BradPitt@Angelina

Where did you hide the diapers? These kids are driving me nuts. Note to self-no more late nite chinese food.

December 3, 2010 at 11:03 am | Reply
      • AuroraDawn

LOL Sorry about all the kids,I promise no more!!

December 3, 2010 at 11:15 am | Reply
    • 4U Mister

There is a TON of stuff on TV right now that is geared towards low IQ's, sad. I don't watch a lot of TV, so much of it is bad for a healthy brain. Network TV is the worst.

December 3, 2010 at 11:09 am | Reply
  21. AuroraDawn

LOL No kidding really??? I would probably interview someone with an opinion that is actually worth something...try getting one yourself sometime.

December 3, 2010 at 10:46 am | Reply
    • RichardHead@AD

Good Morning sunshine-Was gonna ask how your feeling but I can see the fire in your eyes.

December 3, 2010 at 10:51 am | Reply
      • AuroraDawn

LOL Mornin' I'm alright. Just really busy,but I did have a good day at the salon yesterday!! LOL Now today...lots of work.

December 3, 2010 at 10:53 am | Reply
  22. AuroraDawn

Hmmm..."Fame Bites"...I guess the term fame is relative. This thing is famous for....??? Oh yes,being a former peeler,and marrying an old rich dude...Yes, that constitutes fame...yet another celebutard.

December 3, 2010 at 10:44 am | Reply
    • Janna

So who would YOU interview? She's on a major TV show on Bravo. More famous than you!

December 3, 2010 at 10:44 am | Reply
      • Truth@Janna, AD

What is this woman famous for? What 'major TV show" is this?
        Or, is she another who is seeking fame for its own sake? Please elaborate Janna...

December 3, 2010 at 10:47 am | Reply
      • Jiggered

Ha! Major TV show. That made me laugh.

December 3, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Reply
  23. Truth

Is it just me, or does she seem like she would be a pain in the tail to live with after the wedding hoopla settled down and real life took hold...?

December 3, 2010 at 10:39 am | Reply
    • RichardHead@Truth

I concur,and you forgot about the cameras in the bedroom.

December 3, 2010 at 10:43 am | Reply
  24. RichardHead@Truth

Shall we "Hit It"? Like her haircut.

December 3, 2010 at 10:37 am | Reply
    • Truth@RichHead

I almost went there, but it is still early in MHC...but see my thought below...Might be fun after a couple of beers, but long term potential questionable.

December 3, 2010 at 10:40 am | Reply
  25. Jerv

"... I think my freak number is very low " That made me laugh!

December 3, 2010 at 10:35 am | Reply