5@5 is a daily, food-related list from chefs, writers, political pundits, musicians, actors, and all manner of opinionated people from around the globe.
Catherine McCord is a mother of two, model and former co-host of MTV's "Loveline." Now that Dr. Drew and FHM spreads are sitting on the sidelines, she turned her biggest passion - cooking - into Weelicious, a popular food blog for parents. And don't worry, McCord isn't into that whole I'm-gonna-slip-puréed-broccoli-into-the-chicken-nuggets tomfoolery - what your kids see is what they get.
The holidays are the perfect time to get the wee ones involved in the kitchen making homemade treats. Just don't let 'em eat too much icing or stick gumdrops up their noses - trust us, it ain't pretty.
Best part is? You never have to go to the mall. Edible gifts, for the win.
Five Homemade Holiday Party Treats: Catherine McCord
1. "Whenever we have all the kids and their parents over and the kids are running around creating chaos, I find the best way to get them to take it down a notch is to getting involved in some of the cooking! Let them be creative by decorating sugar cookies right before they go in the oven. You can put out all their favorite edible decorations and even let them ice the cookies when they're cool. Letting their inner artist come out is part of the spirit of this time of year."
2. "When friends leave our house during the holidays, I love to send them off with a thank-you gift of orange date muffins for the next morning, so they have something to enjoy for breakfast. If you place them in a Christmas-decorated bag tied with a nice ribbon, it adds to the special quality of the present."
3. "Wow your guests by serving them fancy mini crab cakes with a dollop of lemon aïoli on top and some diced red bell peppers and scallions as a garnish served on a nice platter. Better watch out though, the kids will be grabbing these little treats off the platter as well."
4. "Don't just serve one dessert after dinner, offer four! Placing an assortment of mini sweet treats such as date-nut brownies, decorated 'brown-wees', coconut macaroons and mini phyllo cheesecakes on individual plates for each guest to keep their palates nice and happy."
5. "Don't forget about you teachers and co-workers. A homemade gift, especially from your kitchen will not only impress, but also warm their heart and tummies. I love filling glass jars with chewy granola bars, gingerbread cookies or graham crackers in festive shapes."
Is there someone you'd like to see in the hot seat? Let us know in the comments below and if we agree, we'll do our best to chase 'em down.
I'd hit it.....
I shall say it one more time for Jdizz and myself-Cowboys and 49"ers Suck! Did ya get some sleep?
LOL I bet she does
LOL She;s a beauty!!! God I'm so excited to be going home....it'll be nice to just relax.
I hear Ya Baby Girl. Gotta work tomorrow or are ya off? Gettin ready for the Florida run again and hopefully no bad weather this time.
I hope you have way better weather. I do have to work tomorrow, get all caught up and organized. Transfer some files onto a flash drive for Bob...other than that...not too much. You make sure you drive safe!!
Always! Santa brought a gift to WD-It's Nite Vision Goggles and a New Whistle. She looks REAL cute when she has them on!
Got some runnin to do but I'l be back on around 5:30 Tx time. Relax today if you can and I'll catch you this evening. XO!
LOL I LOVE SNOW!!!! I swear I'm gonna be like a big kid when I get home. WD would have a blast we have 40 acres she could run around on!!!
Run? More like waddle since Thanksgiving,but she's my little pig and I Love Her!
LOL GO WD!!!
She wouldn't know what to do with all that snow. She's seen it maybe 5 times in her 10 yrs.
LOL I just can't stand people who say "you need to get a life for posting"....when they're posting!!!! On thE Elaine thread...it seems people are incredibly rude regarding her. If you have an original thought that varies from theirs....watch out all hell will break loose....It's stupid. Anyway, I am looking forward to going home...it's been 18 months.
Now, you want to talk cooking....it'll be foodfest 2010 when I get there. My mom always does a big crazy Christmas eve party, then Christmas day, then Boxing day God...it'll be fun though.
It does sound like a blast. BTW-Wonder Dog wishes for you to give a kiss to your 2 big dogs from her. Unless they are female. She's not that kind of girl!
LOL Not a problem!!! Lola is a girl but, my sister's Mastiff is a boy!!!
Suddenly she is panting very heavily. Hmmm-I wonder what is going thru her mind?
I wish!!! I have to stop over in Toronto..ugh! My own personal hell. Pearson Intl is the WORST airport on the planet. I always seem to have to walk 800 miles through the place to catch my connection. Which usually isn't too bad,but I have sooooo much luggage this time.
Try flying into New Jersey,What a Hell Hole. I have noticed that you are calming down on your responses to other posters. Proud of Ya! It helps keep the blood pressure down and NO fisticuffs.
LMAO No...Felicia!!! I'll be on no worries. I still have email too you know!!! I'm excited to go home. Seeing everyone the house will be CROWDED. I have 7 brothers and sisters and all their kids etc....it'll be crazy! First thing I'm going to do is grab my friend Tanya and go horseback riding...hopefully there is lots snow!!
I am Still loyal to my "special brunette"! Sounds like fun with all your family and friends. Send me some pics?
I will for sure!!!!! I will be on here plenty. I'll miss you too!!!!
Dang,Like pulling teeth to get you to say that. Doc Holiday would be proud! Direct flight to Ottawa?
You best learn how to spell my name,Missy! I ain't no Southern Brownie! This man thinks that you are special! Wish I had someone like that.
LOL I can still pop in...we have internet ya know!!!! LOL You are too sweet though.
Does this mean I have to talk louder so you can hear me way up yonder? Miss you already!
LOL Nope you don't have to talk louder!!! Aww..you won't have a chance to miss me!!! LOL
Trying to decipher that last comment. Oh well,there's always Felisha!
This one coming the 7th
Damn,Now I will know how my Brother Jdizz is feeling. Withdrawl without you here!
I'm leaving Tuesday and coming back on the 30th have to bust out theat New Years dress I've been starvin myself for.
O.k. so when ya leavin and the most important-When ya coming home?
Well my brother,I count 12 days remaining and alot of steps after that. Stay strong,we are all behind you. Miss you man! x.
Je veux frapper cela.
Don't lite a match!
RHead, VERY good point.
I am out guys. Talk to y'all on Monday! Have a safe weekend all!
Have a Great weekend my friend. Will talk at you on Monday.
Well played Gr8 . Definitely hit that!
Have a good weekend my friend. See you Monday!
You too RH. Hope you and WD have a good one. Talk to you Monday.
LMAO-Poor Wd was sitting next to me with all 4 legs crossed so I had to let her out. The love between a man and his dog! Well played GR8.
I am not sure I would want to eat anything from that kitchen unless she washes the counter that her kid has his feet all over...
I'd be more worried about where he is sitting and NOT the feet.
Good point, I don't see the kid wearing any pants...;)
Actually it looks as if someone already hit that...at least twice!
Those aren't real children they are stage props offered by the photographer.
Would definitely hit that!
Now thats what you call a MILF
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 8,155 other followers