December 2nd, 2010

You can't out-cook a ghost.

Goodness knows I have tried. I've spent hours, days, weeks, months in pursuit of the perfect biscuits, hauling ingredients from my husband's native North Carolina to our Brooklyn apartment, putting my lard-smeared hands on every text I could find and cornering octogenarian in-laws at holiday dinners. Moreover, I have rolled, beaten, patted and whispered to endless dough batches, made my own butter and buttermilk (the mention of that effort earned me a high-pitched "Sh*t, girl!” from none other than Paula Deen, and I will never get tired of telling people that), gone ice-less so as to accommodate more flour varieties in the freezer and I swear unto the heavens, I never, ever twist the biscuit cutter.

Still, I come giddily bearing the star of each batch, butter-slathered and piping hot, and study my husband's face as he takes the first bite. He's appreciative and unfailingly complimentary - a Southern gentleman, after all - but deep down, I know it's never going to measure up to the ones his long-departed Memama and her housekeeper Nettie rolled out on a linen pillowcase and served to him as a child. I've learned to be okay with that.

Grandmothers are canonized in Southern cooking, and while it's taken as read that your own cooking, with rare exception, will pale in comparison, willful deviation...doesn't go over so well.

Eatocracy recently hosted its inaugural Secret Supper in Atlanta at Chef Linton Hopkins' Restaurant Eugene. Hopkins is a James Beard Award-nominated, fourth-generation Atlanta resident and newly sworn-in president of the Southern Foodways Alliance, a group founded to "document, study, and celebrate the diverse food cultures of the changing American South." Chef Hopkins and his wife Gina not only work closely with the farmers from whom they source the restaurant's food - they are founding partners of the Peachtree Road Farmers Market. Gina sits on the board of Georgia Organics, their hospitality director Judith Winfrey is the co-operator of Love Is Love Farm, and Chef Hopkins has been instrumental in getting Georgia farmers, like Crystal Organic Farms, to reclaim true heritage crops like pimentos, the growth and production of which had been taken by large agricultural companies.

This reverence for the terroir and culture of the region's cooking was evidenced in every aspect of the menu - from artfully crafted and sourced country ham, green tomatoes pickled just in time to snatch them back from an early frost, playful riffs on Southern standards like pimento cheese, pickled shrimp and soulful creamy heirloom grits to lovingly slow-cooked ribs, quick-cured trout plucked from a nearby river mere hours before, carrots just forty minutes out of the ground, borne to the dinner by a farmer in attendance at the dinner, and a sweet send-off with cake made from sorghum - a Southern crop Hopkins is doing his best to evangelize and revive. It was, by the accounts of all in attendance, a love letter to the cooks, farmers and soul of the South.

Attendee, Atlanta food writer Christiane Lauterbach found resonance in the menu’s message on the identity of Southern food. “What we want is beautifully sourced ingredients – not stuff that you just get from the grocery store. Stuff that – you know the farmer, you know the cow, you know the pig. That evolution is very meaningful.”

Atlanta Journal-Constitution food writer and chief dining critic John Kessler agreed. “Bacon is our calling card. Everybody likes bacon, but there’s so much more to Southern food than that. What do they say in Italian? Cucina povere – poor people’s cooking. What Southern food is, is that. It is food that is very close to the agrarian tradition. It’s close to the earth.”

And yet...

That food is no more Southern than braised Kangaroo. 'This is antipasti down South'? No, it isn't. There is no antipasti down South – antipasti is *Italian*.

If the author thinks that foodie crap that happens to be served in the South has a 'distinctive Southern sense of place'... Well, then the terms cuisine and cooking have no meaning anymore, you can just call any food whatever you want with equal meaning. Or lack thereof. - DerekL

I agree 100% What we see here is some New York Yankee's idea of Southern cooking. Who eats bacon for supper unless you are serving breakfast for dinner?

While it all looks good, I've never seen anything like this served on any down home southern table. I am afraid this has got too far out of hand and has given the emperor a new set of clothes. - Popeye

Southern grub huh? I agree the fare looks attractive and wouldn't have minded being one of the guests, but southern it ain't. Please stop fu-fu'ing things up to the point of unrecognition. - huh?

Commenters on the live blog of the event took grave offense to the notion that this would be presented as Southern food. It is at odds with their notion of what the cuisine has always meant to them and their family, and respondents to our accompanying stories Reclaiming the soul of Southern food and How well do you know Southern food? accuse chefs like Hopkins, Charleston's Sean Brock and Roanoake's Josh Smith of cultural and culinary treason for their reverence of ingredients over dishes and their seeming disloyalty to the specter of the Southern grandmother.

That's why we are hosting the Secret Suppers. While we cannot (yet) physically feed everyone, we believe passionately and firmly that the best discussion takes place around a dinner table. Food fuels ideas, feeds minds and well as stomachs and is a catalyst for passionate dialogue about culture, economics, race, gender and, yes, the dishes themselves. As attendee, chef and author Virginia Willis says food, “will allow us to connect what we’re putting in our mouths with what is happening around the world.”

We want to hear from you - pull up a chair, take your place at the table and share your thoughts on the state of Southern cooking in the comments below and we'll share some of the most thoughtful and provocative responses in an upcoming post.

Type with your mouth full - maybe even have a biscuit.

Read more about the Eatocracy Secret Suppers and see all the dishes that were served

1. Jeremy

I"m from the south and i assure you there is not talking after a good helpin of souther food because we're all semi comatose

November 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Reply
  2. Mainegirl

I grew up in the northeast, and now live in North Carolina, while both cuisines have their strengths-I love them both. One thing I have learned from Native Southerners is the history of a lot of the food, the importance of family and Sunday Dinners, and go to your local farm stand or neighbor and cook what is in season. In Maine you get to know your local fisherman, butcher and try to eat local as well. Believe me southern food is no more fattening that northern or Mid western. I just have to say the popovers, Lobster and clam chowder are better up north, but in the south east carolina barbeque, buscuits and the plithera of local veggies cooked everyway cant be beat. Enjoy and celebrate that in this great country we have such variety.

June 17, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Reply
  3. The Witty One

LAST!!!!!

December 27, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Reply
  4. strangetimes

Well, I'm a pure-d hybrid. Mom's family is from several different southern states (I currently live in VA) & Dad's family emigrated from Italy. I've had the best of the culinary world for over 50 years! And there are surprising similarities between the 2 cuisines. Polenta & grits, for example. I would say, oddly enough, the greatest difference I noticed growing up was that my Italian grandma served far smaller portions of meat than my Mom & Aunt. Also the number of vegetable dishes were about the same, but the "southern" ones were often pickled or cooked with a little pork. One uncle who was born in Tennesse had never tasted real Italian food until he married into the family & he loved it. So when we came for a visit, Mom would bring him lasagne & meatballs & gravy for dinner & he'd make us scrapple & grits & eggs for breakfast...it was great. Both served dandeliion salad, but Mom made a hot dressing & Grandma used a cold vinaigrette w/garlic. Both used a lot of beans & soups – poor folks food, if you will. Pasta Fagioli vs. Hoppin' John. Both used a lot of fish, although the Southern folks were more inclined to fry it than bake it. Bacon vs. Guanciale or Pancetta. Chicken & dumplings, Italian Wedding Soup. Both served real food with real love. Both families worked hard physically & were careful with the pennies. Yes, we may need to lower fat & meat intake, but I'm tired of this "fear of food" rampant in the country. Taste the love, add lots of vegetables, eat locally grown (both grew much of their own) & taste the love. Expensive ingredients almost never found their way into our meals:)

December 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Reply
  5. Tanya

Being raised in N.C. my whole life, I know southern food. I know that when supplies are low, I can still make something wonderful. Biscuits aren't just for supper. They are also dessert. Open a hot biscuit and pour Black Strap Molasses onto it. Oh my goodness. My Grandmother would use leftover biscuits for her onions. She would cut a thick slice of onion and put it between the biscuits, wrap it in wax paper and go fishing. Meat was something that we had, although not always a lot of....hence the large variety of other things. Usually several starches and vegetables, bread and sliced tomatoes and spring onions. And dessert. I love my southerness and my food. Even my Yankee husband can't resist a bowl of butter beans cooked with a thick slab of fatback, porkchops and collard greens cooked with fatback too. Along with chow-chow and a bottle of hot vinegar with Tabasco peppers in it to shake on top of the greens. And of course cornbread made in a cast-iron skillet.

December 19, 2010 at 11:57 am | Reply
  6. Robert King

Mercy! Fried catfish, fried anything that one could get, fatback, pig brains and eggs, black-eyed peas, ham hocks, greens, green onions, pulled bbq pork, pickled pig's feet .....any part of the pig that the "white boss" didn't eat, and, of course, biscuits that would melt in one's mouth. Gravy? You betcha! Sausage-based white gravy ....the best.

This "food" is what my family ate during the Great Depression ....when the family could get it. School lunch? A cold baked potato and a tomato from the vine carried in a one-gallon paint can. Assume we were poor, but so was everyone else.

Don't know where the people in the video came up with the "southern food" thing.

December 14, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Reply
  7. Kelly

"The biggest portions I have ever been served in my life were in Baltimore, Maryland. We went to a seafood restaurant and the fish covered the entire plate; we went to a "normal" restaurant and received 1/2 pound hamburgers and enough french fries for three people. It was so extreme I started calling it "City of Enormous Portions." I take this as a restaurant thing, though, not a Southern thing. I think you have to be a resident to know what southern food is, and I'm not."

Sandy – I don't care where the Mason/Dixon Line is... but being from the SOUTH, I know that any true southerner would be offended to hear that some people consider Baltimore, Maryland to be in the SOUTH... It is more acquainted with states further North, like Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey!

December 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  8. Christopher

Southern Food is wonderful. It is the stereotypical cuisine that everyone thinks of. buttermilk biscuits with white sausage gravy, country fried steak, collard greens with buttery cornbread, fried green tomatoes and deep fried chicken and tea so sweet it has the texture of maple syrup (not literally). You will not find the complex flavors that are available in Thai or asian cuisine. Sure some Southern cooks have ways of putting their little twist on recipes offering a suttle level of complexity but the flavors for the most part are very simple with no surprises but that is exactly what makes it so good. Good old fashioned comfort food. As good as it tastes it is also incredibly bad for you. This is why the south has the highest obesity rates in the nation. They just can't resist the food. It is something that should be eaten sparingly as a treat only occasionally as it is very high in fat, sugar and sodium. Even the vegetables are prepared in such a way that they are not healthy for you. Like sweet potatoes for instance we load up with brown sugar and butter and put marshmellows on top. A great flavor but deadly if eaten often over time.

December 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  9. Bobby

Start off with homemade biscuits, with a pat of butter and some sorghum molasses, then: pinto beans, turnip greens, pan fried okra, a wedge of cornbread (no sugar in it!), a slice of onion, all seasoned with peppers in vinegar sauce, and a big ol' glass of iced sweet tea, lemon optional... finally, have a slice of sweet potato or pecan pie... Lawdy!
    I'm a native Southerner, and my dad's people settled in northeast Mississippi in the 1830s. My mom's people were from middle south Tennessee since way back as well... I think I know a little about southern cooking... it's about family, friendship, tradition, memories, comfort, and love... it covers a vast array of foods, from the classic pork barbeque of Memphis, to the classic Cajun and Creole dishes of Louisiana, to the seafood dishes of the Low Country, to every potluck dinner in between... Food is the soul of the South, and Grandma with her wooden spoon is it's architect...

December 9, 2010 at 12:44 am | Reply
  10. Cait

One thing I miss very much when I leave the South is sweet tea.

December 8, 2010 at 8:33 am | Reply
  11. Sea Dog

Quit fretting and get on with cooking. You-all are thinking this to death. Either you can cook, or you can't (which, if you're Northern, is most likely the case), but either way, good food doesn't need all this categorization, documentation, or disputation.

December 7, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Reply
  12. Girlie

Well, goodness gracious. Bless all your little hearts!
    The truth about southern food is quite simple: What is cooked and how it is cooked is not nearly as important as the love and tradition that stand behind the fact that it is cooked with care and tenderness to feed the people one cares for.
    My mother was never the world's greatest cook, and she was raised on a small farm just outside the itty bitty town of Goodwater, Alabama (for those of you familiar with the area, it's situated a little north of being smack dab in the middle of Sylacauga and Alexander City). From a culinary standpoint, my mama never made the world's "best" fried chicken, and she never mastered (or tried, to my knowledge) to make any type of biscuit other than canned. Love for her family added just the right seasoning to her food, though, and I'd still prefer her cooking to anything I've ever been served in any of those four and five star restaurants I've been to.
    There's something about a southern cook – even when the flour on the fried porkchops is burnt, you can still taste the love that put it there in the first place. After all, isn't that what it's all about?

December 7, 2010 at 11:13 am | Reply
  13. ChefDave

There is no 'one' Southern cuisine – and that's one of the great things about Southern cuisine. Cross-cultural, influenced by terroir and tradition, and it's all good. You wouldn't find the same foods on the table in western North Carolina, the Low Country, the Florida panhandle, the urban Atlantic coast, rural Alabama or New Orleans. But it's all Southern, and it's all from tradition passed down through the generations.

December 6, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Reply
  14. soleada

My mom, and everyone else in my family (except for me – I was born in tennessee), are from ohio. But my mom's mastered the art of southern cooking. Her biscuits, creamed turkey after thanksgiving, fried chicken... Yum!

December 6, 2010 at 11:49 am | Reply
  15. annsrum

There is no master Southern Food list. You are never going to get everyone to agree on what is considered Southern. Yes, there are similarities from region to region but you kind of also have pockets of different styles and ways to cook things. Just like there are many different ways to cook every other type of food in the world (Italian, Mexican, Etc). My grandma may do things differently than someone else's grandma.

Most recipes are generally passed down from generation to generation and the idea of the Southern Grandma (and what us younger cooks spend years trying to work toward) or some maternal vision is often a big part of that although anything on the grill is oftentimes done by the more masculine of us (although that is still not hard set in stone).

Not all of us get everything straight from the farm either. That is obviously optimal but oftentimes is not done especially by those of us who don't live on a farm (and shock shock there are plenty of us who don't).

Ultimately you cannot call something Southern if you don't involve some Southern native cooks and you don't have recipes with a history associated to them. It's the people and the passion and the history. The recipes that have been verified and loved by many over the years. That my friend is what Southern cooking really is.

Also, you can never truly duplicate what someone else's grandma has made. That's like having someone copy a Picasso. It looks the same but it isn't done by Picasso. That doesn't mean you can't be a good cook in your own right though. Grandma didn't become the ultimate cook overnight. It took many years of practice. Therefore your efforts aren't wasted. You will grow into your own best cook and someday your kids will be telling their spouses, "You can't make it like my grandma"

December 6, 2010 at 10:16 am | Reply
  16. marryMeSis

Deep-fried incest and Yankee hating racists, that's the best southern cooking! Woo hoo!
    The average IQ drops by 50% and the average weight increases by the same 50% when you cross the Mason-Dixon line!
    Now go enjoy the time with your new cousin-bride!

December 6, 2010 at 8:40 am | Reply
    • annsrum

That would be like going to the North and finding the awful things about the North and saying that everyone who lives there is like that. Not every person is nice no matter where you live and I doubt South has a larger percentage of crappy behavior than the North does.

December 6, 2010 at 11:22 am | Reply
  17. Marianna Elliott

I think the vehemence of the disagreements is actually a result of non-agreement of what is southern food. Those of you who are saying southern food is all fried, and mac and cheese, and a recipe for obesity – this is a socio-economic anti cuisine found all over the country.

Actually, real southern food is very modern for today's trends. It is vegetable and grain intense, and very light on meat and dairy. It is an agrarian area, with large areas of low income = meats used as seasonings, or once or twice a week special dinners. Red meat is a rarity. Sustainably caught seafood is important. There is an emphasis on local, seasonal ingredients and preparation is minimal and clean. Every part of an animal is used, when they are eaten.

I grew up in South Carolina. I had mac and cheese maybe once growing up. And some of my favorite dinners were in the summer – field peas, sliced tomatoes, corn on the cob, salad. Done.

December 6, 2010 at 1:20 am | Reply
  18. Peter

I lived in Arkansas during my university years (as a foreign student) in the early 80s and man did I enjoyed the food down there. Now living in Canada, I sure missed the deep fried catfish (man, did they have that down to a science in terms of oil temperature and frying time), I sure love their gravy and biscuits, okra was another favorite but my favorite was the fried chicken. Tried as I could, I wasn't able to get excited about grits, LOL!

December 5, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Reply
  19. Sarah

As Christmas approaches, I can't help but go back in time to my Aunt Lela's kitchen in Kenly, NC watching her whip up a batch of homemade biscuits in the same large wooden bowl used by her mother over 100 years ago (wish I knew where that bowl is today). Yes, lard was involved but they melted in your mouth and you would slap your granny to get one. Also, my husband and I still argue over the best way to cook collards. He grew up eating them just cut up while I like my chopped ultra fine (keep in mind that they are sweeter after a nice frost). Although most of our food did come from the earth (green beans, limas, black eyed peas, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peaches etc.) I don't remember using mushrooms. They were considered fancy or something you killed on the lawn. OK, all this talk of food, now I am hungry.

December 5, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Reply
  20. JW

My grandmother (from Virginia) made the best, melt-in-your-mouth rolls, which she called “light bread.” It was delicious because she would mix everything and fashion the rolls, placing a damp towel over the pans. The yeast would do its job overnight and Sunday morning, the rolls were popped in the oven. The family could barely wait for the piping hot rolls.

Long ago, spices and condiments were not available and bacon drippings and salt made Southern food tastier. Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia and Louisiana have a lot in common. Virginia is known for its Smithfield ham, apples, peanuts. NC & SC have barbecue, rice and make a dish called Hoppin’ John. Georgia has its peaches, pecans, peanuts and onions. Louisiana ( I think the best food) has crawfish, crab, oysters, and shrimp. Mississippi–catfish.

Rice, grits, okra, tomatoes, corn, chicken, greens are what poor people had access to something right out of the garden, from the chicken coop or the pen down by the barn.
    The reason Southern cooking looks good to restaurant owners today, is that it is cheap, ingredients are not exotic, easy to obtain.

But when all is said and done, Southern cooking is about ritual and family. Everything tastes better when you share it with loved ones. It’s up to us to tell family members to push back from the table–one helping is enough.

(Living in NC)

December 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Reply
    • Sarah

Amen to that JW.

December 5, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Reply
  21. Diana

native, 30 year old californian here. it wasn't until a few years ago that i had grits for the first time. i hadn't even known what they were before. tragic! since then, i have expanded my appreciation of southern/soul food and cooking courage, and treat my new cast-iron skillet with motherly love! can't wait to learn more! :)

December 5, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Reply
  22. CJ

I spent 2 months in Louisiana this past summer working on the Deepwater Horizon. I gained about 15 pounds eating at places like Waffle House and Cracker Barrel. Tell me southern food is not fattening.

December 5, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Reply
  23. Jane Chambers

Now, you all know there is no such thing as food restricted to a region. "Southern" cooking is no more than memories of people from the south of the dishes they were served when they were children. How many of us think that things were simpler, purer when we were children? That's because we WERE children then: EVERYTHING is simple to a child. Also, children are hungry little creatures, so everything is better to them (because food tastes better when you are hungry.). Take a taste test and– in a blind study–choose which food is "southern". Of course, you cannot, because food is food and regions are regions. They are not unique in any important way anymore. But nostalgia reigns, anyway–because when nostalgia disagrees with reality, nostalgia wins every time. (America has the best health care and education system in the world. Right?)

December 5, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  24. Aaron Tilley

Please someone teach the New Yorkers how to make good southern food. As a native Texan bound for NYC in september it would be beyond nice.

I grew up with fried chicken, chicken fried steak, fried okra, greenbeans with some sort of pork in them, candied yams, sweetpotato pie, turnisps, home made rolls and biscuits, bacon, smoked ham, monkeybread, potroast, tamales, fajitas, enchiladas, sopapillas, bbq brisket, sausage, corn nuggets, etc. Ok, now I'm hungry.

The south haters talking trash above (i.e. internet trolls) should just take some southern advice–"if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

December 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  25. Sosk

For those of you who love Southern cooking, or would like to know more about it, please read "The Glory of Southern Cooking" by James Beard Award -winner James Villas. The food editor for Town & Country Magazine for many years, he has devoted his life to the subject. If you don't love Southern cooking, why not go to a discussion about the kind of food you prefer? Southern cooking is made up of many different regional preferences. Talking about Southern cooking is akin to discussing a southern accent – what part of the South are you talking about? It 's all different. A Virginia accent is very different from a Tennessee accent, which is very different from a Mississippi accent, etc, and so it is with cuisine. Southern cuisine (like any other) has a lot to do with the people that were there in the beginning, came voluntarily, or were brought involuntarily – English, French, Scotch-Irish, Scottish, Africans, Spanish, Native American and more. I'm a Tennessean, now living in Florida, who lived in the Upper Midwest for eight years. I won't name the state, but the food couldn't compare to the South in my opinion. Lots of casseroles made with canned ingredients, and no one seemed to know much about vegetables.I love trying newly discovered southern recipes, and some of the best come from old church or Junior League cookbooks. As far as obesity, the whole country is getting way fatter. The South doesn't have a monopoly on that.

December 5, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Reply
  26. NEer

Southern food can stay in the south along with their weird, dumb superstitions?? I've never heard so many ass-backwards beliefs in my life. Like "kissing pimples" on a newborn baby. The older folks in my husband's Alabama family say this happens to a baby when you let too many people kiss him/her. When really the pimples erupt from oil that was in the amniotic fluid. AND when my husband was a baby, he had an Aunt that would pinch his nose to try and shape it in to a less "Flat" shape. Ridiculous. Anyway, the food is good, I agree, but I can only eat it maybe once, twice a year at most. And who, that has every prepared food for the ones they love, does not put their heart and soul in to it? Whether you are making Southern or soul food, Italian, Polish, German, Asian, we all have our traditions. And we'll never all agree, so calm down people! God Bless America, glad we can all speak our minds here in this great country! Happy Holidays everyone : )

December 5, 2010 at 11:29 am | Reply
  27. Marcus Simonson

As a good ol southern boy who loves southern food. Some of the best food that I have had so far has been in Athens Ga. There is a little group called the Four Coursemen who do dinner parties a few times a month in a house. The food I have had there was unbelievable (better than a lot of the best Atlanta Restaurants) A full 5 course meal all paired with wine. The best thing is is that the food is mostly sustainable and locally grown. I have eaten there a few times and every time is a knock out. The problem is that they sell out quick. If you ever have the chance you should check them out.

December 5, 2010 at 11:25 am | Reply
  28. Catherine Wilburn

Ga Born To those that do not know the different between Soul Food and Southern Food. Southern food is the foods that were served in the master home during slavery. Soul food is the food that was given to the slaves to eat.I"m only ,4 generations from slavery. Our fore parents had to learn how to cook this throw away food. They ingeniously figure out how to do this. It was done with love and hard work and with their whole soul. That why it is called soul food. When you taste it you know they put their soul in it. If probably cooked fried foods are not greasy. It has to be cooked on the right temperature and drained probably. Our food is a label of love. My parent lived to be in their 90"s eating this food.

December 5, 2010 at 11:08 am | Reply
  29. travis

Southern cooking, much like all modern day cooking has rolled over and died. Nobody cooks, they eat take out, or nuke something from a package. Maybe they make a cake from a box. Real home cooking is a lost art. Southern cooking as I remember it is either deep fried or too sweet. But the atmosphere of love around the table lends a rosy glow to even poorly prepared food. That's the secret ingredient of Southern fare.

December 5, 2010 at 11:05 am | Reply
    • Diana

don't be so pessimistic. i know i'm not the only one who prefers cooking most of her foods from scratch, and loving every minute of it—even the clean up! :)

December 5, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Reply
      • Hannah

You must LIVE in the kitchen . Poor thing–get a life. I'll bet you are obese, too!

December 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Reply
      • Diana

does that make you feel better, hannah? haha.

December 5, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Reply
  30. floridavet

CNN knows as much about Southern Cooking as I know about going to the moon.

December 5, 2010 at 10:52 am | Reply
  31. Steve

Why has nobody mentioned fried gator tails? I have a dear friend in NC who loves them, but I wouldn't touch them.... just not kosher.

December 5, 2010 at 10:45 am | Reply