November 26th, 2010

If you are a coffee lover you might be tempted to pay for a cup of the most expensive coffee in the world. Indonesia's velvety tasting brew, Kopi Luwak, gives new meaning to rich coffee. It can cost up to $50 per cup.

"The supply is very limited in the world that makes the price is very expensive," Kopi Luwak brand managing director Henry Fernando said.

The reason the supply is limited has to do with how the beans are initially processed. Just a warning here, it isn't pretty.

Kopi means coffee in Indonesian and Luwak is a wild Asian palm civet, a fury creature that looks like a cross between a cat and a ferret. The civet climbs the coffee trees to find the best berries, eats them, digests the berries and eventually out comes the coffee beans in its stools. Farmers then pick up the civet droppings and take the beans to a processing plant. Something about the gastric juices in the civet's stomach gives Kopi Luwak its unique flavor.

Read Kopi Luwak: Indonesia's rich cup or 'crappuccino'? on iList

Posted by:
Filed under: Coffee • Sip

1. wayang

Greetings all,

Cool article :)

Guys we could provide you Genuine Kopi Luwak Coffees from Wild Civets, Robusta Coffees and Arabica

Coffees from Sumatra Coffee Berries Plantations, famously known for it's best coffee qualities and

years of experinces.

For complete info see https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wayang45/505093269556017

Email : icarustheflyingboy@gmail.com

Thank you!

Best Regards

July 17, 2013 at 9:58 am | Reply
  2. Bill Clinton

For enough money, I would be willing to eat the coffee beans and poop out the expensive coffee.

December 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Reply
  3. Breezy

I want to try cat poo coffee even if its 50 dollars. I hear about cat poo coffee from must love cats!!!!

November 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

With tinsel from the tree!

November 15, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Reply
  4. ALAN YEUNG

Hi,
    We are the suave coffee from Hong Kong. We supply best wild kopi Luwak coffee bean single origin frrom Indonesia. Wild and pure 100% wild Luwak from single origin. Luwak Coffee are carefully cleaned, natural sun dried, quality controlled, preserve the best Luwak beans. graded almost zero defect bean by international quality standard.

Our Luwak coffee have a specific aroma that differ from ordinary coffee from same location or any places on earth, Once you test the original cup of Luwak coffee, you never forgot the taste and aroma, just like a typical perfume of coffee. The coffees we presented were some of the best in the comp and cupped in the mid 80's.
    Limited Stock by booked order:
    USD 5.5 per cup on average

Contact us to prove you for real of Luwak coffee:
    thesuavecoffee@gmail.com
    Alan Yeung

April 15, 2011 at 2:09 am | Reply
  5. gricni zrno kave

best taste times&times again: http://www.gricni.com/kopi-luwak

February 5, 2011 at 7:08 am | Reply
  6. LisaS

Who was the first person that decided cleaning beans out of poop and brewing them up might be worth a try?

December 20, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Reply
  7. Koffie Goenoeng Fairdirectrade

Mark L: I guess the first person who tried this was a poor Javanese farmworker during the hardship of Tanam Paksa imposed by the Dutch colonial government in betwee 1830-1880. And the East-Indies Dutch was notoriously stingy that they won't loose even cat poop.

December 17, 2010 at 4:38 am | Reply
  8. Mark L

I wonder who was the first brave soul to try this....

November 29, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  9. RichardHead

As they say in Canada-No Worry"s Eh? Catch ya on the other thread in a minute.

November 28, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  10. AuroraDawn

LOL Sorry I'm a bit of a slow learner...gotta love that Willie Nelson

November 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Reply
  11. RichardHead

O.K.-One more time-stx and Willie Nelson is a "legend" who keeps getting busted in West TX. I laugh every time it happens to him.

November 28, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Reply
  12. AuroraDawn

LOL Yeah we like our beer big at home!

November 28, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Reply
  13. RichardHead

STX-Only had a half mile radius to walk around 'cuz Dudley Do Right didn't like dogs. Ordered a Coors beer and that thing was like a 2 liter here in the States Coors won't sell them here. Truth gets all the fun stuff in CO.

November 28, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Reply
  14. AuroraDawn

Gotcha! Montreal is great, only about an hour from Ottawa. Terrible drivers there but wicked shopping and restaurants for sure!!

November 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Reply
  15. RichardHead@MizzJdizz

Any update on my brother? Hope they didn't feed him that ToFurkey crap Thursday. If he comes back a VEGAN I will hunt him down and force feed Texas BBQ into him.

November 28, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Reply
    • AuroraDawn

...RH I keep getting an error message....when I try to send

November 28, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Reply
  16. RichardHead@AD

Good Lord,i hate picking up WD's poop but with 2 Big dogs like that you'd need a front end loader. I had enough of snow when I was in New York. Hate driving in it.

November 28, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Reply
    • AuroraDawn

LOL I never really thought about it but I guess cleaning up after them isn't much fun! I guess mom gets a really good present this year!!! OMG I love the snow, I guess growing up in Canada you learn to love it. I remember many,many days of -40 weather.,it's pretty cold sometimes,but I'm used to it. It does get hot there in the summer though, it's humid in Ottawa though because it's a valley which sometimes makes the heat icky.

November 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead@AD

Hot as in 80 degrees? Subliminalmessagestxlegendaolcommailadress...........Testing ,,can you hear me now? Been to Canada twice. Had to drop a trailer 10 miles within the border and wait on a Bonded Canadian to deliver it. Those guys had bankers hours so I sat for a day and a half. Montreal was nice and the food was good.

November 28, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Reply
  17. AuroraDawn

LOL She sounds great! At home my dog is a Burmese Mountain Dog Lola,my little sister has a Bull Mastiff at home too. My sister is in University in British Columbia and I'm here so I guess my mom gets all the company from them when we're gone! Mom and Dad live out in the country so they have tons of land at least. My dog is a lazy dog...loves the snow though.

November 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  18. RichardHead@AD

She's a Black&Tan Cocker Spaniel that when she gets riled thinks she is a German Shepherd! She's suppose to weigh 30lbs but has gained a FEW since the holidays. What about yours?

November 28, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Reply
  19. AuroraDawn

LOL I only have a dog back home...in my apartment it's waaaay too small. What kind of dog is WD?

November 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Reply
  20. AuroraDawn

LOL I will look forward to receivving my doctorate. God, after reading my response I can see why I'm single...LOL

November 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead@AD

WD and I have been together for 10 years now. She can't cook worth a damn but she's ALWAYS got my six covered! I like highly scientific minded people!

November 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Reply
  21. AuroraDawn

Well, as far as the coffee goes. It has little to do with anti aging properties. Actually in the digestive system of Civet proteolytic enzymes permeate the beans resulting in additional amino acids and shorter more easily utilized peptide strands.

As for eggs,I dunno who the first person was to think it was a good idea.

November 28, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Reply
  22. RichardHead

Brilliant! A Doctorate of Poopology is in the mail!

November 27, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Reply
    • AuroraDawn

LOL ...DARN IT no Doctorate of Poopology for me??? I could put it next to my maimed cardboard cutout of Symon!!

November 28, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead@AD

Yes,I concur on all the scientific thingy's that you so eloquently stated. Since FedEX lost those uranium rods,my pie and probably my cookies, I have decided to send your Doctorate of Poopology via snail mail-USPS. You should get it sometime next YEAR!

November 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  23. Evan

LOGIC 101: The cat eats this specific coffee bean because it contains unique nutrients the cat's body needs, after which it defecates or poops the unnutritional organic remains of the coffee. This waste may taste great to some well heeled "poop connoisseurs" who would rather drink sewage than save an impoverished life. HOWEVER, the cat has the last laugh, because it has absorbed any antioxidants (that may actually extend youth) in this unique coffee!

Intelligent wealthy individuals would insist on buying the undigested coffee beans these cats find so appealing and nutritious. Nature is the ultimate conservationist, and these cats eat this coffee because it has some still unknown nutrient or "vitamin" or antioxidant that, for all we know, could slow the aging process! So while fools part with their money to sip the cats' worthless waste, the cat is benefitting in ways that intelligent rich people (and anyone intelligent, rich or otherwise) would want to benefit from!

I want to order this coffee at normal coffee prices and enjoy it BEFORE these cats digest all of its apparently amazing nutritional benefits! Better digested in my body where its unique antioxidants might do some real good than drinking it from the butts of cats! (As much coffee as I drink from amazing locations around the world, I could save an absolute fortune by not insisting that feral cats must poop it out of their behinds before it goes into what would surely become a literal "potty mouth"!)

November 27, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  24. Hotsouthcat

What about cat poop coffee vitamin? High Vitamin C? Berries have very high Vitamin C and antioxidant. I am addicted to coffee and chocolate that are made of beans. No thanks to animal poop coffee.

November 27, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Reply
  25. RichardHead@Truth

We should ask our Worthy Scientist to ponder this revelation.

November 27, 2010 at 11:22 am | Reply
  26. AuroraDawn

LOL....I don't know I love a great cup of coffee ,but I have definite reservations about ingesting something that has been expelled from the intestinal tract of a cat.

November 27, 2010 at 8:28 am | Reply
    • RichardHead

What do they do with the Hairballs mixed in with this..umm crap?

November 27, 2010 at 8:46 am | Reply
    • Truth@RichHead, AD

I have often wondered the same things about how eggs were first found to be edible. Who was that first guy who said to himself "Hey, I am going to walk up to a chicken and eat what comes out it it..."

November 27, 2010 at 10:58 am | Reply
  27. RichardHead

Just think about the poor guy walking behind him with TP paper to wipe it's butt!

November 26, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Reply
  28. Truth

Sorry, but if anyone is willing to pay $50 for this, it proves that PT Barnum was right about a sucker born every minute.

November 26, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  29. RichardHead

Couldn't taste any worse than some of the truckstop coffee I've had. Not worth $50.00 though.

November 26, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Reply