Lunchtime poll – going cold turkey
November 26th, 2010

Some folks dread Thanksgiving leftovers. Some of us woke up today, sprinted to the fridge and commenced cramming chilled turkey scraps into our slavering gobs like rabid badgers.

Et vous?

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Holidays • Lunchtime Poll • Thanksgiving

« Previous entry
  1. Ried

Leftovers, all the cooking, plus dishes or going out and not worrying about any of it? I prefer the latter...

November 29, 2010 at 7:22 am |
  2. Jack

I agree with the Turkey Tetrazini. Except I am gluten free so I use rice instead of pasta and call it Tetrisotto. I also add asparagus to the I Hate to Cook Book (p39) recipe.

I *got* to eat leftovers growing up, and love them. My wife *had* to eat them, and hates them.
    But she does like the Thanksgiving ones.

November 28, 2010 at 2:05 am |
  3. RichardHead

Morning, Got down to 31 degrees this morning. Should be back near 70 in the next couple of days. Looks like Bob had a little fun with AD.

November 27, 2010 at 11:18 am |
  4. Truth@RichHead, AD

Morning folks...A little warmer in the MHC this morning...Looking to get in a couple hours at the office, before lunch. Hope y'all are doing well!

November 27, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  5. OPoe

I doubled the potatoes so we would have LOTS of those left over!

November 27, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  6. RichardHead@AD

MMMMMM-Martini cookies! Call FedEx immediately. What part of the Frozen Tundra you headed to? Xmas is my busy time 'cuz most of the drivers take off for the holidays.WD is my Co-Pilot and she comes in handy in case I get stopped by the DOT.

November 27, 2010 at 9:01 am |
    • AuroraDawn

I'll be headed home to the booming metropolis of Ottawa,Ontario! My friend sent me an email and they have lots of snow already! Well, feel free to come visit on your travels this Christmas!!!! LOL I'll call FEDEX immediately for a cookie shipment!!

November 27, 2010 at 9:41 am |
      • RichardHead@AD

Sadly,WD does not have a Passport. You and Annie have fun today as I will be in and out this afternoon. 2 things to remember-Turn the oven ON and Don't burn the cookies. Talk to ya in a bit.

November 27, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  7. AuroraDawn

@RH Well, not much happening this weekend. Wrapping Christmas gifts mainly. My friend Annie is coming over so we can make cookies for her "Cookie Exchange"...LOL Nothing but debauchery there!!! A quiet weekend is a good thing every now and then. Hope you and WD have a great one. I bought my ticket to go home for Christmas last night. I'm going to take a week and go home for the holidays...can't wait to see my mom and my brothers and sisters.

November 27, 2010 at 8:52 am |
  8. AuroraDawn

@Bob. Yes it is a Canadian thing,our people are known for our vindictiveness. LOL Now the "minor incident" of which you speak....well it was hardly minor!!!! LOL You killed my cardboard fiance!!! Just because I've never met him,he's famous and already married...doesn't mean it couldn't have happened someday!!!! LOL

Well Bob I feel terribly about your diapers....I'm afraid you will not be able to enjoy their benefits any longer....have a terrible day!!! LOL I hope on Monday even you...can find someone to "hit it" with though. LOL

November 27, 2010 at 8:19 am |
  9. RichardHead@AD

My goodness,hate and discontent soooo early this morning. Coffee is good this morning even without the cat poop. Bob seems like a pretty standup guy,at least he apologized.

November 27, 2010 at 8:10 am |
    • AuroraDawn

LOL Yes Bob is a prince amongst men....not! He committed the worst of all crimes. The premeditated murder of my cardboard cutout of Michael Symon.....for that....no apology will do....I swear RH....sometimes I think I should lay off the martini's on Friday nights...makes me all cranky on Saturday mornings!!! LOL

November 27, 2010 at 8:23 am |
      • RichardHead@AD

Try "Shaken Not Stirred"! I think Jdizz would be proud of the way you are handling Bob. WD and I are going to have a quiet weekend of football and Turkey sandwiches. Any plans for the weekend? Besides the martinis.

November 27, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  10. SPC G

I LOVE leftovers. I simply make me a plate of EXACTLY the same stuff I had at the main meal- a duplicate plate, after plate, until the leftovers run out. VERY exciting getting to eat the same meal again and again....its the only time of year I have cranberry sauce :P
    In fact when we're shopping for the meal to begin with we always have leftovers in mind, so buy extra poatoes etc.
    My sister and I have hurt eachother fighting for leftovers YUM!!

November 27, 2010 at 4:56 am |
  11. Jenny

Thanksgiving is a great time for family to gather together and spent the time together. Even for those who don't celebrate Thanksgiving. I think it's really wonderful time to be in home.

November 27, 2010 at 2:30 am |
  12. The voice of reason

Turkey mole' is the ultimate! But I also just love eating all the leftover stuffing with gravy, although unfortunately the gravy and stuffing disappear all too quickly....leaving turkey by itself. Mole' to the rescue :)

November 26, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  13. fivesahandfull

I make turkey tetrazini with the leftover turkey; it's absolutely amazing.......

November 26, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  14. AuroraDawn

Black bean and turkey chili...take my word for it with toasted cumin,chipotles in adobo (add a little adobo for smokiness)onions,black beans it is delicious and a change from turkey soup or pot pie. I usually make Sopes too. Throw in a Margarita...ok and Michael Symon as a dinner guest and life is good!!!!....*sigh* Michael Symon.

November 26, 2010 at 7:56 pm |
    • Buda

I rub his bald head every morning for good luck. You can rub his stomach before we play Hit It on Monday.

November 26, 2010 at 8:29 pm |
      • AuroraDawn

LOL And a lively game of "hit it" it will be!!!!

November 26, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
    • Bob@AuroraDawn

I stopped by the office yesterday afternoon as I had forgotten my retainer in my desk. There was some Bald guy sitting there and was VERY anti-social as he did not speak to me at all. I am sure you are aware of my flatulence problem{you walking around with a clothespin on your nose was a subtle hint} and while bending over to get into my desk a very unfortunate Accident happened. I blew a hole thru this guys stomach and he and the chair went flying across the office. I sincerely apologize yet was lucky enough to remember that I had an extra Adult size Depends diaper in my man purse. You cannot tell where the hole is now and on the bright side I can now eat corn on the cob and some of Aunt Bertha's scrumptious Fruit Cake. I will bring you some bright and early Monday morning.Again my sincere apologies for this unfortunate accident.

November 27, 2010 at 7:02 am |
      • AuroraDawn

...Oh Bob....you killed my cutout of Michael Symon???? LOL Well, in that case,when you return to work Monday,please accept my apologies in advance. As I will be forced to send your wall poster of Jane Goodall through the office shredder. In addition to ruining the order of everything on your desk...as I know you love that...yeah that's right....I'm gonna move your stapler!!!! LOL I will also be forced to slip you BEANO at every opportunity. Hope you have a good weekend.....Oh yeah and your William Shatner paperweight....it's toast! lol

November 27, 2010 at 7:41 am |
      • Bob@AuroraDawn

You are so vindictive! It must be a Canadian thing as my American counterparts would not treat me so harshly over such a MINOR accident. Those were my special diapers with the pink and blue balloons on them. The Beano will only cause one thing...SBD. Silent But Deadly!

November 27, 2010 at 7:58 am |
  15. Marla

I'll be using left-over ingredients to make soups over the next several days – turkey soup, cream of celery, cream of asparagus, cream of mushroom (who needs Campbell's?)
    We'll also be eating turkey divan and turkey enchiladas. Of course, a turkey salad sandwich with cranberry sauce on the side is great, too. I baked a 12 lb bird for just the two of us so that we can live off it for a week or so.

November 26, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  16. Alicia

I love leftovers. We do just regular leftovers. We do turkey hash (turkey, stuffing, gravy in the oven, serve over mashed potatoes), turkey sandwiches (whether regular sandwich or thanksgiving sandwich with stuffing and cranberry sauce), make soup, etc. We can also throw it into other meals and it will easily feed us for a week without getting bored of it.

November 26, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  17. Mel

We always have Thanksgiving at our house because my husband would go into deep depression without his left overs.He usually cooks the bird,so I guess left overs are his reward.

November 26, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  18. Jean

i love leftovers. turkey or ham sandwich for lunch with some macaroni. some soup made with the turkey for dinner. and if i have leftovers in the fridge tomorrow the turkey will get chopped up along with the ham and go into a big pot of yellow rice with some chicken or steak for dinner. we had macaroni, ham, turkey, yams, rice, and greens but the only leftovers were the meats.

November 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  19. andy

leftover Turkey should be sent to Haiti!

November 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
  20. Jude

turkey and allot of hellmans.

November 26, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  21. Nikki

I eat turkey all year

November 26, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  22. mamacat2187

Gotta have the leftovers!! Gotta have the post-Thanksgiving Dagwood sammich, with turkey, ham, salame, cheese and potato salad!!! And warsh it down with some warm egg nog!

November 26, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  23. Truth

My bride brought all of ours to her shop to have for lunch with the co-workers. On one hand, it is a bummer, since no turkey sandwich tonight. OTOH, it is good to see that she liked it, and even better that nothing will go to waste.

BTW Kat, caught you on the telly yesterday and you came off EXACTLY as i imagined. You are a complete natural!

November 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

Aw! You're very kind to watch. Thank you!

November 26, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
    • OPoe

Oh! That would have been fun to see! I am sorry I missed it...

November 27, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  24. RabiaDiluvio

Leftovers are very important in our house. We get at least 4 meals off of every turkey, plus a pot of soup from the bones and whatever meat might be left over. I LOVE leftovers. I won't eat it for every meal until it is gone (a person needs variety) but I would definitely miss leftovers if they were not there.

November 26, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
    • kg

try creamed turkey... white sauce with s & p, turkey and some frozen mixed veggies... serve on toast or toasted bun/bagel

November 26, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
      • RabiaDiluvio

I've done that too.

November 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
    • Craftycaper

Go to finecooking .com I used a recipe for leftover turkey. It was called turkey noodle casserole it is excellent and a change from the usual turkey leftover meals that we are used to eating.

November 27, 2010 at 7:44 am |
  25. Harry

Turkey Sammich the day after for lunch!!!! Oh yeah!!!

November 26, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
    • leftover

oh ya.... with sliced stuffing and cranberry sause on top.... wish I had one right now!!!!

November 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  26. condimentking

Leftovers are amazing...but i can't enjoy them, because my familyate all of the turkey, potatoes, stuffing, yams,...shall i go on?

November 26, 2010 at 1:26 pm |
  27. JJ

My wife always says I'm spoiled because I dislike leftovers. The only exceptions I make are for Thanksgiving and Christmas.....

November 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
  28. Evil Grin

If you have enough left over you can make it into a completely different meal, like turkey soup. As long as I don't have to eat exactly the same thing over and over, I'm fine with leftovers. I do that with just about anything I make if I can't make small portions of it.

November 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
    • JP

We take the leftover turkey and dressing (Canadian meat dressing) and bake it in a pie. A family favorite.

November 26, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
      • Evil Grin

Sounds really good.

November 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
      • AS

we do something very similar!

November 26, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
  29. Melissa

They are only good for so long. Maybe a day, then its garbage.

November 26, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
  30. Marta

I just had my "Puerto Rican" leftovers for lunch... Rice with green peas;macaroni salad, turkey and a cheese custard for dessert!! Everything was delish!!!

November 26, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

Um, I can come over to your house for lunch, please?

November 26, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
      • Jenny

I admire those who can cook good foods.

November 27, 2010 at 2:32 am |