Lick the screen – Tofurky
November 26th, 2010

Why yes. Yes in fact we are intimating that the sight of a gorgeously browned Tofurky might actually activate your salivary glands. It might have something to do with our being on the verge of shrieking aloud if we see one more picture of a turkey, but it's also that when CNN tech whiz Andrew Bergmann sent us this photo on Thanksgiving, we actually put down our pie forks and gasped aloud.

Did you tofu over T-Day or was it strictly carnivore city, baby?

Posted by:
Filed under: Holidays • Lick the Screen • Thanksgiving • Think • Vegetarian

1. Harriet Glasscock

mmmmmm that looks like what I just dropped in my tolite! Just saying (:

December 22, 2010 at 9:23 am | Reply
  2. JuanitaBeasley

I don't know about soy's being unhealthy, but both my mother and sister stopped eating soy for hormonal reasons. I still drink soymilk and tofu, but because of the 'roundup ready' soybeans, I now only eat soy products labeled "organic." I'm not against GMO. Science is great!

But because of the resistance to herbicide, farmers tend to use more chemicals on "roundup ready" products. That means more herbicides in the final product and that doesn't sit well with me. I try to avoid non-organic corn products for the same reason.

I abhor turkey. They're mean birds, and I had to prepare the raw ones as a child. I'm traumatised for life, and the smell of turkey disgusts me. Nevertheless, I am a carnivore, and I eat/drink soy products because I like the taste. I also drink cow's milk, and I like cornish game hens instead of turkey for holidays. Those taste milder.

But if Tofurkey produced an organic product, I might try it.

December 21, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Reply
  3. Jenna

I had a tofurky AND a field roast, and both were better than any turkey I've ever eaten. I'm pretty sure I'm never going back to turkey for the holidays (or ever :)

December 16, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Reply
  4. Pommie

We do Tofurky on Thanks giving or Xmas if I can't be bothered to create something wonderous from scratch. To me, it tastes nothing like turkey, nor is the texture anywhere close, so I'm not eating it to "replace" turkey. It is just an easy, reasonably tasty and "festive" (since we don't eat it any other time of the year) thing to have for a holiday meal. My son only likes the tofu part, my daughter only likes the stuffing!

December 8, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  5. jillmarie

Actually, I don't crave meat, I happen to be a vegetarian who likes Tofurky during the holiday. I like soy-based proteins because they are nutritious. Tofurkey also comes with a delicious wild rice stuffing. I respect the opinions of others. I have a client who is Jewish and avoids pork. The company I work for has lots of meatless sausage in their food, and she won't order it due to association. I tell her it's no big deal, do what's comfortable for you.
    I refuse to "Just eat meat" because I like tofurky because of my personal beliefs. I don't judge others so I won't go into those beliefs, as they are personal.

December 1, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Reply
  6. KrissyStar

Really what is the point of tofu that taste like turkey???
    I am a vegatarian, the thought of eating something that taste like meat is discusting... Really just eat meat if you like the taste..

December 1, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  7. jillmarie

Fun! How was yours?

November 29, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Reply
    • Truth@jillmarie

Very nice, I bagged my limit of pheasant and was home by noon to cook dinner for my bride. Now we will have pheasant for Xmas.

November 29, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Reply
  8. jillmarie

LOVE tofurky! I didn't bring it to T-day dinner, but I made some to enjoy myself the day after.

November 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Reply
    • Truth@jillmarie

And jsut how was your Thanky-G?

November 29, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  9. abbyful

No tofu for me EVER. I avoid soy unless it is fermented (ex: tempeh, miso, soy sauce). Soy is not nearly as healthy as it's been marketed to be, in fact, it's downright bad for you. It acts as an anti-nutrient, blocking your body from absorbing nutrients from other foods. It also has estrogen-like properties to it. And it contains substances that block receptors in your brain responsible for memory and decision making.

November 29, 2010 at 10:35 am | Reply
    • Evil Grin

I actually heard that bit about soy affecting memory recently. I love soy products so I find it a shame, but I was going to look up some studies to find out what they tested and what results they came to just to be sure. I guess I'll alter what I eat if that turns out to be true.

November 29, 2010 at 11:00 am | Reply
    • demirep

is this really true? do you have any links to any articles or studies to support this?

December 15, 2010 at 4:54 am | Reply
    • Jenna

First, I'd like to see the research on that... I guarantee that you cannot make such sweeping claims on the basis of scientific findings. But even if you can, those statements are nothing in comparison to the dangers of eating meat. In terms of leading to obesity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure AND carrying a significantly greater risk of food poisoning... meat always comes in last in terms of health... No matter how healthy you think your grilled chicken or "lean" beef is.

December 16, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Reply
      • JuanitaBeasley

I agree 100%.

December 21, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Reply
  10. Name*Julie gold

I enjoyed that very tofurky with my brother Andrew bergmann. After some experimenting he has perfected the timing. Succulent, juicy, simply delicious. Tech-whiz, Tofurky-master!

November 27, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Reply
  11. Truth@Kat

BTW Kat, I meant to say taht I liked your editorial note to vegans to NOT act all militant on Thanksgiving. Have to wonder how many actually took that bit of advice...

November 27, 2010 at 11:26 am | Reply