Breakfast buffet
November 26th, 2010

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday and the most delicious finds on TV.

November 26 is a day worth slicing into - it's National Cake Day.

You eat it on birthdays and anniversaries, at weddings and celebrations, and during a co-worker’s final day at work. You eat it when you’re young, old and in-between. It’s your go-to comfort food – the food you eat after a big meal with friends or a stressful day at the office.

Cake comes in all shapes, sizes and varieties. Cheesecakes to sponge cakes, sheet cakes to bundt cakes – it’s a versatile dessert loved by almost everyone.

Cover yours in frosting, fruit and icing, and as Marie Antoinette (supposedly) said, “Let them eat cake!”

What's on TV?

“James and the Giant Peach” – Encore, 7:10 a.m. ET
James, a young orphan, takes the world’s biggest peach on a journey to escape his wicked aunts.

“In Search of Perfection” – Planet Green, 7:30 a.m. ET
Heston Blumenthal travels to Delhi to learn about the roots of Chicken Tikka Masala.

“Rachael Ray Show” – NBC, check local listings
Buddy Valastro, the Cake Boss, gives some dessert ideas for kids.

“At The Table With…” – Cooking Channel, 12 p.m. ET
Art Smith went from small town Florida to Oprah’s personal chef. Now, he has three published cookbooks and three restaurants under his belt.

“No Reservations” – Lifetime, 9 p.m. ET
An emotional chef becomes her niece’s sole guardian and faces chaos both at home and at her restaurant.

1. RichardHead @AD

Good Morning Sunshine. About time you rolled in. Did you change Symon"s diaper?

November 29, 2010 at 10:17 am |
    • AuroraDawn

LOL Good mornin' Yes....Symon has been well taken care of....although he's in a terrible state of disrepair since...."the incident" LOL So what are your big plans for the day???

November 29, 2010 at 10:27 am |
      • RichardHead @AD

Gotta stock up on treats for WD,hit the bank,do laundry and leave early tomorrow for Plant City FL. Texans are going crazy for O.J. this time of year. Gotta be a Vodka thing.

November 29, 2010 at 10:34 am |
  2. AuroraDawn

So...um USA TODAY??? LOL How is everyone this fine Monday morning??? I am sipping my Chai, kicking back inmy office,because...drumroll please Bob is off again!!!! Anyway, hope you all had a great weekend!!!

November 29, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  3. RichardHead @Truth

Saw where the 49'ers were considering Gruden or Harbaugh. I still think J.J. will let Garret go and he will go to the 49'ers. I'm afraid Tony Dungy is just tired right now. Maybe another year off and he'll start looking. If the Broncos would give Cowher complete control it would be a perfect fit.

November 29, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  4. RichardHead@Truth

Uh-Oh, That's all we'll be hearing about today. What happened to the Broncos? At least we had fisticuffs at the Houston game.

November 29, 2010 at 9:03 am |
    • Truth@RichHead

The Broncos are done like dinner. Between the horrible play on the field, and the taping scandal off the field, I think McDaniels should be shown the door. Lots of rumblings about Cowher, but I am hoping for Dungy.

November 29, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  5. Truth@RichHead

'Morning all...A VERY cold morning here in the MHC. A little snow last night as well.

And I am sure that AD is all happy...Yesterday's USA Weekend section had a cover shot of Symon. Look for it online if you did not see.

November 29, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  6. RichardHead

Drama free here also. I was at the shelter with Wonder Dog. Truth was freezing his azz off hunting and rockin out to John Denver. Timmy/Tommy wasn't around much this weekend tho today is a different day.

November 29, 2010 at 8:09 am |
    • Jerv

Yeah, another day, we'll see if he rears his ugly little head. Having a hard time getting motivated today. Think I'll step out and get a coke. Maybe that will help. Talk with you later.

November 29, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  7. Jerv

Great holiday. Completely drama free. How was yours? Is it you or Truth that volunteers at a shelter? LOL! Yeah, I read that post where she lit him up like a christmas tree. Good stuff.
    Noticed that Timm/Tommy Troll posting under various names trying to harass her. Don't know why some folks have to be so mean.

November 29, 2010 at 8:05 am |
  8. RichardHead

Good Morning Jerv-How'd the holiday go? Nothing exciting around here except AD knocked some guy out. A Worthy Muskateer she has become. Hope Kat got some sleep "cuz she worked her tail off Weds. and Thurs.

November 29, 2010 at 7:47 am |
  9. Jerv

Good morning.

Did anyone spatchcock their turkey for Thanksgiving?

November 29, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  10. tj

cake...yummy..;0

November 26, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  11. RichardHead@AD

Made ya Blush!

November 26, 2010 at 10:47 am |
    • AuroraDawn

LMAO It sure did!!!

November 26, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  12. Truth@RichHead, SirBiddle, AD

Reminds me of a lady I used to go with back in the late 1980s, who was an army reservist and a member of law enforcement. We were comparing weapons when she showed me the piece she keeps in her nightstand. I admired and told her "Remind me to always be a gentleman"...;)

November 26, 2010 at 10:37 am |
    • AuroraDawn

LOL My goodness. I'm loyal though, I limit my "hittin' it" to Michael Symon!!! LOL Also, the only thing in my nightstand is a book, and some Advil! LOL

November 26, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  13. RichardHead@Truth,SirB

Just wanted to warn you guys that AD hit it with Symon yesterday! She is becoming a worthy adversary.

November 26, 2010 at 10:33 am |
  14. AuroraDawn

Truth, you are right. I couldn't tell you the last time I had a hand written letter. Facebook is good/bad.

November 26, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  15. Sir Biddle@truth,RH

Did the same search on FB and agree there were way too many to narrow it down. Figure he is in good hands as the holidays are tough times for those with addictions and where he is is likely ready. At a minimum, he'll have them all laughing.

November 26, 2010 at 10:07 am |
    • Truth@RichHead, SirBiddle

And laughter will be key. I have friends in the program, and some of the best humor I have heard is at meetings. I think if he goes in with the right attitude, he will be running the place by the time he leaves.

November 26, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  16. RichardHead@Truth

I'm not on there either and made a fake profile just to see the pics. Lindsey Lohan got released so he won't be chasing her around.

November 26, 2010 at 10:05 am |
    • AuroraDawn

I love FB!!! I get to keep in touch with all my friends....cheaper than long distance!!!! I wish him and the missus all the best. It must be hard especially at this time of year. He is doing the right thing though.

November 26, 2010 at 10:13 am |
      • Truth@Aurora

I think it is pretty much a woman thing. My sister is on, and is trying to get me on, but I just don't see the point. I think Betty White had the right idea.

If I want to reach out, there is the phone, email, or good old pen and paper...:)

November 26, 2010 at 10:16 am |
      • Evil Grin

@Truth or other less obnoxious social networks. I think I'm just one of those people who likes things less the more popular they become, but Facebook and MySpace hold no appeal for me, while I'm active on other less known social network/blog sites.

November 26, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  17. Truth@RichHead

Maybe...I am the last person in America who will be on FB, so I could not find. I used "the google" and found a couple of references, but no pics. Am wishing him the best though. Doing thirty day at this time of year cannot be eeasy.

November 26, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  18. RichardHead@Truth

Went on FB page yesterday looking under JB names. Too many listed and could only find one that fit Jdizz description. Had on slacks a red shirt and tie. Think that is our Bro?

November 26, 2010 at 9:50 am |
    • Evil Grin

He gave us his facebook name on a thread just before he left. I'll see if I can find it for you. I'm with Truth on not joining FB ever, so I didn't write it down or anything, but I remember seeing it.

November 26, 2010 at 10:24 am |
      • Evil Grin

Oh, wait, sounds like you do know it. Never mind.

November 26, 2010 at 11:10 am |
      • RichardHead@EG

Thanks EG. The guy's picture I saw had the features of someone from Alaska.He fit the right age group yet no personal info was listed so I am just assuming. How'd your Turkey Day go?

November 26, 2010 at 11:17 am |
      • Evil Grin

Hope that's him, then. You'll know for sure on his triumphant return.

My day went well. I spent it with a friend. How did yours go? Lots of family feuding?

November 26, 2010 at 11:27 am |
      • RichardHead@EG

Everything went well until the eggnog farts started.

November 26, 2010 at 11:32 am |
      • Evil Grin

Ah... this is why you should have an exit excuse planned well ahead of time. Maybe one of your neighbors would do the honor, "Hello? Oh hi, Mr. Nextdoor... what? My house is on fire? Thanks for letting me know. Gotta go mom, thanks for dinner..."

November 26, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  19. AuroraDawn

And you are???? You are a sad,man Timmy/Uncle Z whatever personality you're wearing today. You still don't bother me. You're a joke and everyone here knows it. Be nasty all you want to me, it's so boring but it gives me something to read.

November 26, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  20. AuroraDawn

LOL Should be there any minute!!!!

November 26, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  21. RichardHead@AD

BTW,What time is FedEX to deliver today as I am OUT of PIE?

November 26, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  22. AuroraDawn

....Cake day....I like cake...does it deserve a day??? I'm not sure. LOL

November 26, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  23. RichardHead

National Cake Day? Fiqured it would be National Leftover Day as I can't wait for a Turkey sandwich-without the eggnog!

November 26, 2010 at 9:14 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,304 other followers