The Fabulous Beekman Boys: It's not Thanksgiving without...
November 25th, 2010

Even the most adventurous eaters often give their inner food warrior the day off on Thanksgiving - nothing but the same turkey, stuffing (or dressing!), cranberries, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie they've been eating since childhood. If one of those dishes goes missing, the whole meal just doesn't feel right.

For Dr. Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell co-stars of Planet Green's "The Fabulous Beekman Boys," the must-have item is something that's much-maligned.

Take it away, Boys...

It's not Thanksgiving without fruitcake. Yes. We said it. Fruitcake.

We are fairly fastidious with our post-gluttony ritual. We fastidiously clean the kitchen and dining room of any vestiges of the dietary travesties recently occurring there.

We then plop ourselves in front of the TV and throw in a DVD.

Our holidays don't really begin until we hear Geraldine Page utter "It's fruitcake weather, Buddy".

We've been together for 10 Thanksgivings, and a late night viewing of Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory", has been a part of each and every one.

While others are seeking out doorbusters and blockbusters on Black Friday, we'll be elbow-deep in fruit macerated in brandy. You tell us who will be more in the holiday spirit by the end of the day.

Submit your own "It's not Thanksgiving without..." story on iReport

Watch The Fabulous Beekman Boys' Fabulous Holiday Special premiering on Planet Green Dec 8 at 9:00pm or visit their farm online at beekman1802.com

1. Eileen Steinkamp

I love fruitcake and always order it every year from some wonderful monks somewhere (can't remember where at the moment because I'm out of town). I would definitely make my own if I had the Beekman Boys recipe!!!!

December 1, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  2. Patty

The one's I always remembered were ok, and if you don't care for fruitcake ( which seem to last forever) as I don't, you can always use it as a doorstop...Works great...So I hope the Beekman Boys have come up with a much better one...lol

December 1, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Reply
  3. Amy

It's true, their fruitcake is so delicious. Personally, I've never had a good fruitcake–but as soon as I saw that the boys had made one I knew I had to try it.

November 26, 2010 at 11:48 am | Reply
  4. Teri Tighe

Believe me AuroraDawn, this fruitcake is wonderful. It's almost like fruitbread (think banana bread, pumpkin bread, etc.) but with fruit bits.

November 26, 2010 at 11:11 am | Reply
  5. AuroraDawn

Thanks Kat! I'll give it a try for sure.

November 26, 2010 at 10:15 am | Reply
  6. AuroraDawn

Fruitcake.....not a personal fave. Not a fan of candied fruit and peel. Strikes me as more traditionally Christmasy.....now if someone has a really amazing recipe,unlike the 40lb leaden bricks of my youth....I'd give it a shot.

November 26, 2010 at 7:14 am | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Let me see if I can wrangle their fruitcake recipe. I've had it, and it's my favorite of all time.

November 26, 2010 at 10:10 am | Reply
    • George Michael

I'd hit the one with the pretty orange scarf in a public bathroom , with or without the fruitcake.

December 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Reply
      • AuroraDawn

LOL George you sound vaguely familiar from somewhere!

December 1, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Reply