T minus 1 – your Thanksgiving mantras
November 24th, 2010

So – this is happening, whether you're ready or not. Ya know what? You'll be fine - no matter if you're hosting 30+ guests or are just expected to show up with a half-slurped can of Four Loko and deal with the whims and expectations of a potentially harried host.

Here's why: you're not alone. Not only are millions of people across the United States encountering the same stresses (and delights) - you've got Eatocracy on your side. We'll be at the ready, starting Wednesday afternoon through Thursday, via comments or on Twitter @eatocracy to offer culinary triage (zOMG! The turkey is still frozen and the gravy skinned over!), hosting wreck-checks (No, seriously, it's TOTALLY FINE if two people show up with Jell-O pretzel salad. And there's a gentle way to keep Uncle Merv from telling his room-clearing jokes. Everyone will emerge unscathed.) and just plain ol' sanity, solidarity and a few good jokes.

We've got plenty of fun surprises planned, but in the meantime, consider printing out these mantras and cross-stitching them on throw pillows or possibly taking them to the tattoo parlor:

1. Don't be a martyr, be a host.
2. You can never, ever have too much ice.
3. If they're your guests, they're very likely rooting for you.
4. Accepting offers of Thanksgiving help is a sign of sanity & inclusion not weakness.
5. There is no such thing as too much stock or too many containers for leftovers.

And a word to the wise - the sooner you get a beverage or appetizer into your guests' hands, or assign them the task of doing so, the more quickly they'll ease into the swing of things.

Un-buckle up, follow our ongoing Thanksgiving advice, and get set to have an absolutely delicious day.

- Guzzle wine advice from Terroir and Food & Wine
- Consider brining or smoking that bird
- Protect your pumpkin pie from TSA travel policies
- Craft a chess pie
- Get prep work out of the way
- Make some serious gravy
- Serve up some easy appetizers
- Keep it gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly
- Thaw that bird, even if it seems too late in the game
- Distract a guest who's being a pain in the pope's nose
- Serve up cold-weather drinks or chilled-out celebration cocktails
- After that, get a tipsy guest safely home

Posted by:
Filed under: Feature • Holiday • Holidays • Recipes • T Minus • Thanksgiving • Thanksgiving

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. jillmarie

Thank goodness I'm not hosting- there's a power outage where I live! I feel sorry for the people who are though!
    I always think of what I have gratitude for each T-day. Last year it was self-reliance. This year... I'll think of it by tommorrow!

November 24, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  2. lisa r

@sallyLouise, recent deaths do seem to bring the "holidays" into reality, we also had lost 2 dear sisters-in-law over this past summer and are still mourning as well. we have all been trying to remember what they would have wanted us to be like and are moving through the season with love and understanding. i am sure your mother would want to see you and your family happy. Happy Thanksgiving and all the best to your family and all posters as well....

November 24, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  3. Andrea M

I did my first last year and really, my best advice is to consult Google on everything. If you take about 6 recipes and combine all the best tasting elements, you're virtually guaranteed to have something edible. Rest in peace, Roderic, my turkey of last ear.

November 24, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
  4. SallyLouis

It is disgusting how much food is wasted on one holiday a year in this country. People are starving all over the world, adn we are sitting here stuffing our faces. I could buy food for a week on what I will spend on tomorrow. Yes, I am a grouch, I hate this holiday, but for the sake of peace in the world, I will visit my daughter's house, who loves the holiday food.

November 24, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
    • AuroraDawn

Sally there are so few occasions in the year to really celebrate. Try to stay positive,and have a great time with your daughter. It is an expense for most people,but a worthwhile one.

November 24, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
      • SallyLouis

We lost our mother to Alzheimer's in July. It is the first holiday season without her, even tho she had been in a nursing home for a number of years. I think that is the underlying problem.

November 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
    • blah9999

Bush's fault

November 24, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • Snowbunny

I'm sorry to hear that. My grandma has that and it's awful. She can't remember anything and is VERY confused. :(

November 24, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  5. razzlea

check out my health and fitness blog http://razzlea.blogspot.com/

November 24, 2010 at 11:04 am |
  6. Dimitrios

http://amzn.to/aV2dQa Funny, touching, memorable short Thanksgiving stories about holiday disasters, family & friends

November 24, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  7. Eric

@Robby...The book seems funny, I checked out the site, but there seems to be a mention of this book on every food thred here on CNN, are you the author or something? LOL anyway Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

November 24, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  8. Daniel

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone thanks for the tips

November 24, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  9. grammar police

Proof again.

November 24, 2010 at 6:28 am |
  10. Panda Bears!

What is this?!! T

November 24, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  11. Lilly

Spam or not. it was hilarious!

November 24, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  12. Jerv

Seen dozens of this post the past week. Some kind of spam to sell a book.

November 24, 2010 at 9:50 am |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,310 other followers