Fame Bites - Dean McDermott
November 22nd, 2010

Fame Bites goes inside the belly of the entertainment beast. We're dishing out where the celebrities are eating, what they're eating and who they're eating with.

Dean McDermott and his wife Tori Spelling are the stars and executive producers of Oxygen's "Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood," which is currently in its sixth season. Along with being a reality star, turns out McDermott is a budding culinary star in his own right.

We recently caught up with the film and television actor for some food for talk - and came away craving steak, homemade ice cream and wanting to hug Jamie Oliver more than we already did to begin with.

One food that reminds you of Tori...

"Anything with truffles – just this morning, we bought a little truffle cutting board with a glass dome and a tiny grater. It’s a genius invention. I could smell the truffle. She is a truffle fanatic. We have truffles in Italian food, salads, to sushi. One of our favorite restaurants is Katsuya and they have a truffle and garlic olive oil sashimi."

Favorite Los Angeles restaurant?

"There are so many great places for a great meal, but my favorite restaurant is more sentimental than anything. It’s an Italian restaurant called Trattoria Amici. It represents certain things that I’ve done with Tori. We have family dinners there, we have romantic dinners there. It facilitates what we are and what we’ve become as husband and wife, and as parents."

Last meal that made you cry?

"On our third wedding anniversary we were at Mr. Chow’s and T[ori] gave me a Cartier roadster watch - and I love watches. I’m wearing it right now, I absolutely adore it. That made me cry - I can’t believe someone loves me this much to give me such a beautiful gift and wow, I have a Cartier watch!"

Dream dinner date

"Of course with my wife - would love to do something out the box. My dream date would be to get a beautiful room at a hotel in Beverly Hills and pick a menu from Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsay and have that dinner in bed together. I’ve met Gordon Ramsay, he is super nice. I would love to meet Jamie Oliver and Bobby Flay.

Jamie Oliver got me back into cooking - when I was eighteen, after my mom died, I was living with one of my sisters and I was desperate for a part-time job. I applied for a restaurant that was opening from the ground up [and] took a job as a dishwasher. After a few days they put me on the front line and I made it up to second cook, then first cook. It was a high-end steak restaurant. I cooked 500 to 800 steak a night. During the day, to make more money, I would work as the prep chef.

Jamie Oliver’s cookbook 'Jamie’s Kitchen' - I just jumped into that and just started cooking and loved it. And now it has snowballed - I want to get my chef papers. Once I can string together nine months, I’m going to do that."

What is your favorite recipe to cook for your family?

"I love cooking for my family. With French toast, I color it, I design it - I’ve made plaid French toast once. I started dying French toast red - I tweeted about it and it’s really simple. Whether crispy fried salmon with vegetable broth or French toast, I really love to have fun while cooking.

I try to encourage people to get in the kitchen because if I can do it with a basic background in cooking, making mistakes is how you learn. I got this recipe for country sausage and homemade baked beans. The sausage I picked was really bad - it was very oily. The baked beans were with smoked paprika, and you’ve really got to be careful with that. If you use more than the recipe calls for, it’ll make your meal taste like you dumped too much salt on."

Signature drink

"I used to make a mean chocolate martini and French martini. I usually take a vodka-soda. I made this drink from Jamie Oliver, it’s an iced gin and pomegranate shot - it cleanses your palate. You take a nice shot glass, fill it with pomegranates, crushed ice, and gin - the taste together with pomegranates and the gin, especially a nice one like Bombay Sapphire, is amazing."

Can’t go a day without...

"Well after coffee, I’m a Scotsman and I cannot go a day without some sort of sweet, preferably chocolate. I love chocolate mousse or chocolate pudding. I love burnt almond dark chocolate."

One dish you can’t wait to share with your kids?

"I get them involved with everything - started off with an ice cream maker. A neighbor, when I lived in Canada, would make homemade ice cream with Kit Kats and Butterfingers and I thought, 'man, my kids would love this.' I went out and got an ice cream maker and they went to town. After we make it, we sit down together and eat it - and they are so proud. I get them to scramble eggs, I get them to mix the French toast. They love it."

Devna Shukla is an Associate Producer for CNN's AC360°.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Columns • Fame Bites

1. CJ

Dean & Tori deserve each other. Both are bad actors, cheaters, and have no personalities. I won't watch that ridiculous show of theirs or endorse any products they may be shopping. to the public. America needs to have higher standards and start boycotting crappy shows and bad actors.

November 23, 2010 at 11:10 am |
    • Snowbunny

I agree. Well said!

November 23, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  2. Mok

The best thing Tori did was wear those peach colored skintight pants on the operning credits of 90120

November 23, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  3. Jerv

Good morning. Can't wait for turkey day.

I see they had to shut down the Timmy/Tommy troll again. Makes me wonder about the state of humanity.

I wonder how J-dog-dizz is doing...don't really know the guy but he sure made me split my side laughing.

November 23, 2010 at 7:54 am |
    • AuroraDawn

I miss reading his stuff too. J-Dizz that is not Timmy!! I hope all my American friends have an absolutely wonderful Thanksgiving week!!

November 23, 2010 at 7:58 am |
    • Jerv@AuroraDawn

Why thank you so much.

November 23, 2010 at 8:06 am |
      • AuroraDawn

You're very welcome!

November 23, 2010 at 8:18 am |
        • Jerv@AuroraDawn

Sadly, I have to get some work done today. Maybe J-dog-dizz and the other muskteers will show up at some point today. Looking forward to it. Take care.

November 23, 2010 at 8:21 am |
        • Dr.Phil

Oh, A Canadian EH? Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

November 23, 2010 at 8:23 am |
        • AuroraDawn

Yes, thank you Dr. Phil!! Same back to you and yours!!

November 23, 2010 at 11:42 am |
  4. AuroraDawn

McDermott is a pig. Tori is not much better. Dean had a wife,a son and he and his ex wife were in the process of adopting a little girl when he started having an affair with Tori Spelling on the set of a crappy,Canadian tv movie. They were in my hometown and making no effort to even feign some discretion. He may adore his children with Tori but...only a matter of time till he cheats on her too. As Dr. Phil would say "If they'll do it with you,they'll do it to you". It would look good on both of them. He can't cut it on his own to make a career so yet again he's riding coattails.

November 23, 2010 at 7:40 am |
    • Dr.Phil

Please tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back,just let it all out.

November 23, 2010 at 7:44 am |
      • AuroraDawn

LOL@ Dr.Phil- He's just such a scumbag.

November 23, 2010 at 7:47 am |
    • Lola

Hey, it's not Canadian tv that's crappy!

January 5, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
  5. Kim

Doesn't anyone read into all his responses? He mentions his wife ad nauseum....a transparent attempt at convincing the public he actually loves Tori and is not with her for the fame train. C'mon, Dean....we got your number. When you are true to your feelings and confident – you aren't blasting it all over town with a megaphone. Actions speak louder than words, buddy.

November 23, 2010 at 6:52 am |
  6. the one dude

That timmy kid is pretty pathetic

November 23, 2010 at 4:57 am |
  7. Ann B. Davis

She eats?

November 23, 2010 at 12:00 am |
  8. AuroraDawn

*yawn* boring as per usual.

November 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  9. AuroraDawn

LOL Just couldn't resist could you. You would make a great case study for ...Borderline personality disorder maybe. Your 6th grade remarks don't bother me Timmy. You can use punctuation,and can spell so..you aren't stupid. You're just angry....on a food blog....not sure of the connection. Perhaps your Mommy was a chef that didn't hug you enough...or you're an absolute failure in real life and use this as an outlet. Either way,I hope you get help.

November 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  10. AuroraDawn

Timmy...do you ever tire of being so predictable and stupid? I saw your other posts and well...they aren't maddening or funny...just pathetic attempts at getting a rise out of people. I don't find you offensive...just kind of sad really. You'll undoubtedly have some inane retort to this but....it will just prove me right on your desperate attempt for attention.

November 22, 2010 at 9:43 pm |
  11. chelle

Tori is too good 4 him

November 22, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
  12. Myfriends

What a douchebag!

November 22, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  13. AuroraDawn

LOL@RichardHead Did anyone notice the only time he mentioned Tori,it was in regard to the fact she bought him a Cartier watch??? LMAO Also...why does anyone care about this guy...what has he done to be called an "actor" except really,really bad made for tv crap.

November 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  14. AuroraDawn

Hmmm...maybe he learned his love of cooking from his chef ex-wife Mary Jo Eustace. His current wife,whom he cheated on his ex with is a horse faced undertalented,overexposed celebutard.

November 22, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
    • RichardHead

Thanks for the celebrity update. Now I don't have to watch "The Soup"!

November 22, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  15. jillmarie

I just love Tori and Dean, too! I want to try to make French toast. It's so sweet that he talks so highly of his wife and gets his kids involved with cooking. Can't wait for the next season of T&D! I know, it is amazing to have seen the family through both pregnancies, her reuiniting with her mom, their moving to a new home, and their beautiful vow renewal.

November 22, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
    • Lola

Isn't dumping your kids and first wife just DUCKY and FUN? There is just so much genuine love and respect to share here, isn't there?

January 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  16. marti444

Great stuff! Great to do things with your whole family. I liked watching T&D especially when the show first started. I don't watch anymore because we downgraded our cable and no longer have Oxygen (if that's the right station.) I think they're a great family to watch and I miss watching Stella grow! I was there when she was in the womb and when she was outside the womb! LOL Now I can't see her but when she's in photos with Tori when they're at an event! STELLA!....STELLLAAAAAA! LOL

November 22, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,651 other followers