It's not Thanksgiving without...her mom's gravy
November 20th, 2010

Even the most adventurous eaters often give their inner food warrior the day off on Thanksgiving - nothing but the same turkey, stuffing (or dressing!), cranberries, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie they've been eating since childhood. If one of those dishes goes missing, the whole meal just doesn't feel right.

Other families stray away from the standards - some friends of ours have to have collard greens, whiskey sours and banana pudding for the day to feel right, while another family dives into duck - and develop their own must-indulge traditions.

For iReporter Sandra Kent, her mom's gravy is a must-eat.

My mom's name is Sue Hon Palmer. My mom says her recipe is guess by God. She pours the pan drippings from the roasted turkey into a medium saucepan. The secret ingredient is taking the flour and shaking it in a jar mixed with water or turkey broth until the lumps are gone. The ratio is half liquid and half flour. She says if you just add the flour directly to the drippings the gravy may be lumpy.

After you shake the jar the flour and liquid mixture will be smooth enough to pour into the drippings. Add gradually the flour mixture until the broth thickens. Be sure to stir so the gravy will be smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.

My mom is almost 89, her birthday is in December. So every Thanksgiving she is with us to celebrate our blessings, it's a reason to give thanks. She is very close to Alex and Michael, her grandsons. She still likes to have us all over for Thanksgiving. We usually eat around 1:00.

Sometimes after dinner we play cards or watch a football game. After the meal has settled its time for desert. My mom makes the best pecan, cherry, and pumpkin pie in the world. She makes her crust from scratch. It is always very flaky. Michael's favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner is her homemade dinner rolls. She starts cooking on Tuesday so everything will be just right by Thursday.

Submit your own "It's not Thanksgiving without..." story on iReport

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Holidays • iReport • It's not Thanksgiving without • Thanksgiving

1. Sousou

>Avitable It's from the makers of Bacon Salt. It's rllaey good. We've already ate, like, half the jar and I got it on Wednesday.Cissa I think #1 is probably very much true. And I'm trying to do different bloggers every week, but when eventually I'll recycle, and when I do, I'll let you know.Howard Thanks for playing! I'm glad you stopped by, I've added you to my feed reader and I'll be around. Sizzle No problem. Glad I could wrestle you away from your staycation long enough to get you to answer some questions. RTK You're in for the next one!

December 25, 2012 at 9:49 am |
  2. Julie Runnels

Sandra, wonderful rticle. I remember your Mom's desserts for sure!! You have got to get the receipes and give out to your friends! Great article about a wonderful woman and her sweet, sweet daughter!

November 27, 2011 at 3:19 am |
  3. sockpuppet

you don't need to pre shake flour in a jar with water if you just use a wisk when you add it to the pan...that will remove the lumps just fine

November 22, 2011 at 4:47 am |
  4. mary campbell

Would love her dinner rolll recipie! Thanks, Mary

November 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  5. Michael

Just a note that may have been missed- once you add flour or cornstarch, you need to bring the gravy to a boil in order to get the thickening action to take place! So, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and then you're good.

November 2, 2011 at 10:59 am |
  6. Clara McPherson

Sandra, thank you for sharing the story of your wonderful mother. I am Sue's first cousin and have kept in close contact with her by long-distance phone calls, e-mail, and personal visits. Sue and I have lived in different states since 1949.

Sue has always been my cooking mentor, She makes hot rolls, cakes, pies I have many of her recipes....all of which are family favorites.. I make gravy like Sue does.

I am blessed to be related to Sue and her children. Sandra is very good to her mother.

Clara McPherson

February 2, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • Sandra Kent

Clara,
      Thank you for the sweet words. You have been a sister to my mom over the years. She has depended upon you for your phone calls you are so faithful to make. I am so thankful you are apart of her life and my family. Yes everyone loves my mom's pies, rolls, and delicious food.

February 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  7. Happy Thanksgiving!

What a BEAUTIFUL smile she has! She is just LOVELY! You are SO BLESSED to have a Mother like her. I have always wondered how to make good gravy ~ I printed out her recipe along with her picture and she WILL be a part of our Thanksgivings from now on... I wish everyone could have a Mom like her. Thank you for letting us "meet her" and please tell her "Thank You!" for her recipe! Maybe my kids will eat my gravy now?!? and if I live to be 89, I can only hope that I will have that RADIANT a smile and my children will LOVE me as dearly as you LOVE HER!!!

November 24, 2010 at 1:13 am |
  8. razzlea

CHeck out my blog about health and fitness-http://razzlea.blogspot.com/

November 22, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  9. laine

we all love this..

November 21, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
    • HH

THANK YOU! No more lumpy gravy! I have a large supply of canning jars that are perfect for this.

Happy Thanksgiving, Mrs. Palmer, and may you have many, many more. Thanks.

November 22, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  10. RichardHead

Did somebody say Cherry Pie? Ya'll keep lovin on this Grandma as she is a keeper. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday!

November 20, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,315 other followers