Lunchtime poll – Ack! I forgot the...
November 19th, 2010

OMG, I forgot the turkey for Thanksgiving!

OK, so I’ve never really been so forgetful to as to not have a naked, yellow-pinkish, featherless, defrosted bird in the house on Turkey Day. But there have been so many other things that I have sent family and friends searching for in cities where grocery stores close for the holiday.

Now convenience stores may have milk and butter, but try to find a bottle of sage, thyme or nutmeg at these tiny shops. Buying aluminum foil or an extra pie pan can also be a challenge.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Holidays • HolidayShopping • Lunchtime Poll • Thanksgiving

1. Susan

If I don't have it we don't serve it. The bigger problem is making something and then leaving it in the garage fridge and forgetting about it until the next day. That's when I call "do over"!

November 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  2. Mike

My Father used to bake around 130 Turkeys for thanksgiving and Christmas (Business). I worked there also and the smell permeated to my bones. I can't eat turkey to this day. That was 50 years ago. Give me a stuffed hamburger.

November 22, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  3. TellMeNoLies

I've been cooking Thanksgiving dinner almost every year for 30 years,I can do it with my eyes closed....lol...I haven't forgotten anything for years,and I make everything from scratch starting the day before....but the first ten years or so, problems came up......so hang in there,people eventually you'll be perfect!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

November 21, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
  4. runsoutside

butter and broth!

November 21, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  5. Leslie

Never forgot ingredients. However, one year I did cook the turkey with the giblets securely tucked in their plastic bag in the neck of the turkey. I took everything out of the cavity to season the bird but completely forgot about the neck cavity. word to the wise, it does not ruin the turkey!!! The turkey was fine but I did throw out the giblets, no loss in my opinion. Never been a giblets girl.

November 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  6. Marianne

Don't you hate it when people try to force you to take a recipe you didn't ask for? If the food was really delicious, we'll beg for it.

November 21, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  7. Marianne

Turkey skewers and thread to tie the turkey closed

November 21, 2010 at 8:07 am |
  8. Botch

I forgot to invite any guests.
    Damn, I was full; and I had leftovers that lasted until January!

November 20, 2010 at 11:10 pm |
  9. OPoe

We always forget to turn on the radio for "Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie. It's tradition here. Thank you YOU TUBE for making Thanksgiving Complete.

November 20, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  10. friday's girl

I forgot to leave the deer stand last Thanksgiving. Instead I spent a lovely day with a few squirrels, some blue jays and three does who couldn't attract any of their boyfriends for me!

November 20, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
    • RichardHead

The NEW Oprahs BOOK Club.

November 20, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  11. Mel

I'm not lazy but I can't make gray if I had too...I do buy the jar gravy and everyone is happy with that.
    Everything else is made from scratch. My Mom tried several times to teach me to make gray and it was awlful – hers was always delishous! lol

November 20, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
  12. Kana

How about not worrying about the commerciality that is imposed on the holiday nad just enjoy your family and freins or whoever you may be with.

November 20, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  13. HeartofNC

In-Laws didn't make GRAVY – who doesn't make GRAVY? Are you kidding? I looked everywhere in their little bitty town for GRAVY or mix or whatever! there was nothing in the house to make gravy with as they deep fried the turkey extra long to make sure it was done. (read dry) I keep gravy mix with me at all times when I go there for a holiday meal (there are REASONS for gravy mix sometimes) and they had that slicing dressing too, niice and dryyy...

November 19, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
    • Anon_e_mouse

Maybe it's because I had too many meals of bread and gravy as a kid, but this is one North Carolina boy who just does not like gravy. I can make it (and I do, when I make sauerbraten, because my wife likes it with that), but I don't bother at Thanksgiving because no one really cares... the turkey is moist and we don't serve white potatoes, so it's not needed.

November 19, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
  14. YoJax

I have been coming to this food blog for a while now but have yet to post anything. I love the columns and best of all, I love reading all the comments. It has me in hysterics most of the time. Keeps me coming back for more :D

November 19, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  15. Jim X

Gravy mix? stuffing mix? What, people are so lazy or can't cook the simplest things anymore?

November 19, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
1 2
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,320 other followers