5@5 is a daily, food-related list from chefs, writers, political pundits, musicians, actors, and all manner of opinionated people from around the globe.
Barbara Fairchild joined the team at Bon Appétit magazine in 1978 - and 22 years later, in 2000, she became the magazine's editor-in-chief. Now, after 32 years at Bon Appétit - serving the last ten at the helm - Barbara Fairchild is moving on.
That's not to say that more than three decades at a food magazine doesn't create some sweet memories along the way. She chronicles such in her new cookbook Bon Appétit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful.
Join her on a sweet trip down memory lane, won't you?
My Five Favorite Dessert Memories During My 32 Years at Bon Appétit: Barbara Fairchild
1. "Well, probably one of the most well-known cakes in the book is the 'Spiced Chocolate Torte Wrapped in Chocolate Ribbons.' It was on the cover of the magazine in December 1984 and remains, in my opinion, the recipe we have received the most reader mail about, ever. In a good way!"
2. "I love lemon, and so the double lemon bars really stand out. Also, the lemon shortbread squares because they are so easy to make."
3. "Cheesecake is another favorite of mine, and always a great party dessert since everyone feels very indulgent eating it. This time of year's real winner is the 'Pumpkin Cheesecake with Marshmallow-Sour Cream Topping and Gingersnap Crust'. It just tastes like the holidays to me."
4. "Can the classic chocolate chip cookie get any better? Yes, it can: When you add oats, almonds and dried tart cherries. Wow - that recipe is just genius."
5. "Tres leches cakes are so popular right now. I’m seeing them everywhere, and not just in Mexican restaurants. I love the one that we had in the magazine not too long ago, and now it’s in the book, too. That caramel flavor you get from the milk trio: it’s subtle, elusive - just unique."
You want recipes, you say? Right this way: 'Bon Appétit Desserts' recipe redux.
Is there someone you'd like to see in the hot seat? Let us know in the comments below and if we agree, we'll do our best to chase 'em down.
There are certainly a number of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a nice level to convey up. I offer the ideas above as common inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you convey up the place an important factor will probably be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged round issues like that, however I'm sure that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys really feel the influence of only a second�s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.
Tres Leche? Horrible..an apt description...stale white cake that's then soaked in milk. Travel extensively through Central and South America and never had a piece of this dessert that I would feed to my dog...and I love cake and milk!
Feels like the end of an era. I have so much respect for Ms. Fairchild and have the same feeling that I had when Gourmet left us. I wish her the best of luck in her new endeavors.
I love to prepare desserts but unfortunately my boyfriend doesn't eat sweet stuff (oddly enough when I prepare something for myself though he gobbles it all up leaving me with nothing). It's so easy to prepare pretty much any dessert you want with just regular things you have in the kitchen. When I don't have time to make crepes, or won-ton dough, I replace them with a flour tortilla, the thin and chewy kind. I like to caramelize a tortilla, wrap it up and fill it with home made fruit filling with ice cream on top. Also, one tortilla with cheese inside folded in half and fried briskly in butter topped with honey is delicious. Not as good as cheese filled wontons but a good substitute.
I will definitely be making that pumpkin cheesecake! Marshmallow-sour cream topping?! Can't wait! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Gotta skate on out as Wonder Dog is running out of food. Yell at ya in the Morn and Bone appetit!
and so we the people are subjected to your messages back and forth
may you find those sharp objects
OHHHHHH-SnowBalls! I went outside to smoke. It ain't over till it's over.
After my stepping out yesterday and missing it, you know better than that this time of day, Head.
Wonder Dog had to water the grass. I shall be prepared in the future. Looks like our fearless leaders had fun after watching the video.
I'm out. Home to make blackened chicken for my bride. Should be delish.
Have a good evening all!
Have a good evening and watch out for sharp objects. Tomorrow.
<one minute apart...
I think we both need more work to do...
And for the record, my absolute all time favorite sight gag in any movie was in "The Silence of the Lambs", when they showed Lechter's temporary cell and a copy of "Bon Appetite"...good prop placement.
Damn it! I was trying to get in on this. Tomorrow.
Train? New York area???
And what brought you to DEN last week?
No NYC, Wash DC. Was in Denver last week for a public health conference.
DC is a fun town...You ever eat @ The Palm?
I like the one here, but the service can be spotty if a celeb in there at the same time.
Palm is good. DC is a great foodie town – tons of new places all the time. One of the few caveats of this place.
We have a winner!
I sensed several people hitting the page refresh button along with me. You vultures make me sick. =p
I'd hit it.
I enjoy but do not subscribe to your taste
I taste good.
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 8,132 other followers