Breakfast buffet
November 17th, 2010

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday and the most delicious finds on TV.

How dough you do? November 17 is Homemade Bread Day and National Baklava Day.

Though the two holidays may seem similar - one celebrating a pastry and the other celebrating bread - the treats differ in both taste and texture.

Baklava is a sweet pastry made with layers of phyllo - an unleavened flour dough - and filled with nuts and syrup or honey. Bread, on the other hand, comes in all shapes, sizes and colors. Most breads are leavened, unlike baklava.

So how do you roll: white, wheat, sourdough or phyllo?

What's on TV?

“Extreme” – Travel Channel, 10 a.m. ET
The ultimate foods for extreme pig outs include a burrito as big as a baby, and a burger so big it takes a basketball team to finish it.

“The View” – ABC, 11 a.m. ET
Rachael Ray visits the ladies of “The View,” almost one year after her last appearance.

“Mystery Diagnosis” – Discovery Health, 7 p.m. ET
A 22-year-old woman who hardly ever gets sick wakes up one day unable to eat.

“Iron Chef Japan” – Cooking Channel, 11 p.m. ET
Iron Chef Chen Kenichi takes on a challenger in a sardine duel.

“The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” – NBC, 11:35 p.m. ET
Chef Buddy Valastro from “Cake Boss” drops by as Leno’s second guest.

1. Matt

Been making own sourdough bread with Spelt flour for about 2 months now and wow does it make a difference in digestion.

My digestive health blog. http://www.digestforlife.com

November 17, 2010 at 11:38 am | Reply
    • Jerv

Just took a quick look at your blog. Is the sourdough recipe posted,? Didn't see it. I've been trying to find a descent sourdough recipe for years.

November 17, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Reply
      • Matt

I haven't posted one yet on the blog but will soon. If you would like to email me at matt@digestforlife.com I would be happy to email it to you. The sourdough and the bread take a little prep work but the bread freezes exceptionally well for months.

November 17, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Reply
  2. Evil Grin

National Baklava day! Wonderful, I have some at my house awaiting my return, as it happens. I will definitely eat it today. (Like I wasn't going to anyway.)

It's a nice day in these parts. Hope the weather is just as good for all of you today.

November 17, 2010 at 9:53 am | Reply
  3. RichardHead

Morning Truth-Didn't get washed away from the storms? 52 degrees and sun here in the Houston area.

November 17, 2010 at 9:36 am | Reply
    • Truth@Richhead

Weirdest thing...About 4 yesterday afternoon, it got downright black outside, we had heavy rain, which turned to snow with a lot of wind...It was all over in about twenty minutes. Kind of like the summer late afternoon storm, but is uncommon out here in fall or winter. Odd...

November 17, 2010 at 9:43 am | Reply
      • RichardHead@Truth

Snow this early? Better get out the John Denvers Greatest Hits album and crank up the volume so the snow gods can hear it.

November 17, 2010 at 9:49 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

We got snow late last week here about 75 miles east of Minneapolis. Still a few mounds around, but it's all gone. Looks like a nice ten day forecast:

November 17, 2010 at 9:52 am | Reply
      • Truth@Richhead

Actually we already have ski resorts operating in the mountains. Denver usually gets the first snow in October, but what is great here is that it never lasts. We can get four inches on a MOnday and have it gone by Wednesday. 300 days/year of sunlight will do that. What is great out here is that Denver and the mountains are two totally different worlds. Denver might be in the sixties, while the mountains are getting pounded. Interesting dichotomy.

November 17, 2010 at 9:54 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I need to move there so I can get my snowboard on. WI is lacking in the mountain/large hills department, especially compared to my home state.

November 17, 2010 at 9:55 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle-Dee-Bobity-Boo

60 and sunny here in Wash DC today.

November 17, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Reply
  4. Truth

Morning all, we are having a nice clear morning in DEN...How's the back doing Kat?

November 17, 2010 at 9:31 am | Reply
  5. Phyllo T. Snirdley

I am rolling up a Big Fat one right now with 98 layers and my nuts.

November 17, 2010 at 9:15 am | Reply