Slurping through history
November 16th, 2010

When President Obama commented that the Republicans were standing around drinking Slurpees while the Democrats were busy creating real change in Washington, it caused quite a storm. Now that he's sitting down with the new Republican leadership this week, the so-called "Slurpee Summit" is the talk of the nation.

While most of us have had one of 7-Eleven's frozen concoctions, there's plenty more you probably don't know about this too cool drink.

Read the entire COOL HISTORY OF THE SLURPEE from Mental Floss.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • History • Products

1. jillmarie

Loved their Crystal Light Slurpee.

November 16, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  2. RichardHead

MMMM>>Me Want Cola and Cherry ICEEEEEE-The first frozen drink and a margarita in that order. Brain Freeze Tuesday!

November 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Reply
  3. Evil Grin

Who in the U.S. does not know what a slurpee is? Used to be THE treat for me and my friends when we got together. The whole gang of us would go to 7-11, cause a lot of chaos, and each buy a slurpee, then spill half of it goofing off in the parking lot. Good times.

I haven't had one in far too long.

November 16, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  4. Truth

Slurpee Summit????
    Sounds like what happened when Richard Simmons ran into Ryan Seacrest...!

November 16, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Reply
    • Evil Grin

Ack, my poor brain! I didn't need that image. I don't want it!

November 16, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Ha! I was totally thinking Richard Simmons joke, but was leaving it to RichardHead.

November 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Or are you the one that posts under that? I thought it was Head.

November 16, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Reply
      • Truth@Jdizz

No, it was me. I only use one name conservatively, but I do make a liberal number of posts...:)

November 16, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead

I don't look good in striped shorts. They make my ass look BIG!

November 16, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I'm the same way, but hardly use other names. Maybe once every few days.

November 16, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Reply
  5. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Ninja, Please! Slurpees are horrible. Blue Raspberry Slush Puppy is where it's at.

November 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Reply