Nearly 15 percent of Americans face 'food insecurity'
November 16th, 2010

The number of Americans fighting off hunger stayed level last year, though food insecurity rates remain the highest they have been since the federal government began keeping track 15 years ago, a Department of Agriculture report released Monday found.

About 14.7 percent of U.S. households were "food insecure" in 2009, meaning they had difficulty feeding one or more of their members at some point last year due to a lack of financial resources, according to the report.

That equates to 17.4 million households total, or roughly 45 million people.

This year's rate marked a slight increase in percentage from 2008, when 14.6 percent of American households had trouble putting food on the table.

The CNN Wire Staff has the full story - "Federal report: U.S. hunger remains at highest levels in 15 years"

Posted by:
Filed under: Food Politics • Hunger • News

1. NationalSteak.com

Very nice!! there is so much information on this blog keep posting good information like this so that I can come back every day for some new info...

December 3, 2010 at 4:10 am | Reply
  2. Nick

In a country with welfare programs and food stamp programs it must be pride that keeps people from eating. I think the thing that shocks me most is that people have lost the ability to survive. I personally know people that would fish and hunt to get food on the table when times were tough. Rabbits, bream, wild mustard, maybe dandelions. Not to mention that staples like rice, pasta, canned chicken and canned tuna are dirt cheap. Meanwhile, American corporations are sitting on the sidelines with 2 trillion dollars and not willing to hire workers.

November 17, 2010 at 12:10 am | Reply
    • denimflyz

I agree with you 120%. People have lost their survival skills and a whole lot of everything else.
      My income is below poverty, but I live within a strick budget so I can afford the internet so I can pay bills for elderly parents and it keeps me in contact with the outside world, (I am disabled). I do manage with my disability to grow 60% of my vegetables for my elderly parents and myself. The rest I barter for meat. I cannot hunt anymore, but I am able to fish, and freeze fish for winter.
      Where I live, I live in a poverty fused area where the majority of the low income people buy drugs and alcohol instead of food or they do not even know who how to cook from scratch and provide a meal. The power of the drug or alcohol is more important that food or bills.
      Society has changed, Home Ec is not taught in schools anymore, the social framework of the family has disolved totally into nothing, I personally do not have an answer, I personally have tried to work with low income, food stamp recievers with programs to teach them living skills, cooking budgeting and home skills and all I got was a bunch of females that were drug-fueled with attitude. I never did it again, as I had no way of handling drug fueled females in a class room setting.
      I guess those who can survive by wild foraging and hunting or fishing will survive, the rest, I guess are on their own.

November 17, 2010 at 6:43 am | Reply
  3. CN

true food is expensive these days especially if you want to eat healthy food you have to either spend more money or do more work.
    still probably atleast a significant portion of that 45 million is spending unwisely due to drugs/alcohol addiction or just plain old poor budget management. The value of hardwork / hardship and saving is greatly going down in the country as evidenced by partial reason that we are in this recession is due to many people deciding to live it large and take out mortgages that they cannot afford but decided to "worry about it later". People get raises these days and go out and spend the entirety of their next paycheck with their credit card with this "worry about it later" mentality.
    Problem is you can't always live it large and you gotta plan ahead for the days when you're gonna run out of money for food or else artificially inflate statistics like these.
    We on the other hand who have internet and therefore presumably food (though in this technological age it is a loose assumption) have the responsibility to be moved to action by unfortunate scenarios like this but at the same time also must properly assess the problem before any jump to a solution is made.
    Earn the Wealth, Spread the Wealth

November 16, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Reply
  4. a

Growing up my family had this issue...our only meat for many months out of the year would be venison. Not out of choice, but out of necessity.

November 16, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Reply
  5. Roseanne

Even with a job it's hard to put food on the table. Chicken is expensive, fish is expensive, and beef is expensive... so that leaves veggies. No, wait, that's expensive too. No wonder there's an obese epidemic, all that you can afford is the crap food that's loaded with so much crap :/ or nothing at all...

November 16, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

My Gramps said back in the Depression, they were lucky to get an apple for the day to eat. And the great grandparents went hungry that day so the kids could eat.

November 16, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  6. Jerv

45 million Americans had problems putting food on the table? That truly gives me pause.

November 16, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Reply
    • Truth@Jerv, JDizz, RichHead

45 million is nearly one in six. One in freakin six.
      Think I will donate something tonight.

November 16, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Reply
  7. Truth

There is something fundamentally wrong with this reality. It should not happen in our country.

November 16, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead

With 10 percent unemployment I concur with you Truth. This should Not be happening,which is why the Wonder Dog and I will again work at the shelter on Thanksgiving Day.If EVERYONE would give 1 can of soup or beans or peanut butter etc this year we can help many people.

November 16, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

What's more insane is the idea of homeless Veterans. Shameful.

November 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Reply