November 15th, 2010

Ouch. Ouchouchouchouchouch. Ouch.

Forgive any egregious typos or inelegant phrasing, but I'm currently propped up on a mountain of sofa pillows, trusty whippet wedged under my knees, with my teeth gritted, trying not to whimper too pathetically and about to go out of my mind with want for Cream of Wheat. Yeah, I'm a food editor and probably oughta be keeping up some pretense of all my meals consisting of ethically sourced organic hogget terrine and all manner of complicated grains misted in butter from cows that vacation in Biarritz. But right now, I'm laid up with nasty back spasms and I just want hot cereal.

Bread and butter would do, too - just the generic, but satisfyingly crunchy Italian roll that came with the Papardelle Bolognese my husband and I ordered in the other night. Or eggs, nothing fancy, just very lightly whisked, fried in bubbling butter and flecked with Tabasco - maybe a sprinkle of smoked salt if I don't have to reach up too high in the cabinet.

When I'm down for the count, I go back to the basics. This doesn't mean dull, necessarily - just familiar. To me, the apotheosis of that is Cream of Wheat cooked cement hard, with a dash of hot sauce, crunchy salt and a shaving of whatever hard cheese is in the house - Parmesan, Romano, Asiago. I go savory because sweet makes me feel like an invalid and I'm incredibly bad at being coddled. The hot sauce allows me to feel as if I have a fighting chance, and if there is bread, it's got to be almost cruelly crusty, so I can wage battle against my food, even if the rest of my body is at war with itself.

(And...crap - the whippet just ate my toast.)

1. dnfromge

Flu or cold symptoms – poached eggs on toast and ginger ale. Sore throat – saltine crackers and hot tea – the scratch of the saltines going down always felt good on my sore throats for some reason!

October 6, 2011 at 11:26 am | Reply
  2. AleeD

Spicy chicken wings, Powerade Zero and lots of water. But it's been a long time since I've been sick.

October 6, 2011 at 10:30 am | Reply
  3. The_Mick

Soup, particularly chicken noodle, but whatever kind it is it should be almost too hot to eat so you also inhale the hot vapors and liquid that often loosen the junk in your throat!

November 17, 2010 at 9:41 am | Reply
  4. Sweetenedtea

When I'm sick, I like my personal chefs to make filet mignon and lobster with...

...okay, nevermind, I don't have any personal chefs. I was just bemused at some of the people here who are sick enough to crave special foods but not so sick that they can't spend an hour in the kitchen whipping up the meal. Hint: if you're feeling well enough to be on your feet making a complicated dish when you don't have to, you're not really that sick.

November 17, 2010 at 3:11 am | Reply
  5. sdetatae

tomato soup with an egg poached in it.

November 16, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Reply
  6. Amanda

Depends on how sick I am... For cold/congestion I crave really brothy homemade chicken caldo. If I'm getting over a stomach bug it's soft boiled egss and toast or saltine crackers. If I was in your situation I'd be right there with you with the cream or wheat, but with chocolate chips, or mac & cheese from a box (I know, it's wrong).

November 16, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Reply
    • Amanda

Oh, or Vietnamese food...Not sure why, never ate it growing up, but there isn't much a really good bowl of Pho can't solve, and if it is really tough, spring rolls.

November 16, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Reply
  7. sue

We never threw out bones from just about anything – beef, chicken, pork (fish bones we buried as fertilizer by the plum tree) – and my dad would make the most amazingly protein rich broth out of the bones. It would take two days in the oven, then reduce stovetop, poured over steamed rice and sprinkled with a little soy sauce.

November 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Reply
  8. Hamburglar

take a wild guess

November 16, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Reply
  9. Amanda

Wholesome old fashioned oats with butter and honey!

November 16, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Reply
  10. Jansy

Cheese grits with bacon...or homemade cream of mushroom soup.

November 16, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Reply
  11. jenn

Must use the Campbell's Tomato BISQUE soup not regular...much better flavor.

November 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  12. MumsToo

I usually crave Kentucky Fried Chicken's mashed potatoes with extra salt.

November 16, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Reply
  13. Leigh Ann

Grilled Cheese...the greasier the better and chicken noodle soup! Or mashed postatoes with gravy

November 16, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Reply
  14. Danielle

Tom Kah Kai always does the trick for me. It's spicy, sweet, and savory as well as being a warming soup.

November 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  15. John Kelly

Menudo settles the stomach, clears the head and restores strength better than anything I know.

November 16, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  16. Mary

When I get a cold, I first, order a pizza. I don't know why, but I seem to crave takeout pizza with a cold. I also like to drink tea as hot as I can possibly stand it.

November 16, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  17. Emily

When I'm sick my dad would make me drink red or pink gatorade/ 7up and eat salteen crackers with chicken broth. I never Drink red or pink gatorade if I'm not sick because it makes me think of being ill :)

November 16, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  18. Sue

If it's a cold or the flu – mac and cheese, or a grilled cheese with pickles and ketchup and tomato soup. When I was on chemo (I know this sounds weird but it is what it is!), the only thing I could eat was cantaloupe and some hot & sour soup.

November 16, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  19. 300Cooper

A spicy chinese food with fried chicken and egg rolls with the spicy mustard! the mustard clears my head

November 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Reply
  20. Karen

My grandma used to cook this flower-shaped rice noodle to an oatmeal consistency and mix it with an egg and some sugar. Now that I can't find the rice noodle anywhere, I simply just substitute it with oatmeal!

November 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  21. ottermyst

Grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup.

November 16, 2010 at 11:52 am | Reply
  22. Bo

When I feel like crap, I run down to subway and get a plain turkey sandwich with american cheese. It's bland, it's not terribly heavy, and I don't have to make anything. Good comforting sandwich.

November 16, 2010 at 10:52 am | Reply
  23. kristin

Oreida Zesties (fries). When I have a cold, it seems like nothing has much flavor. The combination of crunchy outside, soft inside and some spices just does the trick for me. I never eat them otherwise.

November 16, 2010 at 10:42 am | Reply