Lunchtime poll – ditching the drunks
November 8th, 2010

Y'all know by this point that we're a tad obsessive about reading your comments and poll results, right? Hence, it did not escape our notice that in reponse to our Thanksgiving cocktail recipes and poll about T-Day dinner disasters, many of you made reference to the potential stickiness of getting an over-served guest out of your home at the end of the festivities.

For some hosts, it's par for the course and the guest room is already made up and/or a local cab company on speed dial. For others, it's an incredibly awkward situation - they're cranky with the over-tippler, but at the same time are responsible for their safety. What's the most graceful way to for a host to handle someone who's soused at their house?

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Entertaining • Etiquette • Lunchtime Poll • Thanksgiving

« Previous entry
  1. dandemain

I just make sure that there are alternative beverages for those who do not want alcohol. Whether you drink alcohol or not is your choice. But if you get drunk, I take your keys. You can crash on the couch or ride home with a sober friend.

Also, if someone gets drunk at your party and causes an accident, you could be liable.

November 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  2. jon

I only get drunk if i know i'm staying or have a ride home. However, most parties i go to usually prepare for 20-30 people to stay over. I live in the foothills of Cali, maybe we just don't rape strangers as much as the rest of you.The majority of the stories i read sounded ignorant. Sounds like some of you forgot how to let go. Drinking and getting drunk go hand in hand.. why drink at all if not to get drunk? I guess us mountain folk just know how to party way harder than the rest of the nanny state. I heard most city dwellers don't even know how to swim. No wonder you don't want to drink. I'd be afraid of drowning.

November 10, 2010 at 5:46 am | Reply
  3. Hellie

These comments are stupid. I hate all of you.

November 10, 2010 at 12:06 am | Reply
  4. Belfast

Is the world really as ridiculous as the comments here? What happened to reason & logic? Are we all this selfish & childish?

November 9, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  5. John

Good poll, bad grammar: I'll drive them home, myself-provided I am sober, of course. (myself is not needed) – I'll call them a cab. Why would you call them a cab, you should call them a drunk. Correctly: I will call a cab for them.

November 9, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Thank you. I was wound up in knots over this. I can now sleep.

November 9, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Reply
  6. Anna

I grew up with a bunch of crazy religious nutjobs, so when I go to their dry boring holiday "parties" where their idea of fun is to talk a bunch of crap about people of other ethniticies and religions and spew Republican garbage...well, it makes me want to drink even more. It's really not fun because they never loosen up and are so holier-than-thou that it drives anyone away who actually thinks independently. I stay just long enough to make a proper appearance and then gratefully leave and find a better party where freedom reigns and the people are likeminded.

I definitely prefer Thanksgiving dinner at my boyfriend's parents' house. They serve a couple glasses of white wine and engage in lively conversation that's not racist or offensive. No one gets plastered or out of control, it's just good family fun where adults are free to do adult things if they would like to.

However, if I did have a party where one of my guests had too much I would insist that they crash on my couch and make sure they are ok. What are friends for?

November 9, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Reply
  7. elise

Most of my friends are responsible. The problem is that sometimes when people have been drinking they don't realize that they have crossed that limit and are intoxicated. They think they have it all under control and to me they definately look woosy. That is when I try to tell them what all their options are for getting home safely:
    Crash with me, get ride home or maybe just spend a few extra minutes drinking water or coffee trying to sober up.

I have done that before myself. I am having a great time and then woops I realize I am drunk. I never seek to get drunk but it happens on occasion.

November 9, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  8. Kim L

What I choose to do will depend on who's had too much to drink. But I would never let them drive.

November 9, 2010 at 10:55 am | Reply
  9. Fuyuko

I don't tend to have parties where alcohol is served. But if someone had drunk too much, I would see they got a ride with a sober friend or drive them myself.

November 8, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Reply
  10. Bobby

To me the use of intoxicants usually leads to problems.. When you drink there is always the chance of drinking one too many.. In my opinion Alcohol tastes like crap, is a waste of money and causes big problems.. To me it is not worth the potential negitive consequences.. I'd rather read a good book, meditate, work out than drink something that tastes and looks like piss!

November 8, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Reply
    • ann

Well, not all alcohol tastes like crap – of course not everyone likes it, but maybe you're just getting crap. Some of it tastes really good, and can enhance a meal. That's why I drink it – not to get wasted.

As far as the part about "there's always the chance of drinking one too many" - you know, it's not like the alcohol pours ITSELF into your mouth. Unless you have an alcohol problem, then there's really no reason to be worried about it. If I know I'm driving, I stop at one or two drinks (two only if I'm not driving for a couple of hours).

There's nothing wrong with choosing not to drink. It's a little annoying, though, when non-drinkers get a superior attitude.

November 9, 2010 at 10:04 am | Reply
    • ann

– and, by the way, reading a good book in front of the fire with a nice glass of brandy is a wonderful way to spend a winter evening.

November 9, 2010 at 10:09 am | Reply
  11. Lude

I kill them and bury them in the basement.

November 8, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Your ISP has released your IP address to the FBI.

November 8, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Reply
  12. DesertRat

Gotta love the comments that if you don't serve alcohol, you're boring. If you can't stand your friends sober, you need new friends.

We often serve alcohol at our dinner parties, including Thanksgiving, but not when:
    1.) There's family there that is too drama-prone in the first place.
    2.) Someone's there we don't know well enough to judge how they'll act.

I don't invite folks who are likely to get drunk. Just don't need that in my home.

November 8, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Reply
    • Bobby

You can do anything better sober vs. drunk!

November 8, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Reply
      • DesertRat

Yeah, like peeing on the couch because you're too blotto to know you're not in the bathroom. No thanks.

November 8, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Reply
    • dandemain

So a guest comes to your Thanksgiving dinner, but since you don't know them well, you refuse to give them a glass of wine.

Just where in Emily Post did you read that one?

November 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Reply
  13. Hobart from Westminster

I am PARTY friendly to all..but let me see you drunk behind a wheel when I'm out driving and I will call you in. I will go as far as to follow you till the police arrive !! If you insist to PARTY HARDY !! stay where your at or call a cab or friend..if your old enough to drink, your old enough to make the right decesion, or pay for the wrong one..I'm watching for you..

November 8, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Reply
  14. Sara G

I am a combination of both. I always offer those wishing to drink more than a glass or two to stay at the house. While I have a guest bedroom, a futon, 2 queen sized air mattresses, 2 couches and the floor. There is hierarchy of whom gets what accommodation depending on the guest list. However there is always coffee, juice, and brunch served the next morning for whomever stayed over. So I am a combination of the first 2 options I suppose.

November 8, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  15. r

I only invite people over who can WALK to my place and back to theirs.

November 8, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Reply
    • ann

Well, that works great in the city – but not out here in the mountains. It's a quarter mile walk just to my mailbox! My next door neighbors are the only ones who are in walking distance – so the only place we'll overdo it is at each others' houses. Other than that, people just tend to stay within their limits. Heck, after you're 25 or so, who wants to wake up with a headache anyway?

November 9, 2010 at 9:41 am | Reply
  16. sj

Unless you marked down one of the first two, or call them a cab, you are a scum bag and a terrible friend for not looking out for your friends. If someone is invited into your home it is your responsibility to ensure they have a good time drinking or not and are safe about. This poll shows how inhospitable Americans are becoming. If someone is close enough to you that you would invite them to Thanksgiving you should be willing to let them crash on your couch for the nite.

November 8, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  17. RichardHead@Truth&Jdizz

Well we have picked the perfect page to discuss The Dallas Cowboys. I am watching the Press Conference right now and Jerry has Not given a 100% to Jason Garrett! Without a lockout,Jdizz YOU will have a NEW Coach next Year named Jason Garrett. Your DC will be Mike Singletary! Two explosive Texas Boys that will rock the NFC next year. Truth,I have No visions for The Broncos at this time. I hope to Hell it's not Wade Phillips.

November 8, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Reply
    • Truth@JDizz, RichHead

Even worse, I hope not Dan Hawkins.

I am not sold that Bowlen is as pissed as the fans, so I think McD may get another year. I am really hoping for Cowher or Dungy personally...

November 8, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Reply

Bring in Jon Gruden!

November 8, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead@Truth&Jdizz

I believe Coach Dungy is done. You can hear it in his voice and posture. Dang,I wish he was available for this sorry team. Cowher would be a perfect fit for Denver!

November 8, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Reply
  18. wkh

why are people assuming that the drunks are massively out of control louts and a bad influence and immature? In this day and age of ridiculous alcohol restrictions, it takes little more than 2-3 beers before one cannot legally drive. It's really not a big deal at our house; we have public transit, cabs, and friends who can share driving duty.

November 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  19. Matt

The whole sleep at my house arrangement opens up a whole slew of problems.

1) The incredibly awkward morning/breakfast conversation and recall of the previous nights events.
    2) The possibility of a bed wetter or middle of the night vomiting session.
    3) Having to deal with them for the remainder of the night.

Cab company on speed dial, or sober safe ride home with someone else.

P.S. People may drink at my house and always have a great time, but I only allow people I know for many years to avoid these types of citations

November 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  20. Bubba

I stack 'em out in the shed with the firewood and the coon dogs. Then I listen for them screaming when they wake up in the dark and have to pee.

November 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  21. Truth

I am 45...if my friends were into doing the falling-down-drunk thing, I might want to upgrade my associates some. Just sayin'

November 8, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead

Until today I had Grey hairs older than You-LOL!

November 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I'm 29 and have salt-n-pepper hair on the sides of my dome. I usually die it black. I leave it to you guys to look old for now. X)

November 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead

I went Liberal today and got the "Nancy Pelosi" cut. Nicest MOHAWK you have ever seen!

November 8, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Reply
      • Truth@JDizz, RichHead

And as of about 1:00 pm mountain time, your state lost about 285 pounds of Wade Phillips. When reached for comment, Phillips stated that he plans to pursue his second career of eating.

November 8, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Reply
      • Truth@JDizz, RichHead

And for the record, most of my grey is in my beard, hence I go for the clean shaven look these days. Takes off about 10 or so years.

November 8, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Yeah, just saw that on NFL.com

November 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Reply
      • Truth@JDizz, RichHead

Wow! NFL.com has data on my beard...?
        I need to keep thing a little more private, you know?

November 8, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I s'pose I could be a little more specific. X)

November 8, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead

A dye job? The Wonder Dog and I go AU-Natural while Naked Grilling!

November 8, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Ah, yes! Naked Grilling Competition is on again! But it's cold out now, close to winter. That's my excuse, anyway.

November 8, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead

You are such a wiennie{kinda like Jeff Gordon who got his Dupont Panty Hose in a wad at TMS on Sunday. He fights like a girl}shrinkedge happens with all the chemicals used in that dye job.

November 8, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I don't watch NASCAR. Not into hillbillies too much. The NGF and her pops likes it, though, so I'll sit through it (except during the NFL season).

November 8, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead

What about Dolly Parton? She's a hillbillie and I learned how to count in two's because of her! You are prejudice Mr. McHammerpants. Shame, shame on you! No Mo sweet cornbread for you!

November 8, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I'm prejudiced against my color TV.

Ever watch that Chappelle Show clip of the blind black guy clip? He didn't know he was black and was racist against African Americans. Funny as hell. Youtube it.

No mo' conebread?! AAARRRGGGG!!!

November 8, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Reply
        • Weeds

That is one of his best skits.
          The ending is priceless – He divorced his wife because she married a black guy.

November 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm |

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHFUH_frhBw&w=640&h=390]

November 8, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Reply
  22. comajk21

How about calling a Designated Driving company, that way their car is home too.

November 8, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I love those. Cab company in Alaska does that, they team up and one follows you while the other drives your drunk ass home in your car. Price: Round trip cab fare.

November 8, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Reply
  23. Rachel

I don't serve alcohol at my parties (and, before the you-can-only-have-fun-if-you're-drinking crowd strikes, people have a great time and come back when they're invited again...). Many hosts that I know use alcohol to bring the "fun" factor into their parties; if you don't drink, you're left sitting around with nothing to do. Not the kind of party I would host. I always have good games and lively guests there, and never let someone sit by themselves in a corner. I live in a state with a serious drunk-driving problem, and I sure as heck don't want to contribute to it by plying my guests with alcohol and turning them loose on unsuspecting drivers/pedestrians.
    That said...when I'm with a group of really trusted friends/family, who I know well enough to know that they will NOT drink irresponsibly, I will serve alcohol. These are smaller gatherings, where I can tailor the alcohol served to the individual guests' preferences, and know that they will not drink more than they should and head for the door, keys in hand. Really, it comes down to the situation…dinner party w/trusted friends, sure, if they like to drink; bigger party where I can’t be sure of every guest? No thanks. And, if that’s not the kind of party someone wants to come to, I’m ok with that too…but I’d rather not risk endangering lives to please an over-indulgent drinker.

November 8, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Reply
  24. T. Bagher

Wow...all this talk about drinking...We have none of that in our home. Our motto is "Alcohol-Free is the way to be!"...We have lots of fun family activities, some family games, maybe a sing-along. Lots of fun times for us!

November 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Reply
    • Frank

Boooorrrriiinnnggg!

November 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Reply
  25. shibbygirl

Im usually the drunkest at my own house parties (since Im already home). Everyone is aware ahead of time they can stay over- that comes with the invite. after that, they are on their own. we're in nyc, so worst thing that happens is they pass out on the subway and miss their stop. It's happened to me and I'd never blame the host for it!

November 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Reply
  26. MicheleG

If I had a "guest" who was rude and selfish enough to get sloppy drunk, not only would I make sure they got home safely and uneventfully, I would also make sure they never darkened my door again.

Had to put up with this as a kid with 2 alcoholic parents. Do NOT have to put up with this as an adult. Nope. Talk to the hand.....

November 8, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Reply
    • eepah

Agreed. SERIOUS breech of etiquette. I sadly had to end a 15-yr friendship recently because I couldn't trust her not to get dangerously sloshed at my wedding 30 mins out of town.

November 9, 2010 at 11:31 am | Reply
  27. miki

Best not to hold parties where people can imbibe at will: that may sound dull but wait until your [rented] house gets trashed with burn marks on hardwood floors, broken glass down your staircase, boot prints on your white ceiling and vomit on your front porch. Have a dinner party with wine or serve a watered down punch but an open bar with a crowd is inviting idiots to act like idiots: let them do it in their own homes.

November 8, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  28. eepah

I make transportation/sleeping arrangements before the party, or at least before the first uncorking. Before reading this article, I feel kinda naive for assuming everyone else does the same. Not figuring out how you're getting home or where you're going to sleep before you drink seems like a serious breech of etiquette.

November 8, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  29. peter

we will rule the streets again! Join my new organization Drunks Against Mad Mothers!

November 8, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead

New organization My Ass. Joe Bob Briggs-The Great Texas Drive-In Movie critic-Was and Still IS The President of DAMM! Quit trying to take credit for something You know nothing about,or Chapter Presidents Will find You and do some serious LeatherFace upon Your Body! Nuff said. RichardHead-Far North Dallas Chapter President!

November 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Reply
  30. MattyAlou

Commonsense, your second message seems to be a little more conciliatory, which I appreciate, but I still sense you are assuming things about me and my family. We do drink responsibly (but not frequently) and we talk with our kids about things like alcohol, drugs and responsible sexual behaviors (and no, abstinence is not presented as the ONLY option in our home). There is a history of addiction in my family and I want my kids to know that they're probably at greater risk than some other people.

When guests come over, we might not have a fully-stocked bar (can whiskey go skunky if it sits in your cupboard for a period of several years?), but our guests are free to bring a bottle of wine or a case of beer when they come visit. I just don't hang around with people who can't or won't control themselves.

November 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Reply
  31. Caroline

First, it depends how well I know said drunk. If it's a close friend or relative, they get incriminating photos taken, then a nice comfy bed, breakfast, and a recounting of just how bombed they were the night before (hence the incriminating photos) If it's a guest that came with someone, the get the pleasure of driving them home. If the person drove themselves, I will find a way to get that person home. I don't judge, if someone gets drunk, I just make sure that the person(s) get home safe.

November 8, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  32. writersblock

Haven't had to deal with this since I was in my early 20s, so it's a non-issue. But, once had a party where a guest was too drunk to drive, as pointed out to me (I was also drunk) by my sober guests. We took the car keys, offered to have someone drive her home and drive her car to her home. She ransacked my house searching for her keys, which did not help her cause ("I'm not drunk!"). And then she called 9-1-1 to report she was being held hostage.

Good times, good times. Never spoke to her again.

November 8, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  33. shawbrooke

I'm chose other. Since one difficult incident, I stop serving alcohol and get out signature drinks (non alcoholic) at the first sign that some vehicle might be leaving with a tipsy driver. None of our family or friends drink to excess, so office or group related events are the only time that I concern myself with how much people have to drink. In the difficult incident, I drew the driver away from those leaving and suggested 3 options (I'd take care of the cab, my spouse would drive him home, or he could go home with friends already in the foyer who lived near to him.) He did not forgive me, possibly because he fell on to a car parked in front of our house and the friends had to help him to their car.
    There's no good way to deal with it.

November 8, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Reply
  34. larrywi

I personnaly do not hang around with people who allow themselves to get that way. I don't have to worry about dealing with it.

November 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Reply
  35. NatX

I put them in a bathtub of ice and steal their kidneys, That'll teach'em.

November 8, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  36. dragonwife

Unless it's against your religion or you're a recovering alcoholic who doesn't trust himself not to give in to temptation, it's pretty rigid to say "no one may drink in my house". Of course people can have fun without alcohol, but there's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation. Key word, that "moderation" – it means be a responsible adult and don't get plastered in your friend's house. That being said, if someone were to drink too much at my house, several of the options above are good – drive him home (assuming I'm sober), call a cab, have him stay over, etc. But no one will ever leave my house drunk and think he's going to drive himself home. I figure, what's better – losing a friendship over it, or losing the friend?

November 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Reply
    • Sarah

I don't think it's too rigid. I don't ban alcohol in my house, but as my husband and I do not drink (me for personal reasons, him for health reasons) we don't serve alcohol either. If you want booze, BYOB. I've never had to deal with a drunk guest since all my friends drink responsibly.

November 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Reply
    • DesertRat

There's also nothing wrong with not having alcohol in your home, even if it's not a religious issue or due to alcoholism. It's your home, so it's your right. You just need to make sure your guests have a good time!

November 8, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Reply
  37. mizzdirekt

Hows a'bout not drinking yourself into a ditch anymore. Lets just end this alcohol charade shall we. You drunks are acting like children. Try smoking a little instead, it might safe your soul...and your life. Also see new cnn article http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/social.media/11/08/facebook.drunk.test/index.html?hpt=T2 .

November 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Reply
    • DesertRat

Right, because no one ever uses poor judgment when stoned.

November 8, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Reply
    • mizzdirekt

Like watching commercials that aren't interesting, or eating too many potato chips right? I usually get my house chores done. If your are in a party situation, you can laugh your ass off at all the drunks acting like they don't have a brain (I usually don't find it funny at all), and are trying to escape life. I would rather that then get in a fight, black out, get rapped...or worse. If the drunk is lucky they will pass out right where they are at, in a strangers house rather than try to go home and kill someone in the process.

November 9, 2010 at 8:01 am | Reply
  38. Jack

"Since when does an adult who drinks too much need someone else to keep them from drinking and driving? – Are you kidding me??????

November 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  39. Chester

In some jurisdictions, the "social host" that served the alcohol could be legally liable for letting the intoxicated person drive away.

November 8, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Reply
    • EK

Really? Please give us some examples.

November 9, 2010 at 7:01 am | Reply
  40. JEM

This holiday season, I will just drop them in the living room of one of the empty foreclosed houses on my street and let them try to figure out where they are when they wake up.

November 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Reply
  41. MattyAlou

This hasn't happened to me since I was in my 20's. I've distanced myself from friends who would be a negative influence on my children.

November 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Reply
    • CommonSense

Don't send your kids to college. Lots of bad influences there. In fact, safer to just lock them in the basement with some books and a poster of Jesus hanging on the wall.

November 8, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Reply
      • MattyAlou

Who said anyting about Jesus?

Your religious antipathy aside, I know they're going to see stuff like that at college, and they'll probably even try things that I wish they wouldn't try. Doing things you shouldn't do is pretty normal at that age. I just don't want them thinking that I approve.

Just because kids like to push the boundaries doesn't mean we should stop setting them. It's when we give our kids carte blanche to do whatever they want just because "they're going to do it anyway" that they start to wonder whether we as parents really care about their well-being.

November 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Reply
      • CommonSense

The point is, if they never see you disapprove of it, they have no idea if it is wrong. If they've never seen anyone drunk, how do they know it is bad? In my opinion, it would be advantageous to you if you DID have friends over who drank, while you didn't, or did so moderately. Show by example that while some people choose to get sloppy drunk and make a fool of themselves, more responsibly people know their limits. Also, people might actually come to your parties knowing they'll get more than sparkling cider and virgin bloody marys.

November 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Reply
      • DesertRat

CommonSense, kids have a pretty sensitive hypocrisy sensor. What does it tell your kids when you tell them not to do something, then allow someone else in your home to do it?

November 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Reply
      • Maunawili

I like that!!!

November 8, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Reply
      • scroo yoo

Good idea,expose your kids to drunks to teach them about alcohol

how about having a s*x offender over to teach them about abstinence?

November 9, 2010 at 9:04 am | Reply
    • Perri

An intelligent choice. Who needs disgusting drunks for friends? They are obnoxious. They never assume responsibility for their cruddy behavior when drunk. Seem to think being drunk is an excuse.

November 8, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Reply
    • EK

Your kids pick up more of their standards and morals from their peers than they do from you or your friends. I realize parents hate to hear that and reflexively reject it, but it is true.

Your children are more likely to pick up behaviors from you when they see them demonstrated than when they are only hypotheticals, so it would be better to have them witness your way of dealing with a drunken guest.

If you shed some of your friends because you don't want to deal with their juvenile BS, that's one thing, but if you do it "for the children," you are engaging in fairly low-payoff strategies, and likely sabotaging your children's coping skills.

November 9, 2010 at 6:59 am | Reply
  42. RichardHead

I throw them on my neighbors lawn. Don't want projectile vomit anywhere in my house.Besides it makes my neighborhood look cleaner when they are sprawled out next door.

November 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

The GF's daughter and her boyfriend saw this the other day. Someone was passed out in their friends' apartment complex lawn. Apparently they were unable to rouse him. It got down to 28 degrees. That's asking to meet Jesus.

November 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead@Jdizz

If they don't meet Jesus they will meet
        #1. A mugger who also likes tennis shoes.
        #2 A dog who likes to lift his leg on foreign objects.
        #3. A pissed off ex wife looking for her now gone child support.

November 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Reply
  43. takeoff_urkool

I always try to persuade people to stay over if they have been drinking to excess but come on, once a person gets to be above 30 years old they make their own decisions...good and bad. If they want to assume the risk of driving and potantially harming someone and at the very least getting into big expensive trouble that is their decision to make. Ioffer them the guest room and breakfast in the AM or even for them to leave after they sleep it off a while if that would make them feel better but I am not going to MAKE someone stay.

November 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Reply
  44. caberg

Other. My friends are grown, responsible adults. They're not "on their own," but they can certainly make the determination of if and when they've had too much to drink, and ask for a ride, call a cab, or ask for a couch to crash on. At most, a subtle suggestion of any of the three preceding options is all that's needed.

November 8, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Reply
    • Guest

Since you can be held legally responsible because you served alcohol to them (even if they helped themselves). If they get into a wreck and damage property or, God forbid, take a life, you could be held liable and lose everything. Read up on your state law. However, I would do it because it is the right thing to do – I could not live with myself if I let someone leave my house drunk and hurt someone or got hurt.

November 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Reply
      • Cody (D.C.)

Fiction can be fun, but it's still fiction. Quit spreading lies.

November 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Reply
      • Kristen

Actually you are not legally responsible for them making bad decisions (like drinking too much) at your party unless you sold them the drinks.

November 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Reply
      • caberg

GUest–you missed my point. Drinking and driving is not socially acceptable amongst most responsible adults these days. Sure, people drink, and sometimes get drunk, but hardly anyone I know (these days) will go get smashed and then drive. So, it's just not much of an issue. If someone comes to my house and decides to get drunk, that's fine, and he or she will most likely have worked out a plan for the evening, which would probably entail hitching a ride from another guest.

This poll assumes that no one takes responsibilty for their own actions, which is just not true. Contrary to the poll's author, people can drink, and even get tipsy, responsibly.

November 9, 2010 at 10:38 am | Reply
    • scott

Guest: Not in the great state of Texas.
      Over the past 20 years social host responsibility has been rejected three times.

*voted "they're on their own."

November 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Reply
      • RC

Same w/ California – unless the individual is under 18

November 8, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Reply
    • Allison

Good call, caberg. Very good call.

November 8, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Reply
    • itsthelaw

If your friend drinks, drives, and hurts someone (themselves included), the establishment that served them is legally liable if the individual was "apparently intoxicated" and allowed to continue drinking. So unless you want to be sued, yes, you are responsible for those that drink at your house. And to be sued your friend need not be sauced. The standard is that you continued to allow him or her to drink when "apparently intoxicated" and then harmed themselves or someone else. A floor and a blanket is all it takes.

November 9, 2010 at 5:20 am | Reply
      • EK

You shouldn't explain things you don't actually understand. There is robust legal history establishing that such laws apply to establishments that sell alcohol, not to people who have some friends over for dinner and drinks.

November 9, 2010 at 6:43 am | Reply
      • peanuts

Regardless of whether or not there's a legal responsibility, what about a moral responsibility? We invite these people into our homes because they are people we care about & want to spend quality time with...today & in the future. To then say, "they're on their own" when they've overindulged is just wrong on so many levels. What if someone in your community shared this idea, turned someone out because "they're on their own" & then you, a family member or a friend is the one this person injures? Would you still have the same feelings about it? I don't think so.

November 9, 2010 at 9:27 am | Reply
      • Danny

Actually the laws vary from state to state. Nevada, for example, has no such law on the books.

November 9, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Reply
      • Simply Said, well and done

Thinky... I'm feeling thinky... and 13 again.

November 9, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Reply
    • Gloria

Re: 'Since when does a responsible adult need someone else to keep them from drinking and driving?'

Options should be provided or offered to the individual at question (cab ride, sleepover, ride home)– even a responsible adult may think it rude to invite themselves to spend the night, especially if they are embarrassed by having had too much to drink, or cannot afford a cab ride.

November 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Reply
    • Jake Hallosev

It is a rare person who knows when they've had too much to drive. I am no teetotaler, but I regret to this day not offering a friend the opportunity to stay over when I could see he was wasted. He got a DUI ticket on the way home, and, rightly or wrongly, he at least in part blame me, and I at least in part blame myself.

November 11, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Reply
  45. Tyler

In general at big family events there is no alcohol at my house (too many sobered alcoholics), but when friends are over and had too much to drink I'll either get a sober person to bring them home or call a cab.

November 8, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Reply
  46. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Glad to see no one has picked "No one may drink in my home" yet. I bet that person would be a blast.

November 8, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Reply
    • Rachel

Why? Because you can only have fun when there is alcohol involved? Why am I not surprised.....

November 8, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

No. You can have fun with mary jane, too.

November 8, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Reply
      • Beersk

Because I'm betting that person who doesn't drink at all or ever is pretty boring company. I know very few people that are interesting people who don't drink, at least, socially. Beer/alcohol makes boring people more interesting.

November 8, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Reply
      • Mike in NJ

Who is this Mary Jane, and where can I meet her? She sounds positively enchanting. :p :)

November 8, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Reply
      • Mary Jane

I will rock your world.

November 8, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Reply
    • Billie Jo

Ummm, I've available!

November 8, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Reply
    • Chester

Yeah. It is a total blast to watch your friends get drunk and puke all over your stuff. :-)

November 8, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Reply
      • Simply Said, well and done

If I knew anyone at my party had that kind of reaction to booze, then I'd lay-low on the drinks, or choose "lighter" stuff, limiting it to wine or margaritas, especially the latter.

November 9, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Reply
    • RodBinNC

What if you are an alcoholic? I am and my party days always ended in the drunk tank. Years of drinking nearly killed me. So some people will not allow drinking at their home, but they maybe 420 friendly....

November 8, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Reply
    • DesertRat

Are you still in high school?

November 8, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Reply
    • KitKat

I keep a dry home, simply because I can't drink (medication issues).

My friends and family have no issue with there being no alcohol at gatherings. Yes, it lowers inhibitions, but I'd rather keep things simple...and serve soda and tea.

November 18, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Reply