Lunchtime poll – elect for an excellent Thanksgiving
November 2nd, 2010

Okay – David Gergen has walked by our desks like, eight times, Roland Martin is sporting an extra-festive ascot and Ali Velshi has cruelly rebuffed our festive wild boar bacon bourbon brownies (we're chalking it up to his being Canadian - we shoulda gone with moose).

It's unmistakably Election Day here at Eatocracy HQ and while we must remain politically neutral (though we're very entertained that Sandra Lee just might end up wreaking her tablescapes all up in the NY State Gov's mansion if longtime beau Andrew Cuomo emerges victorious), we are, above all, for the Party of Deliciousness.

Cast your vote for truth, justice and...uh...Tryptophan and we'll scare up recipes for crowd faves as Thanksgiving impends.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Holidays • Lunchtime Poll • Pie • Thanksgiving

1. yourmom

Thanksgiving menu, Jamaican-american style– Turkey(obvi), Roast Beef, Rice&peas, Cornbread souffle, Mac n' cheese, Stuffing, Rolls, potato salad, Pumpkin pie, Apple pie, and ice cream.

Good stuff.

I was never into turkey(shock, no?), unless there's alot cranberry sauce on it. So I just stick with the roast beef– love that stuff.

Anyway, happy thanksgiving y'all.

November 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Reply
  2. Mary

Turkey, gravy, cornbread stuffing, black olives, cranberry still in can-shape (its a tradition with us too!) green bean casserole and my manly man food masterpiece: broccoli, cheese and rice casserole (cooked with cheeze whiz and topped with Velveeta!) The only day of the year I will ever put a cheese "product" down my gullet. Pies, pies and more pies for dessert, – wait 3 hours, put out the crusty rolls and leftovers and repeat! Waddle to bed. Literally dump it all in a big soup kettle the next day (except for the pies, of course – they have all been eaten!) for Thanksgiving dinner in a bowl – heaven.

November 5, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  3. Susan

Pumpkin pie must always be served... but my favorite pie to have at Thanksgiving is pecan. Slices of both, please!

November 5, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Reply
    • yourmom

Same here.

Pecan pie is my favorite desert. Problem is, it runs out fast around thanksgiving. -________-

November 24, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Reply
  4. tasting turkey already

My family meal is an absolute feast of fat, calories and carbs from the turkey to the stuffing and rolls and devilled eggs to the cranberry sauce to the whole milk/ flour/sliced boiled eggs/turkey grease and giblet gravy but we never have pecan pie because it was deemed to have too many calories.

November 4, 2010 at 10:21 am | Reply
  5. bg.euwer

For pie, we always have three, pumpkin, apple and chocolate pecan.

November 4, 2010 at 9:55 am | Reply
  6. Angie

We firmly believe in the 1:1 pie/guest ratio! We have apple, lemon merengue, egg nog, custard, pumpkin (made from the Halloween pumpkin), mince meat (made with moose) and pecan pie (substitute mac nuts for pecans). We also have my nephew's annual request for Mississippi Mud Pie, introduced to us by my friend from Georgia. Yes, this is waaaaay too much pie for after such a heavy meal. Obviously it is meant for the rest of the weekend. For those who scorn the idea of mincemeat, make sure you are basing your opinion on the real thing. That mince stuff you buy in frozen pie form, is NOT mincemeat pie. Of course, there are those who think pie with meat in it is weird, but it is to die for. I can't wait until Thanksgiving!

November 3, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Reply
  7. Joel

I didn't vote the turkey question - there was not a vote for both white and dark - I love the whole bird. My wife bakes three pies every year. Pumpkin for her, Lemon Meringue for me and Chocolate for our adult son who lives with us.

November 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Reply
  8. badcyclist

The majority of people who take this poll are liars. They SAY they prefer pumpkin pie, but on Thanksgiving the apple, berry and lemon pies always disappear first. So all you people who claim to prefer pumpkin: this year, hands off the fruit pies!

November 3, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Reply
    • Anon_e_mouse

Hey – there really are those of us who love pumpkin pie! Indeed, for my birthday (which is in March) I don't have cake... it's a pumpkin pie for me (even if neither of our daughters can make it home and I have to make it myself). At Thanksgiving, I will sample a bit of the pear / cranberry pie as well, though. But with anywhere from 23 – 28 people for Thanksgiving dinner, our younger daughter will make three pumpkin pies and two each of the pecan and pear / cranberry ones... enough for everyone to have a bit of each if they so choose, and leftovers for the next day.

November 3, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Reply
  9. anabel

A native New Englander, last year we had a wild turkey. A little stronger tasting meat, but not gamy. It went over big with sage and onion stuffing, yam casserole topped with ground walnuts and brown sugar, butternut squash, baby brussels sprouts. Nobody wants rolls or salad. Cold cranberry relish and cooked cranberry sauce with a hearty slug of rum. Pecan pie with whipped cream and mince pie with hard sauce. Sometimes we have plum pudding, but the relatives who loove it went to another relative this year. For the children, I had ice cream in molds like turkey. I am getting very nostalgic and hungry right now. I live alone now and friends usually adopt me so I miss getting this kind of meal now. And always bring a bourbon pecan pie and a bottle of riesling for evryone to enjoy.

November 3, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Reply
  10. Patrick

Stuffing is inside the turkey because the action of stuffing is going inside the object. Dressing is covering the outside of the turkey. Logic says the actions done to the turkey is stuffed inside and dressed outside.

November 3, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Reply
  11. Mary

I cook my turkey with baby carrots, cut up potatoes and cut up onion around it in the pan. You have to nuke the carrots and potatoes for about 8 – 10 min to get them started, though. They are soooooo good cooked like that...especially covered in gravy! An easy side dish! I cook the stuffing in the bird, green bean casserole (a recipe that's little different from the usual recipe), a very yummy cranberry relish and homemade cranberry sauce and lots of gravy. If I'm really into it, I make some sort of sweet potato casserole, too. I try different ones...some with marshmellows, some without. For dessert, pumpkin pecan pie or pumpkin cheesecake.

November 3, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  12. Dennis2547

Yummy time of year for me especially !!!! Ah the wonderful memories of a happy childhood that has grown with each passing year. Now in my early 60's, I can say with out missing a breath or heart beat. Turkey, with stuffing on the inside, lumpy mash potato's with some roasted garlic, yams or sweet potato with marsh mellows and pineapple rings, real cranberries cooked and served cold. A wonderful pumpkin pie along with a fresh cup of coffee afterward or a glass of cold milk. Your choice. All with family and friends. That is a happy Thanksgiving Day.
    A retired US Army veteran

November 3, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Reply
  13. Jennifer

Dark meat please with mashed potatoes, greens, string beans, cornbread stuffing, oyster dressing, sauerkraut, mac & cheese and sweet potato casserole. Oh and I forgot the other meats: ham and sometimes spare ribs! Yum!

Dessert includes a Junior's cheesecake, a butter pound cake, chocolate cake and several sweet potato pies!

November 3, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Reply
  14. Angie

Ah the holidays! Starts with a beautiful, perfect meal that I have gotten up at 4:30am to start for the last 20 years – gone in 10 minutes by extremely hungry and crabby relatives who skipped breakfast and are already seated as I'm still cooking the gravy. The characters already in place: the relative who refuses to make her mashed potatoes at home and obviously needs occupation therapy to learn how to handle my blender without splattering sour cream and butter all over my ceiling. The relative who saves up every inappropriate remark in his head for the last year to let em all out at once. The other relative who once announced his vasectomy in response to "what's going on since we saw you last".
    The brother with his new girlfriend who will go running for the hills after spending 5 hours with my family. Then...the one who has 5 glasses of wine before anyone else. Invariably ends with a) argument b) broken ankle on my front steps c) both. Gotta love it.

November 3, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Reply
    • Anon_e_mouse

THIS is why we stayed away from my wife's family at Thanksgiving (or any other holiday) when we were first married... that plus the fact that her sister was the hostess, and – poor girl – she not only couldn't cook worth a &@%^, she wouldn't let anyone else help. (I'm glad I got exposed to that the Thanksgiving before we were married! Of course, my wife never learned to cook either... their dear mother was an exceptional cook but she never taught them how.) So this Thanksgiving will mark my 33rd Thanksgiving as chief cook, although this will mark the third year now it's been in our younger daughter's kitchen in Virginia, with her and her husband doing much of the work. But there will be plenty to feed, what with our other children and their families coming from all over the country and a number of other relatives who live near our daughter... the current guesstimate is somewhere between 23 and 28 for dinner, a far cry from our first Thanksgiving as husband and wife in a two-room apartment... but hey, we had leftovers for the next two weeks!

November 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Reply
      • Angie

A long way indeed! A family patriarch that can cook? You have a lucky family – enjoy that pumpkin pie, you've earned it!

November 5, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Reply
    • Martha

Angie,
      Now that sounds like my family thanksgiving dinner lolol. Happy Turkey Day All :-}

November 4, 2010 at 9:05 am | Reply
      • Angie

You too? I suggest we all sneek a little snooker of a fine red while the bird is cooking and raise a glass in a silent toast to all the long-suffering cooks of Thanksgiving morning – I'll be thinking of you all. I personally will never be able to look at a bag of frozen peas (yes, it was a very detailed announcement) without thinking of the vasectomy incident!

November 5, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Reply
  15. patty

I'm weird, I'm not really into Thanksgiving. I don't really like Turkey, I HATE stuffing and gravy and sweet potatos. However, I do love fresh biscuits, simple veggies and the PIE... i much prefer Christmas dinner... bring on the HAM

November 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Reply