Box lunch
November 2nd, 2010

Sink your teeth into today's top stories from around the globe.

• If a man cooks the same dish as a woman, would it taste any different? The role of gender in food. - The Atlantic

• A friend's prenatal struggle inspires a post on why restaurants give us hope. "Restaurants coddle us, they comfort us. They make us feel special. They make life better." - ulterior epicure

• The most popular course at Harvard this fall is titled "Science and Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science." - The Boston Globe

Posted by:
Filed under: Box Lunch • News

1. Cecilia

I think George's comment was explaining that is common in Latin American countries to eat them as a regular snack. In the US, what is more common are potato chips, pretzels, and peanuts.

November 3, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  2. George

I have not read the pumpkin article, but FYI, in Latin culture the pumpkin seed aka pepitos are roasted salted and eaten as a delicious snack or in salads or other recipes (I recently made an awesome pepito jalapeño chicken salad using more yogurt than mayo and it was incredible)...

Seriously, look up pepitos nutrition facts on wikipedia. They are not only delicious, they are amazingly good for you. Pepitos and flax seeds.. Eat them, om nom.

November 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
    • Evil Grin

Huh. I didn't know roasted pumpkin seed were a Latin tradition. We do that too. I look forward to them when pumpkin season comes around.

November 2, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
      • CatM

They're not. EVERYBODY eats pumpkin seeds.

November 2, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  3. Truth

Actually, two of my favorite seasonal treats are The Cheesecake Factory's pumpkin cheesecake and Starbuck's Pumpkin Chai Latte.

November 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm |
  4. Evil Grin

13 ways to cook a pumpkin: The custard and cream cheese are definitely things I'd like to try. My family has always made a pumpkin bake, which reminded me of the stew they suggested. You gut a small to medium pumpkin, mix the guts (minus seeds) with rice, beef, spinach, peppers and spices, then bake it. Delicious. And, as it's not a real recipe, we make it differently practically every time. Once I added some spaghetti sauce and parmesian cheese before baking it, and it was amazing.

You can do a lot with a pumpkin.

November 2, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,052 other followers