Hanging tough: relief from over-imbibing
October 27th, 2010

If our commenters are to be believed, a bit of the wacky terbaccy is a sure-fire cure for alcoholic excess. If you hold truck with what Dole's publicists have to say, bananas are a magic bullet for relieving booze-induced misery.

The latter assert that 'nanners battle the after-effects of alcohol consumption. Quoth Dole.com, "Eat bananas if you've overindulged. Scientific evidence suggests hydration, vitamins B6 and C may make hangovers more bearable." An in-depth breakdown goes on to expand upon the fruit's ability to help the over-hung to, "Rehydrate...neutralize free radicals...re-balance...recover."

That's appealing and all, but unless you're in the habit of having a fresh bunch stashed at all times, no way are you slipping on pants and some manner of footwear for anything less than a greasy cheeseburger or the dog that done bit ya the night before.

As we'd mentioned, the kids at the back of the bus tout the benefits of smoking the suffer away.

"A fat doobie works. Just like with cancer patients. So I've heard.

I've noticed hair of the dog just keeps me drinking all day, which makes the NEXT day even worse. I'd rather have a high take care of my pains until noon, when it wears off." - Jdizzle McHammerpants

"Bong rips... no question" - CrazyH

"Nothing is more effective than a little cannabis. I ran out last week (for a big US city, Cleveland sucks) and ended up drinking too much on Saturday and Sunday was BRUTAL without my fave cure. I even tried resorting to the old resin-scraping humiliation." - CM

"Nothin like a good wake n bake and Funyuns to cure the worst of hangovers." - mr nice guy

But if you (like us) are not one to channel your inner Willie Nelson, don't worry - our readers have plenty of other homespun hangover remedies on tap. In addition to 40 mentions of Gatorade, 18 of Ibuprofen, eight of Advil (which is branded Ibuprofen), 16 of coconut water, 14 of aspirin, 13 of Bloody Marys (we opt for the Smokey Maria, ourselves), and multiple citations of greasy burgers, burritos and big ol' breakfasts, our commenters swear by massive quaffs of water and caffeine, plenty of shuteye and some more ambitious solutions we're highlighting below.

We can neither confirm nor deny the efficacy of any of these methods. Medical science hasn't reached a consensus as to the root cause (except, you know, the drinking) and Dr. Sharon Horesh Bergquist, assistant professor in the department of medicine at Emory University told CNN Health, "There probably won't be a known effective treatment until we understand the physiology better."

Take these suggestions with a grain of salt - and possibly a quart or two of pickle juice (which was suggested eight times).

Soup is good food

"PHO! this Vietnamese soup is under $10 & is the best cure of a hangover if you can get to the restaurant. I LIVE BY IT! yummy! $5.99 & you can get a bowl of your choice of PHO." - TK

"Perhaps the most tried and true in Mexico is worth mentioning: a rich broth with some hot chili, especially if the broth includes menudo, pig's foot, salt, onions and jalapeños. Known as the 'breakfast of champions' it really works." - Trumble

"I've never had a hangover that a bottle of Gatorade and a bowl of french onion soup couldn't cure." - Drunky McScotch

"Ah Ramen. I agree, it is a magical food." - Evil Grin

Crazy concoctions

"The most effective hangover 'remedy' in my experience has been a concoction I make by filling one glass with :

1 part part apple juice or orange juice
1/2 teaspoon table salt (stir well into juice) and then
Fill glass with cold water

Each time I've tried this remedy it's worked!" - Fatherfigure

"Blue green algae (spirulina), naicin (b3), & ginseng...then meditate on the luminous void. Have an enlightening day!" - ZenDog

"Pickle juice with V8 and Clamato works great for me." - Bryan Somerville

"Pedialyte popsicles. Not kidding. They are awesome." - Evil Grin

"Apple Cider Vinegar and two glasses of water before and after you get totally tanked." - YourMomsFace

"Mass quantities of pickle juice and those sugary orange slice candies. Think it worked cause it all fermented in my belly." - Amunaka

Hair of the dog - Lone Star style

"When I was drinking the best hangover cure was what someone told me was called a 'Texas Redeye' – large glass, fill with 2/3 beer, top off with tomato juice and a dash of salt. Yes, it tastes wonderful first thing in the morning and always kept me functioning." - Ex-Drinker

I may or may not be a doctor, but I play one on the internet

"Physicians cure – 16 ounces of water BEFORE you go to bed, with 2 – 4 ibuprofen. If you wake up with a hangover, still drink 16 ounces of water, 8 ounces of tomato juice (or V8), take 2 ibuprofen, and 2 – 4 Maalox/Mylanta. I gave this to a colleague who was getting ready to go home early in the day secondary to a hangover – one hour later, he was back to work – feeling O.K." - Deedee

Cold comfort

"To get rid of the horrible headache, eat vanilla ice cream fast enough to get brain freeze. It literally freezes away that headache and the vanilla is actually soothing for the stomach. It works for the headache every time. As to any other symptoms, only sleep will cure them." - Jade

Got a favorite alcohol cure-all you'd care to share? Pour out your heart below.

Next entry »
  1. Ryan Goodman

My remedy is BC Powder and Gatorade or a Hair of the Dog. Happy NYE everyone!

December 31, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  2. Biskitwheels

Oh, and raw sauerkraut. On Monday mornings, they gave sauerkraut juice to the workers on the golden gate bridge to rid them of their hangovers ( to improve workplace safety).

November 14, 2010 at 3:08 am |
  3. Biskitwheels

Water, or better yet, Knudsen recharge.
    Orgasm
    Sliver of Xanax
    Cannabis

Sleeping through it.

November 14, 2010 at 3:03 am |
  4. Avid

People keep mentioning ibuprofen or aspirin...while that may provide temporary relief it is not easy on the stomach and in some cases will cause bleeding of the stomach lining...not to mention that ibuprofen is terrible for your liver when sober and probably much worse after alcohol induced liver irritation.
    A couple bong hits, some fruit/tomato juice and a nap.

November 13, 2010 at 1:46 am |
  5. Warszawa

3-2-1 method; After a long night of boozing, drink 3 glasses of water – take 2 Ibuprofen – take 1 Zantac, Pepcid, or other acid reducer. I also find that taking a vitamin B-complex and a multivitamin with potassium and magnesium in it also prevents the morning-after nasties.

November 12, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  6. AlamoEm

I like to turn to a greasy meal, a vitamin drink, and a uninterrupted nap. A big plate of Greek food is the best: Gyro meat, tzahiki, a spanikopita, a dolmathes (or several), and a pita to put you to sleep.

But you should have a glass of water, 2 Ibuprofen and a vitamin before bed.

November 3, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
    • Ryan Goodman

I like that, except I go for Waffle House instead of greek!

December 31, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
  7. ksboy

1-2 multivitamins (megaman/woman or the like), 2 migraine advils and as much water as you can stand, and a good night sleep. Fool Proof. Or just get drunk in the morning. that helps

November 3, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  8. Cam

Put a cinnamon bun on a tractor. I was skeptical and first and then WOW!

November 1, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
  9. K-Dub

You just need to drink lots of water to hydrate and then get moving- run, walk, work out, etc. Do anything to sweat it out!

November 1, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  10. bd

bojangles chicken and biscuits

November 1, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  11. Pantyhose

I've fortunately never had a hangover but then, I know my limit. I can't handle a much alcohol. Four drinks is my limit.

November 1, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  12. LMD

Go running! Works every time.

November 1, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  13. Bill

Only drinking beer works for me...as long as I'm not drinking big barleywines, or Imperial Stouts I am usually way too full before I ever get drunk enough to be hungover.

November 1, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  14. M.R

Try Rebootizer (www.rebootizer.com). It is an all natural detox shake and is the best cure for a night of a little too much fun.

October 31, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  15. Joe

100% FOOLPROOF: The key is preventative medicine. If you already have the hangover, it's too late. BEFORE you go to sleep for the night, take two multivitamins, two Advil (or whatever headache medicine you prefer), and wash them down with as much water as you can hold. The idea is to give your body what it needs to metabolize the alcohol while you sleep. I promise you won't wake with a hangover. Went through college and extemely overindulgent 20's without a single hangover. TRY IT.

October 31, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Dee

Cold fried chicken and 7-Up work's for me.

October 31, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  17. Chunk

Shot glass filled with half pickle juice and half jameson. Then some more pickle juice mixed with whatever you'd like or straight up. Always keep jars of it in the fridge.

October 31, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  18. GaryD

Berocca

October 31, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  19. james

pho and bong hits

October 31, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  20. Caroline

When you're out drinking, stick with one type of alcohol. Beer, white wine, red wine, whitle liquor, brown liquor–don't mix them! I get less of a hangover if I don't mix sodas containing sugar with the alcohol. So use either diet sodas as mixers or use tonic or soda water.

October 31, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  21. Randy

a tall glass of watered down ice tea, Its got plenty of water to help with the dehydration and a small amount of caffeine to constrict the blood vessels in your head to make the headache go away.

October 31, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  22. Infant Sorrow

Go to Hawaii, find Sarah Marshall and ask her to pee in a cup for you. Then, fly off to London, find Aldous Snow and ask him to pee in a cup for you. Then, fly off to Los Angeles and find ANY fat Jewish kid and ask him to pee in the very same cup. You now have the urine of three different people that you had to travel the globe to get. Flush down the toilet and never do this again. Why? by now, you should realize that your hang-over was gone a long time ago.

October 31, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  23. Vick

Eat food, drink plenty of water and 2-3 multi vitamins ...

October 31, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  24. Bobby

Best cure is not to drink booze.. When people drink too much Alcohol someone usually gets hurt.. When your drunk , chances are you will do something stupid.. Nothing funny about that.. Drink responsibly.. drink water or green tea!

October 31, 2010 at 5:19 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

You're boring.

November 1, 2010 at 9:43 am |
    • Matt

What's the fun in never doing anything stupid? I rely on doing something stupid every once in a while just to make sure I'm still alive.

November 1, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  25. Tom

best cure is to stay young. no big deal in high school or college, but hangovers get much worse as the years go by . . . .

October 31, 2010 at 5:16 am |
  26. James

5 mile run. Sucks, hangover gone when your finished though.

October 31, 2010 at 3:02 am |
  27. Gondo

Dont ever stop drinking. No hangover. Simple...

October 31, 2010 at 2:12 am |
    • Jack

Genius!

November 1, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  28. KMac

A peanut butter sandwich, a bottle of Gatorade, and 2 Excedrin migraine, before bed if you're able, and the hangover doesn't even occur.

October 30, 2010 at 8:37 pm |
    • Gangrene

The caffine in the Excedrin helps to keep your metabolism revved while you are sleeping. It really does help your liver to process more alcohol. Just asprin and a No-Doze will work even better. Tylenol competes for processing time in your liver. As a result, it slows down the rate at which alcohol is metabolizes.

November 1, 2010 at 9:48 am |
      • Gangrene

grrr. no spell check. no coffee in the office either. :-( ^metabolized

November 1, 2010 at 9:50 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is no bueno for us alkies.

November 1, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  29. nopenoteven

Almost alcohol drink the next morning , not needing to be "hair of the dog", has been tested over many years personally, and with others. The old school explanation was that your body reacts to the alcohol as a poison, and works to combat it, but can only handle so much before shutting down. Then the hangover kicks in, because their's still untreated alcohol in your system. Having another alcohol drink triggers your body to begin combating the perceived poison again, and hangover dissipates quickly. This was tested occasionally when access to herb wasn't available, and still worked.
    Your mileage may very, but it worked for us.

October 30, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
    • nopenoteven

Almost any* alcohol < edit

October 30, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  30. VikingBlood

Better beer, wine, or booze do make a difference. Water before bed and Aspirin or Tylenol PM are good if you're nervous about early AM work. Stomach woes can be dealt with using Papaya, Acidophilus, Pro-Biotics, or Apple Cider Vinegar. Morning food ANYTHING WITH LOTS OF BACON and a Coke, plus Bananas. No joke though, best all time cure if you have access to it, pure Oxygen through a 100% rebreather mask, so cops, ambulance, firefighters, and pilots only basically, but it does a miraculuos job in just a couple of puffs.

October 30, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  31. Jdizzle McHammerpants @ work on Saturday

The more I look at this pic, the more I dig this chick.

Hey, I rhymed!

October 30, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  32. JP

over a liter of water before you go to bed with a package of goldfish and then a bottle of gatorade in the morning. Always gets me better

October 30, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  33. MadHatt

Pedialyte, 2 advil, 3 cups of water, pure O2 and youre ready to do it again.

October 30, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
  34. Shannon

I definitely agree with pho. Maybe it's the salt (which induces you to drink more water? hmmm...), maybe it's the herbs (culantro, Thai basil, star anise, black pepper among others) but it's definitely become a comfort food in my book. My BF and I have noticed, though, that after eating it sober, we get what we call a "pho high." It's just so good we get dizzy eating it. Definitely worth the short trip down to Little Saigon to get some at Pho 88 (check it out if you're in Orlando).

Other than that – lots of water, ibuprofen. Ginger tea does wonders for a jumpy stomach and helps rehydrate, too. Surprisingly, moaning out loud seems to help. It's kind of like venting about something that makes you angry.

October 30, 2010 at 11:53 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants @ work on Saturday

LOL

October 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
1 2
Next entry »
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,627 other followers