Lunchtime poll – food hangovers
October 26th, 2010

This is chicken-on-a-stick. It's sold at the Chevron station on the corner of University and South Lamar near the Ole Miss campus. If you happen to find yourself feasting upon it, you've been drinking.

I did, and I had been, and that's the way most of my weekend in Oxford, Mississippi and Memphis, Tennessee went. I had a blast, but back home, I feel like lukewarm death and am gorging myself on raw veggies and kiddie pools of New York City tap water in an attempt to right the ship.

I'm on the mend, but in the meantime, I wanna know - what's your go-to atonement for overindulgence or just plain ol' crappy (yet delicious) eating?

For more on chicken-on-a-stick, hunt down the Southern Food 2010 issue of the Oxford American and gobble up the definitive essay on the subject by America's funniest human, Jack Pendarvis. If you haven't been reading his work, you've been wasting your life.

1. me

After I overindulge, I generally don't feel that well to begin with, so I don't eat much of anything till I feel normal again. Not a fast per-say, but I don't compensate by eating healthy when I don't feel like eating.

March 28, 2011 at 11:36 am | Reply
  2. tdawg

Wow. This article (just being here) speaks to why we as a nation are obese. Sure salt and fat are good. Why do you think fast food is so popular? Personally, I don't eat what others "cook." Gross

November 1, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Reply
  3. Emily

I'm confused if the question is to get over the feeling of eating greasy-fatty-foods or an actual hangover? In the case that it's over-indulgence of nasty-tasty treats – I marked 'other' so I feel obligated to explain briefly. I recently cut out junk food and a lot of bread. A piece of toast or garlic bread with my pasta now and then...but no biscuts, bread baskets, muffins or bagels. No chips or Cheeze-It's either. Fruits and veggies and salad with a sneaky post-supper desert a few times a week. Overall I feel better in the past 2 weeks than I have all year.

A hangover? – Puke it out if possible right when I get home – That's right, a finger or two down the throat will do it. A glass of water and 2 tylenol. Then the next day? – WATER WATER WATER, and sleep.

October 27, 2010 at 9:33 am | Reply
  4. anonymous1

i can't snap back from overeating...so i joined oa!

October 27, 2010 at 7:03 am | Reply
  5. Anna

The only times I've ever had a food hangover were from KFC (which I don't eat anymore because it makes me feel gross) or thanksgiving dinner. To combat those, I eat really lightly for awhile, drink lots of water, and exercise as soon as I feel like I can move again. Come to think of it, that's pretty much what I do for an alcohol hangover too except I make sure to eat starches like potatoes or bread to soak up the alcohol and make me feel less pukey.

October 26, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  6. kj

garbage plate in the ROC, everything on it

October 26, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Reply
    • me@KJ

If you can find a Nick's that is open anymore.

March 28, 2011 at 11:36 am | Reply
  7. Cole

I over-indulge every single weekend, or at least allow myself the room to do just that. After a week of exercise/moderation and a killer Saturday on the treadmill, I can eat about 8k calories on the weekend and not gain a pound. Gonna down a lot of McRibs soon...

October 26, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Reply
  8. Will

That looks horrible! I don't mind eating fried chicken (and certainly other foods that aren't the most heathy)- but that looks abominable.

October 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Reply
  9. uni-crackey

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............DO U EAT CHEESE OR TACOS? CHOOSE ONE OR SUFFER PERMANENT BRAIN DAMAGE!!!

October 26, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Reply
  10. DrunkFood

my friend always gets the fat bast*rd which has fried chicken, mac n cheese, banana peppers, hot fries, and ranch YUMMMMM

October 26, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Reply
  11. DrunkFood

At Ohio state campus there is a restaraunt called PJ's, and they offer these sandwhiches called fat sandwhiches, they have all different kinds and are strictly meant to be eaten after a heavy night of binge drinking. My favorite is the fat juggornaut and contains fried chicken, cheese sticks, hushpuppies, fries, bbq

October 26, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Reply
  12. KrissyStar

That looks so nasty... why would you eat that????

October 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Reply
  13. Rachel

Whataburger taquitos and a Dr. Pepper

October 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Reply
  14. Shooting Star

Cheeseburger. Oh yeahhhh

October 26, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  15. Michael

An ice cold Red Bull always works for me...

October 26, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Reply
  16. BadgerFan

Don't be a pussy and just start drinking again to keep the buzz going

October 26, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Reply
  17. amayda

Pineapple is my go-to make-me-feel-better food when I have overdone it with overly rich foods.

October 26, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

That's fascinating. What is it about pineapple, and how did you come upon that? I know it's got some particular enzymes in it – might those be the helper?

October 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Reply
      • amayda

It has been most helpful immediately after the meal. It has always made me feel less full, which has been especially helpful on potluck pig-out days. I think that it's just especially acidic and helps your body to breakdown the extra food. I don't remember how I came upon that trick, but it has always worked for me!

October 26, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Reply
      • GeoRox

It's probably because pineapple contains Bromine which is supposed to aid in digestion.

October 27, 2010 at 1:30 am | Reply
  18. Caroline

It depends, if I ate something that is crappy, greasy and generally bad for me (cheese fries anyone?) then I just live with it and wait for that gross feeling to subside. If it's from the devil alcohol, then it's aspirin, chocolate milk, either cold chicken or pizza, lying around moaning and swearing never again...until the next time.

October 26, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Reply
  19. Evil Grin

A lot of times I'll just eat soup or rice and drink lots of water for a couple of days. Usually does the trick. But I suppose it depends on just how much I overindulged and how I feel. Sometimes I'll exercise and other times I just don't eat. But most of the time I just go liquid for a couple of days and it seems to work well.

October 26, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Reply
    • deathbydonuts

A couple days is a long recovery! I've only had to do that twice. My works hangovers now just include liquid and then some food later in the day. My mild hangovers come with cravings for the strangest foods, and I can never predict what I will want to eat. The best cure for a long night of drinking on a Saturday and a bad hangover on Sunday is lying in bed watching 9 hours of football. That's how I spent every fall semester in college.

October 26, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Reply
      • Evil Grin

I've always been an overachiever. ;)

October 26, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Reply
  20. Jdizzle McHammerpants

That looks like crap. In Korea there were restaurants all around the American bars that we'd frequent. There they had GOOD chicken on a stick. Perfect way to end a night of boozin'. It didn't look like that fried rat pictured here. It was grilled chicken breast that had been marinated in homemade BBQ sauce. I have yet to taste any better BBQ sauce than Korean made, though I don't care for too much Korean cousine otherwise.

October 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Reply
    • Evil Grin

Do you go to Korea often?

I'm asking as someone who's never been able to leave the country, but has always wanted to, so is obnoxiously nosy as a result.

October 26, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Reply
      • Truth

My wife is from Vietnam, and I have been there six times, also once to China for relief work from the 2008 earthquake. The nice thing about a lot of Asia, is that it is fairly inexpensive after the airfare. You can stay in VN for about ten bucks a night and get a GREAT restaurant meal for about five bucks. The people are also VERY friendly and the food is amazing. If you are dining alone, it is fairly common for people to ask you to join them. If you at all ever have the chance to go it is well worth it.

October 26, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Reply
      • Evil Grin

Hey thanks, Truth. I love Vietnamese food, so hearing that makes me want to visit even more. When I finally can afford to travel, maybe this will be my first stop.

October 26, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Nope. Spent a year there in 2004 when I was in the Air Force. Anytime I hear 'chicken-on-a-stick' it reminds me of those awesome treats we would buy 3-4 at a time. It's lunchtime and now I have myself watering at the mouth thinking about it.

October 26, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Reply
      • Evil Grin

I wonder if you could find a way to make it here, Jdizzle. Do you think you could find a recipe for it?

October 26, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Reply
      • theskinnyapple

Korean bbq is the best I've ever had. Living in Hawaii for a year I got spoiled! You can find recipes online, it's not hard to do a homemade version! Marinate, kabob the meat and grill! Much much better (and healthier) than the horrible, fried chicken above! I'd eat that once a year, not once a week!!!

October 26, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Reply