Candy sales king-sized this Halloween
October 20th, 2010

It’s the most sugar-fueled time of the year. With the kids door-belling and everyone telling you, “there’s nothing to fear” - except maybe that one house down the street that’s handing out apples.

October 31, better known to the costumed masses as Halloween, is the highest-grossing holiday of the year for the candy industry, according to the National Confectioners Association, the leading trade group for the entire confection industry. Total spending for candy this season is expected to reach nearly $2 billion.

And when it comes to trick-or-treating, the majority of Americans are putting the emphasis on the "treat" aspect – despite a recent bandy of healthy eating initiatives.

One such initiative, led by "A Bunch of Baby Carrot Farmers," is aiming to make the brightly-colored vegetables the junk food of choice this Halloween.

The campaign, spearheaded by Bolthouse Farms, originally garnered national attention this past summer when it set its sights on the junk food industry – touting the slogan, "Eat 'Em Like Junk Food," and marketing the crunchy snacks like potato chips in similar-shaped bags and in vending machines.

Now, the campaign is letting its fangs out with the launch of Scarrots - a new, healthier kind of Halloween “treat.”

Taking on the single-serve candy industry, Scarrots are offered in 1.7-ounce bags for health-conscious homeowners to hand out instead of the usual candied confections.

"We've been blown away by the response to this campaign," said Jeff Dunn, the chief executive officer of Bolthouse Farms, in a release. "… We've learned that is there's a huge groundswell of support behind our effort to brand Baby Carrots as the ultimate junk food and we're excited to offer snackers of all kinds a new Halloween treat."

Yet, despite the increased availability and marketing efforts of such Halloween-centric snack packets of carrots, pretzels and dried fruit - sugar is still the pumpkin king.

Candy sales are on track to increase by 7 percent from 2009, with approximately three-quarters (72.2 percent) of households expected to hand out candy this All Hallows Eve, according to the National Retail Federation’s 2010 Halloween Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey. The NRF is the world's largest retail trade association.

The average American family will spend $20.29 on candy this season, the NRF projects.

Turns out the majority of Americans think Halloween should be enjoyed for just what it is – a day to get all jacked up on sugar. The only fruit they’ll be wanting is in gummy or pull-and-peel form.

As for vegetables? Candy corn, of course. There are 364 other days a year for Scarrots.

What is your favorite Halloween treat? And is it acceptable to give out small packs of carrots, pretzels, trail mix and other healthy likes to trick-or-treaters?

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Wrangler Rover

I like to give out frozen McDs ketchup packets.

September 20, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  2. BMihaelll

We still can’t quite think that I could always be one of those reading the important ideas found on your web blog. My family and I are sincerely thankful for the generosity and for offering me possibility pursue my chosen career path. Appreciate your sharing the important information I obtained from your website.

September 20, 2011 at 3:10 am |
  3. HRSanders

Thanks again an eye to the blog. Awesome.

September 18, 2011 at 5:27 am |
  4. best ccna training course

After getting achieved your CCNA certification, you're prepared to start working! Although finding your creative CCNA job might be troublesome, it's attainable to seek out one with a little bit bit of effort. Good planning goes a great distance in success in this job market. It's important to have clear objectives in mind when looking for a job, and only contemplate those which you are qualified to do. Do not set your expectations too high when you find yourself unique beginning you will receive to start via an entry-level place and count on to work your manner up as you prove your abilities.

September 12, 2011 at 9:16 am |
  5. shabalabadingdong

ping

October 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
    • Chris

Great costume idea site:

July 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  6. shabalabadingdong

bananas

October 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  7. halloweenie

if you feed your kids correctly the rest of the days of the year you wouldnt be so concerned about one day out of 365 parents need to be smart about what they let their kids have and let them be kids and enjoy sugar one day of the year

October 21, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  8. unknown

candy sales are high but the candy is great!!!!!!!!!!$$$$$!!!!!

October 21, 2010 at 10:50 am |
  9. KandyCorn

"Veggies" (hate that word) are not always good for you. Breaking story today: Texas food factory closed, packaged produce recalled.Officials probing deaths, illnesses linked to fruit and vegetables shipped from processing plant.

October 21, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  10. kae

as a trick maybe, but not as a treat

October 21, 2010 at 2:49 am |
    • Marley

The Top Ramen is a trick? Maybe... but IN THIS ECONOMY, I think any kind of 'food' would be welcomed.

October 21, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  11. Giana

I'm a teenager, and although I don't go trick or treating anymore, I remember that I always hated it when someone was handing out pretzels or ANYTHING healthy on Halloween. I dressed up like a snow fairy for gosh sake, just give me some candy! Oh, and I <3 Skittles. :)

October 20, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  12. Shrike

Man, I live in the hood. If I hand out carrots, I will be shanked. And it would be justified.

October 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm |

LOL @ 'shanked'

I was thinking of giving out packages of Top Ramen.

October 20, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  13. T. Bagher

We like to give out healthful snacks. Candy is bad for you, you know. Lots of fresh veggies, and apples. We don't like to see kids get too agitated on too much sugar. Healthful is the way to go. Oh, and bring the kiddos home early, as they need to get a good night's sleep to function in school the next day.

October 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |

LOL. Teabagger.

October 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  14. RETARDED

ur stupid

October 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm |
    • Ann

I agree! I think some parents care more about getting candy then the kids do. Closet candy bingers! PARENTS let your kids decide and educate them about the healthy snacks vs. the candy. Just because you're upset that the house down the street handed out a granola treat rather than a full sized snickers. Who knows, your kids just might prefer the healthier snacks. Maybe keep the hippie/rude comments to yourself, have your kid try it and see if they like it. God forbid the people who are trying to make America a healthier place. Enjoy your McDonalds!

October 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
      • HealthyOne1

Unfortunately for you, God says that we are to be healthy...

October 20, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
      • Sara

Mmmm... McDonalds!

October 20, 2010 at 9:55 pm |
  15. Cole

If someone was handing out "healthy candy" for Halloween, I'd be mighty tempted to grab the eggs out of the fridge and test my arm. Heck, I'd be tempted to go hunt down some ostrich eggs and (try to) throw them at the clueless.

I just finished a small bag of peppermint patties (I only meant to have 3 pieces!), so I'm tempted to say that they're my favorite, but... Favorite Halloween treat was by far the Snickers bar (And bless those homes that hand out the full-sized ones instead of the mini).

October 20, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  16. MrsFizzy

Um, Isn't the reason candy sales are so big because it's so dam expensive now?! Really, spending $20+ just for what looks like a half decent amount that might last half the night kind of takes the fun out of it.

October 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  17. Nuclear Johnson

Beth,

That "Halloween Fairy" idea is really awesome. Although a little bit of a suggestion to tweak it, I would let them pick out however many they're allowed to eat that night, and then they're allowed to pick out like five more that they can eat later. Because part of the fun of Halloween is having leftover candy the next morning you get to wake up to.

And uh...what's this you say about kids "figuring out" Santa?

October 20, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  18. samsteve

CANDY CORN is so yummers!

October 20, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  19. Beth

We take our kids trick-or-treating like anyone else. Then, when they get home, they pick out 10 pieces of candy to eat then and there. The rest of the candy is left in the basket for the Halloween Fairy. Overnight, the "Halloween Fairy" comes and trades the candy for a stuffed animal or other small toy they've been eyeballing for a while. By the time the kids figure it out (along with Santa), they'll be too old to go trick-or-treating anyway.

October 20, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
  20. tct

I can just see your house after giving kids veggies instead of candy.

October 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
    • Marly

LOL. Throw in an IDAHO POTATOE. Unbaked.

October 20, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  21. TheseThingsMatter

How do i become a candy corn farmer?

October 20, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
    • RichardHead

You first have to go in front of a Judge and have your name changed to CANDY! Wear coveralls smeared with dirt,pig crap and for the finishing touch-a Green John Deere Hat. All the Mexicans here in Texas have used this disguise for years and are very successful!

October 20, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
  22. Sherri

Maybe you can give out trail mix, but only if it has some chocolate in it!

October 20, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
    • Truth@Richhead

Ugh!
      Trail Mix = Hippie, liberal treehugger chow!

Be an American! Give Chocolate!

October 20, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Ha! Hippe tree-hugger chow.

Peppered beef jerky and water for me on the trail. Not that I'm ever hiking.

October 21, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  23. Kyle Mac

I love candy so this is big and because of halloween it effacts us even more.

October 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  24. Jordan

Candy is such a serious thing, these problems matter.

October 20, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
  25. Truth

Halloween is a very liberal holiday, which is part of a conspiracy on th epart of the left to indoctrinate the next generation to the theme of entitlement of getting things for free. Today candy, tomorrow healthcare. Typical for the Party of Hate.

October 20, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

You've been slacking, Truth. Way to get back on the wagon.

October 20, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
      • Truth

I figure I can lay back a little bit given the bloodletting that will happen in two weeks when Pelosi, Fwank, Reid and company lose their backsides...

October 20, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
      • RichardHead

I concur all of the future concurences whether factual or implied. HUH? Yea,it's good to have Truth back!

October 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
  26. Hamburglar

I wait until after Halloween to buy candy since its more than half off. I stock up on stuff like pumpkin shaped Reeses since the peanut butter to chocolate ratio is so much better than normal Reeses.

October 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
    • lovable97

im so with u on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
    • ilovehalloween

wow i thought I was the only one who noticed the peanut butter to chocolate ratio! same goes for resees valentine hearts, easter eggs and christmas trees, yumm....

October 20, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  27. Abbyka

My little brother and I would throw apples back at the house that gave them to us. Not only is it unsafe to accept fresh fruit(someone could easily put a razor in it without anyone knowing or stick it with a needle full of poison) but it's not in the spirit of Halloween. Anyone hands out veggies this year I'm leaving it on their lawn. I'm 26 so I won't throw it back, don't want to be arrested. Yes I wish my kids would eat healthy but for this one day a year they are getting dressed up to gather candy not healthy food. Why do all that work for something YOU DON'T LIKE?

October 20, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
    • Rae

The best part is when your child shares his candy with you. Some of you stop being a fun-suckers. Let the kids dress up, get candy, & have fun being a kid. Always someone who has to ruin it for the other 99%. This is referring to the parents who complain & now our kids can't dress up @ school & have Halloween parties, like we did when we were kids...

October 20, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  28. TexasRanger

These sound like New York Yankee fans to me.

October 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
    • Marly

ahahahahahaha. Which ones? The healthnuts or the sugarnuts?

October 20, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  29. Heather

If you don't give out something kids like, your house will get egged or poo-flamed. The neighbor found out the hard way when she left her lights on but didn't answer her door one Halloween night (no treat? then get tricked!). Her mailbox was covered with maple syrup the next day. Healthy treats may be reason enough to get a stink bomb tossed at your front door.

October 20, 2010 at 12:21 pm |

LOL.

October 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  30. Brattus Rattus

Jeez! Let kids be kids! With all of the horrible crap in the world today, let them dress-up, get excited, and go trick or treating! Let them get all the candy they can carry, let them have one or two pieces a day and then take the stuff they aren't eating or sick of to work and let your co-workers much on it. Kids grow up so fast these days...let them do the things kids do for as long as they can!

October 20, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
    • Beth

Actually, the "one or two pieces a day" method is more likely to do more harm than good. As far as your teeth and diet goes, if you're going to eat all the candy, it's best to go ahead and eat it all. Then you brush your teeth really well afterward and then move on with your life. Eating a couple of pieces a day for a month means that (most likely), you'll go for a whole month having extra sugar coating your teeth and confusing your diet.

October 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
  31. Kelvin

LAME, I have no problem with trying to make our diets healthier, especially children, but this is Halloween when I was a kid and got healthy snacks on Halloween I would throw that crap out. This is one day a year when we spoil our kids with candy, but thats also the point, we should only spoil our kids with retarded amount of candy this one time a year. Stop giving unhealthy food to kids the rest of the year and not only would that make us healthier but it would make Halloween that much more awesome for the kids. HALLOWEEN IS FOR THE CHILDREN!!!

October 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
    • Marly

Let's see. When I was a kid the stuff that was 'thrown out crap' was apples (they could have razor blades in them) and cheap taffy type candy. We ADORED the people who gave us Three Musketeers, Snickers, Milky Way bars, Double Bubble gum, AND WAX LIPS!!! LOL. Fun times.

October 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
    • HealthyOne1

Halloween is NOT for the children – by definition. Think about the word's roots (English teacher) hallow (or Holy) and ween. The "holiday" (Holy day) is hardly that – it is the most evil day of the year, and processed / man made anything will always be bad, because of man's failability (we are not, and never will be, perfect)

October 20, 2010 at 9:05 pm |
  32. becca

Candy should be sold with a tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush because unnatural sugar creates decay in the form of cavities! Sugar-free candy means it is sweetened by artificial, man-made sweetners that are powerful chemicals not good for the body. My boyfriend's a dentist and I hear about this all the time.

October 20, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
    • raaa

Yeah you really have to be dating a dentist to know that sugar is bad for your teeth...

October 20, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
    • Ann

I agree with Becca about the toothpaste and tooth brush. Some of you may think, "well duh, we totally make our kids brush their teeth." But there are a lot of parents who don't even understand or care about their own dental hygiene, and don't understand the importance to educate their children. Lets face it, halloween is most likely always going to be about the sugar high and the awesome taste of candy. Healthy snacks are great to incorporate because they might get the kiddo's curious or give parents an idea for next year, but I think a great thing we can all do is educate. Educate kids and others about the importance of dental hygiene, the pros and cons of candy, and the pros and cons of healthier snacks. Our kids are listening...

October 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  33. MorbidMG

My favorite is Haribo Goldbaren! Nothing beats the Gummi!

October 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
    • HealthyOne1

Yeah!!!

October 20, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  34. Marly

Sugar-free candy items contain Aspertame. I'd rather give kids real sugar than a cancer – and other disease – causing treat. Fact: Sugar is not the cause of Diabetes.

October 20, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  35. The big bad candy

i like candy but it caused me to get teeth removed, it painful. Oh yay no trolls commenting first comment or somthing like that

October 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

First Reply!

October 20, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
    • Erin

Uhhh.... it wasn't the candy that caused you to lose your teeth, it was the lack of brushing 2x a day + flossing. Everyone should know that if you do nothing else, you should FLOSS every day. Also, rinse your mouth out vigorously after you eat candy if you can't brush right away. Finally, don't brush too hard or you could have enamel loss at the gumline.

October 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Brittany

LEAVE HALLOWEEN ALONE-sniff,sniff!

October 20, 2010 at 11:46 am |
    • ma

Agreed!

October 20, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  37. joe

watch out for the razor blades..

October 20, 2010 at 11:45 am |
    • Marly

LOL. That's so 1970s!! I haven't heard of blades in candy in ages. I think the most dangerous treats are 'homemade' ones. Lots of people are unclean and you never know when you're eating something that has dog hair in it. That's why I avoid potlucks. Nasty food from nasty kitchens. Don't h8t.

October 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  38. T

How about sugar-free candy items ?

October 20, 2010 at 11:43 am |
    • Marly

Yeah. Tofu sounds great. Did you know that Tofu is the junk food of vegetarians? Give the kids some frikkin real candy for once. Or just turn off your lights and don't play.

October 20, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
    • ma

SF candy only if it came with a roll of toilet paper! Haha! (from all the needed trips from the bathroom from it!)

October 20, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  39. flourchild

It's one day out of the year!, for pete's sake. Let the kids have fun! Almost every tradition has been changed or sacrificed for the sake of political correctness. Give them veggies the rest of thel year, but please just leave Halloween alone!

October 20, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  40. Joshua

You health nuts have got to be kidding me? WTF happened to you as children? Were you forced to eat fruit on Halloween while watching the other kids eat candy? Its HALLOWEEN for goodness sakes!! Go for the sweets! Do the right thing and pass out candy for the children and watch em laugh and play and have a great time experiencing halloween in their own neighborhoods. We're not talking about obesity in America. No, you are talking about it...just you. We're talking about a friggin sweetness sugar loaded holiday that comes once a year. You treat it like it's some kinda epidemic. You guys are just plain mean. CANDY CORN FTW.

October 20, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  41. Kerrie

Last Halloween, one of my friends opted to give trick-or-treaters a choice: candy or little toys (stuff like kids' party favors) and the little toys won out by a landslide. The toys are still a treat, but w/o the sugar rush. They are planning the same for this year too.

October 20, 2010 at 11:36 am |
    • bwp88

Right. Little toys from China coated with lead paint and cadmium.

October 20, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
      • Marly

OH SNAP!!! LOL. Hmmm. Sugar or lead-laden toys. Sugar!!!!!! This topic is hilarious. Attn Healthnuts – unprocessed food (fresh vegetables for example) – have been grown with biogens that make them ginormous and then they're sprayed with pesticides and then covered in a preservative - all so that you can go on believing your delusion that you're eating healthily. That would be why they sell that special spray at the whole foods stores to 'wash' your vegetables and fruit. That makes SO MUCH sense. Use a chemical to wash off chemicals from supposedly 'organic food'. Please get a clue. It's free. I just gave it to you.

October 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
    • Bee

Don't believe it, but what neighborhood do you live in so I can avoid it like the plague.

October 20, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
    • Hamburglar

his candy must have sucked

October 20, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I canz haz cheezHamburglar?

October 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  42. mary

my husband and i rarely eat sugar of any kind. we haven't been sick in 5 years. it's what you put in your stomach that makes you sick. we also do not eat any food that's been processed or in a can. you can eat like that and still have a variety of tastes and not worry about it later in years. too many chemicals from being processed.

October 20, 2010 at 11:33 am |
    • Marly

Yeah. Give the kids raw broccoli or something. When they get home and dump their bags to sort their candy, what you gave them will be in the pile that goes directly to the trashcan. That's encouraging waste. IN THIS ECONOMY?? C'mon. Halloween is for funsies! Save the broccoli for Thanksgiving. Sigh.

October 20, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
    • Lee

lady, I do the same as you and I get sick twice a year...once in the spring, once in the fall. I also exercise too, you want to tell me why your statement is unfounded, or should I?

October 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
    • MrsFizzy

But did you choose to eat that way when you were a CHILD??

October 20, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
  43. WickedWitch

To Hell I say about giving out Treats! It's the Tricks that make this night memorable. The old Fresh Dog PooPoo in a brown paper bag,sneak up to the front door,set it on fire and ring the doorbell! Ah Yes, the good old days-and you can learn some new curse words as they try to scrape off the Poo from their shoes!

October 20, 2010 at 11:31 am |
    • bwp88

These days that would qualify as a terroristic threat.

October 20, 2010 at 11:58 am |
      • WickedWitch

D'OH-So True. How about chocolate covered Prunes? That should make their night.

October 20, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
  44. Bob Tickle

Candy Corn rules! But only if it is Brach's.

October 20, 2010 at 11:28 am |
    • ma

Yessssss!

October 20, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
    • Jen

Did you look to see that Brachs candy corn is now made in Mexico. Some still made by a company in New England. Look for it. Boycott Brachs bring candy corn production back to the US... power to the purse!

October 20, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
    • Marly

I LOVE candy corn when its PUMPKIN corn – so round and fat and chewy. Mmmmm.

October 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Joe

heres another article to get health food nuts started up. but in answer to question my fav candy is 100 grand candy bars..

October 20, 2010 at 11:22 am |
    • Ann

You're right Joe. Damn us health nuts just trying to extend the lives of Americans. How dare us!

October 20, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
      • Simon Jester

Yes "how dare you!" mind your own business, extend your own life, I will eat what I want.

October 20, 2010 at 7:39 pm |
      • Marly

Extending the life of Americans is actually a massive PROBLEM. I live in a retirement town and everyone here is at Walmark's (as my 52 year old neighbor on disability

October 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
      • Marly

Oops. People live too long as it is. My area is CLOGGED with people whose lives have been extended due to modern medicine and they are miserable. The younger disabled ones CHOOSE to eat like crap and live off of disability and SSI. The older ones are also disabled and at Walmark's (sic) buying one more week of life in the vitamin aisle. It's insane. They shuffle or are in motorized carts or those walker things. On government paycheck day, the stores are packed. Let the people go already!

October 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Qliner

oops just saw your comment. Um yes, candy is very bad for you. Bad bad sugar. Even candy corn.

October 20, 2010 at 11:18 am |
    • Shelly

If any one has some problem with candy, then chocolate covered strawberries will be the best alternate of suger candy.Am i right?

October 23, 2010 at 3:08 am |
  47. Qliner

mmmm candy corn

October 20, 2010 at 11:17 am |
  48. Paul

Healthy alternatives are a great idea. Candy is pure sugar and sugar consumption compromises the immune system and leads to poor health. Why do you think Americans are so unhealthy?

October 20, 2010 at 11:13 am |
    • raaa

Thanks Mr. Obvious. I think for one day out of the year we can let the kids have some candy.

October 20, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
      • lizbeth

Agree with you raa ... It's Halloween!!! Let the kids get candy. my personal favorite "Candy Corn" will eat them till I am sick. But only have them around now, cause any other time is not right.. Enjoy the fun and excitement Halloween provides cause one day we may no longer have it.

October 20, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
    • Mary

I think Paul likes Peter!

October 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
    • Really?

Americans are unhealthy b/c they eat at fast food joints a lot. It's not the one day a year candy fest that is Halloween. It's time America wakes up and realizes that it's all the other crap.

October 20, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Candy sucks. Except Mexican Candy. Nothing beats that.

October 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
    • Peppermint larry

candy in your butt, mmmmmmmm

October 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
      • RETARDED

your retarded

October 20, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
    • Chris

Great site for costume ideas:

July 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm |