Lunchtime poll – hangover helpers
October 19th, 2010

Yesterday evening at a Polynesian bar a few blocks off Las Vegas Boulevard, I hoisted a tiki mug (or two) with a dear old friend. A couple of hours in, I excused myself to the ladies room and as I was fussing over my lipstick in the mirror, a woman lurched in and beelined for a stall behind me. Signs pointed to her...not being well.

Can't say she hadn't been warned. Each drink's potency level is demarcated on the menu; two cartoon skulls means a gentle buzz and five - hold onto your kula shaker. My grand total for the evening was a five, and judging from the distress I overheard - and the bucket I noted the bartender toting over to the dark dais where her party had been whooping it up - she netted out at a 10+.

One red-eye flight and a bumpy cab ride back to Brooklyn, I'm fresh as a daisy. I cannot imagine this day is being similarly kind to to our wounded Wahine.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Lunchtime Poll • Sip

« Previous entry
  1. g-i-uh-oh

Lucky me, never needed a hangover cure. Generations of alcoholics who came before me have bestowed an immunity to the symptoms of hangovers to me. So I can drink and drink and not feel a thing except thirsty in the morning. Maybe not so lucky?

January 3, 2011 at 3:07 am | Reply
  2. HottBoyyi69n360

Yes! Def Pedialyte. It DOES restore your electrolytes and re-balances your fluids. There are all kinds of myths out there, but my friends & I buy the Pedialyte Popsicles & they always work like a charm for all of us. The Pedialyte drink works just as well as the popsicles. Gatorade will also help, buy NOT as quickly & works NO WHERE near as well a Pedialyte. Hands down I would choose Pedialyte over Gatorade any-day of the week. Pedialyte relieves symptoms in just a little over an hour. Gatorade takes like 5-9 hours before you gegin to feel better! Ohh yeah, and with that Pedialyte maybe try a small amount of Xanax to go with it. It has belped me very well! Take care all. Let me know how this remedy works for you all!!!

December 8, 2010 at 1:16 am | Reply
  3. Alpc11

about 10-12 xanax. You will feel no pain but will sleep abot 12 -14 hours.

November 7, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Reply
  4. Deepzone8

@drinkhoist #hoist for when you know its goign to hurt in the morning

November 3, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Reply
  5. Imbro Dirka

Many say coconut water is the cure for hangover, read more here: http://www.vitacocowater.com/

November 3, 2010 at 7:44 am | Reply
  6. Terrence

Drink the same drink that you drank the night before. one cup will do

October 21, 2010 at 2:16 am | Reply
  7. Booze Hound

Morning after bloody mary gets you back in the game

October 20, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Reply
  8. blackHat

If you're someone (like myself) who can't resist the pairing of alcohol and cigarettes, you probably know that the more you smoke, the worse the hangover. Of course, drinking water before bed helps.

Once the morning comes, what does the trick for me, usually, is strong, black coffee, orange juice, and breakfast Salvadoreno-style: fried plantains, black beans, cheese, two fried eggs, cream (i sometimes use yogurt) and salsa. Plantains, especially, replenish potassium you've likely jettisoned throughout frequent trips to the restroom.

October 20, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Reply
  9. Bodiggaty

Ok for me the best is getting bojangles breakfast. Get a chicken biscuit, order of dirty rice and a big sweet tea..totally helps me feel better. Plus they have breakfast all day so if you don't wake up til like 1p or later..you can still get this which is great.

October 20, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Moons Over My Hammy from Denny's. MMMMmmmmm!

October 20, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Reply
  10. OK beer girl

I am not a quantity drinker but when I judge a beer contest (homebrew) I do tend to mix the beer styles and that can leave me feeling horrible the next morning. My cure is an alka-seltzer pack followed by a cheeseburger happy meal with a sprite. Bring on the next round!

October 20, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  11. bingie

I have found that a small-to medium microwaved potato, with or without fixins, when I get home and a while before bed makes a huge difference in the morning. If too messed up to make this then just potato chips (and water of course).

October 20, 2010 at 11:21 am | Reply
  12. Steph Cee

A bottle water and an asprin first thing in the morning followed by a bowl of Menudo and a cold Pepsi! Works everytime!

October 20, 2010 at 11:17 am | Reply
  13. Tom

A bloody mary works. Just one though, more than one gets to be too much.

October 20, 2010 at 11:07 am | Reply
  14. TK

PHO! this Vietnamese soup is under 10.00 & is the best cure of a hangover if you can get to the restaurant. I LIVE BY IT! yummy!5.99 & you can get a bowl of your choice of PHO.

October 20, 2010 at 11:07 am | Reply
  15. Heavy

Buncha losers. If you don't drink you won't have to deal with a hangover...

OK, just kidding. I'm actually drunk right now. weeeeeeee!!!

October 20, 2010 at 11:06 am | Reply
  16. doc

THC = Total Hangover Cure

October 20, 2010 at 10:50 am | Reply
  17. angie

Drink the following about 30 minutes apart: start with 3oz coconut water (found at grocery stores), one shot (1.5oz) pickle juice (just drink it from your jar of pickles), and 2 tablets alka seltzer. Fresh as a daisy!

October 20, 2010 at 10:44 am | Reply
  18. Brian

McDonalds always works for me. A fountain Coke from there always seems to taste better. A few double cheeseburgers and a fountain Coke = No hangover

October 20, 2010 at 10:35 am | Reply
  19. Kevin

The Tums helps a bit. Doesn't totally get rid of the stomach though. I take Prevacid for reflux and still doesn't help. Worst part about drinking! Takes the fun right out of it.

October 20, 2010 at 10:14 am | Reply
  20. ryan

1 20 oz mountain dew and 1 20 oz gatorade.

Or a Magic Coke from McDonalds

October 20, 2010 at 10:04 am | Reply
  21. Paul

Pickle Juice – preferrably from kosher Dills. All the salt and water is perfect for a hangover.

October 20, 2010 at 10:02 am | Reply
  22. Caroline

Chocolate milk and either a slice of cold pizza or cold chicken. I don't know why, but I always have them in my fridge, and it always works for me.

October 20, 2010 at 10:01 am | Reply
  23. Stace

coconut water is better than water or gatorade its a natural electrolyte drink. Greasy food just is a temp. fix. You will feel bad again later... eat alot of fruit for the rehydration factor, get up and move around to work it out of your system. it works everytime for me ... and I used to get wicked hangovers and spend the day in bed eating crap so i know both sides of it .... B viatamin and water before bed, lots of liquids and good for you food in the AM is the way to go .... although hair of the dog has been sucessful for me a few times in the past.

October 20, 2010 at 9:59 am | Reply
  24. Jax

usually a happy meal at McDonald's does the trick :)

October 20, 2010 at 9:57 am | Reply
  25. Cynical

Marijuana and some HOT green chile

October 20, 2010 at 9:51 am | Reply
  26. julz

diet coke and a loaded subway sandwich works everytime!

October 20, 2010 at 9:48 am | Reply
  27. Old Pro

My no-fail hangover cure is simple – I take 2 Dramamine pills before I get into bed. The next morning I'm a little tired, but the Dramamine takes care of the spinning and stomach aches. I drink a lot of water with a splash of juice or Vitaminwater with potassium and take headache medicaine in the morning. Just don't take non-drowsy Drammine – it doesn't work as well.

October 20, 2010 at 9:36 am | Reply
  28. rsw

1st smoke a bowl while you do that heat up a nice bowl of menudo works everytime and always lots of liquids

October 20, 2010 at 9:32 am | Reply
  29. greengiant

icey b-hit....kills headache, nausea, and puts you back to sleep till you are better.

October 20, 2010 at 9:28 am | Reply
  30. bmr

Don't drink! But if you can't give up alcohol, you should drink water throughout the night, PACE YOUSELF with the alcohol intake (which is the hardest part once you start drinking), eat, and drink plenty of water before you go to bed. This is the only way to keep the hangover to a minimum. All this talk about hangovers just makes me happy that I am now a teetotaler. I drank a lot in my twenties and am glad I got that need out of my system. It's much more fun to hear the stories and pity people, than to BE the one hungover.

October 20, 2010 at 9:18 am | Reply
  31. datsright

A banana, a multi vitamin, and a large glass of water before going to bed always works without fail.

October 20, 2010 at 9:18 am | Reply
  32. SafetyHarborSteph

2 advil, a banana and a GIANT glass of water before bed = no hangover in the morning!

October 20, 2010 at 9:15 am | Reply
  33. WMesser58

Don't Drink DUH!!!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 9:07 am | Reply
    • BadgerFan

pussy

October 20, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  34. DC

Eat a banana and drink a gatorade always works

October 20, 2010 at 8:54 am | Reply